PDA

View Full Version : Where should my eotech be placed?

Johnson184
04-14-15, 11:26
If I'm not using a magnifier, should I have it right in front of my BUIS? Or placed as far forward as I can before my rail starts? Is there a standard location for a cqb SBR?

Thanks!

46and2
04-14-15, 11:29
It's up to you I guess. As a standard, I place my red dots on T8. But that's my preference.

Alpha-17
04-14-15, 11:31
EOTechs have unlimited eye relief. I've seen them run as far forward as on the rail system, and as far back as the first slot after the BUIS. It's up to you. Find what looks natural and is easiest for you to see the reticule, and put it there.

Failure2Stop
04-14-15, 12:05
The more to the rear they are, the easier it will be to get in line with the viewing angle, which makes non-standard positions easier. This is most noticeable with small-tube optics like the Micro Aimpoints.
The further away they are, the greater the theoretical precision, but harder to get the eye in line with the available viewing angle of the glass, once again, most noticeable with small-tube optics.
Having the optic too far to the rear will interfere with head-mounted NV tubes, and limit the available mounting points for other devices.

My preference is to place the non-magnified optic just forward of the back-up and ancillary aiming devices (BUIS, magnifier/NV mount, etc), while permitting access to the illumination controls (like on the 553).
This usually puts the device over the ejection port.

You do not want to "bridge the gap", that is when a portion of the optic mount is on the upper receiver and the rest is in contact with the 12:00 rail of the handguard. This is, naturally, not an issue with monolothic uppers. The issue with bridging the gap is that it requires both rails to be in perfect alignment and identically dimensioned. Anything less than that will cause a compromise of the mounting rigidity, which will eventually lead to a failure of some sort.

Renegade04
04-14-15, 12:12
This should give you some idea.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/009_zpsd9147498.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/009_zpsd9147498.jpg.html)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/007_zpsc2f33db5.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/007_zpsc2f33db5.jpg.html)

GO_ALLOUT
04-14-15, 12:18
My understanding on red dots is as far forward as possible without bridging the gap or going onto the rail and yes with monolithic uppers this is less of an issue but the further forward, the less the frame will impede your view

SteveL
04-14-15, 12:44
I put mine all the way forward on the upper receiver. This gives me enough room to put a magnifier behind it without having to remove the rear BUS.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo98/fireman325/SBR/20141028_103156_zpsb1p4xbuf.jpg

GO_ALLOUT
04-14-15, 13:12
I'm running a Trijicon RMR obviously not the same but same principal;

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/14/5440b76db193a6274bec0d81fc90b99a.jpg

Etho
04-14-15, 15:12
Mine is as far forward as it can get on the upper. I use to place them closer to the rear, but something changed with my eyesight and I was constantly have to fight with "looking through" the reticle. Moving it forward helped.

huntswithweim
04-14-15, 16:32
Your Mom's ........ never mind I couldn't help myself.

CatSnipah
04-14-15, 16:38
Mine is as far forward as it can get on the upper. I use to place them closer to the rear, but something changed with my eyesight and I was constantly have to fight with "looking through" the reticle. Moving it forward helped.

Similar experience here.

I also like being able to drop in my flip-to-side magnifier without having to move the EoTech or remove my BUIS.

ggammell
04-14-15, 17:47
i have it set up both ways (two rifles of course). My work gun is setup to the rear, right up against the rear sight. Dept. regs dictate such. My personal gun has it slight more forward, almost to the end of the upper receiver. In use, I really can't tell the difference. Try it both ways. See how you like it.

I think its easier to put the E/XPS series further forward because of its smaller foot print than the 5XX series.

CatSnipah
04-14-15, 18:21
i have it set up both ways (two rifles of course). My work gun is setup to the rear, right up against the rear sight. Dept. regs dictate such. My personal gun has it slight more forward, almost to the end of the upper receiver. In use, I really can't tell the difference. Try it both ways. See how you like it.

I think its easier to put the E/XPS series further forward because of its smaller foot print than the 5XX series.

Good point...I should have noted that I have an XPS.

NongShim
04-14-15, 18:32
The more to the rear they are, the easier it will be to get in line with the viewing angle, which makes non-standard positions easier. This is most noticeable with small-tube optics like the Micro Aimpoints.
The further away they are, the greater the theoretical precision, but harder to get the eye in line with the available viewing angle of the glass, once again, most noticeable with small-tube optics.
Having the optic too far to the rear will interfere with head-mounted NV tubes, and limit the available mounting points for other devices.

My preference is to place the non-magnified optic just forward of the back-up and ancillary aiming devices (BUIS, magnifier/NV mount, etc), while permitting access to the illumination controls (like on the 553).
This usually puts the device over the ejection port.

You do not want to "bridge the gap", that is when a portion of the optic mount is on the upper receiver and the rest is in contact with the 12:00 rail of the handguard. This is, naturally, not an issue with monolothic uppers. The issue with bridging the gap is that it requires both rails to be in perfect alignment and identically dimensioned. Anything less than that will cause a compromise of the mounting rigidity, which will eventually lead to a failure of some sort.

You won't get much better an explanation than this.

markm
04-14-15, 19:02
I like mine the way SteveL has his. I've not tried it any further back though. Even All the way forward on the upper, it makes for a decent ghost ring sight... which is good on a EO which you can't run "ON" all the time like an Aimpoint.