PDA

View Full Version : Hunting

brothernov
04-14-15, 20:11
Hello all. I'm looking for a hunting gun, mostly hogs, whitetail deer, coyotes, etc. Thinking about going the semi-auto route as I understand the recoil will be much lighter than a bolt action. I've had a colt SOCOM for years and love it, but I'm told .556 won't reliably stop a big pig in it's tracks. I'm pretty sure I've read the entire internet regarding 308 Win/7.62 semi-autos and I know the best guns begin at around $2,700, but I'm really hoping to keep the cost under $2,000. I won't be shooting 600 yards (I can't even see that far), probably never more than 150 yards. 1/2" groups at 100 yards isn't critical either. What is critical is that it's ultra reliable, relatively lightweight, won't break if I drop it or it gets rained on, and is accurate enough to take down small/mid-sized game. Based on the size of the "kill zone" 2 MOA seems plenty accurate.

My research points me squarely in the direction of S&W, Sig Sauer, and Ruger. Of these three I'm leaning toward the Ruger. I honestly haven't read anything bad about it, but on forums like this where guys who really know what they're talking about converse, the Ruger gets no love at all. No one bad-talks it, but no one's bragging about it either. Are there compelling arguments that I should buy a different sub-$2,000 rifle, or that I need to spend quite a bit more based on my intended use?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Alpha-17
04-14-15, 20:32
If you're not married to the AR platform, both the M1A and PTR-91 would make decent options, and are in your price range. I've used both for hunting, and had success. Neither are exactly light weight, however. The SCAR 17S would also fit your requirements, save for that is far outside your price range. I don't have much experience with the rifles you mention, but I've heard good things about Sig Sauer's offerings.

Another thing to consider would be a .300 BLK AR. Whether you build it on your own, or buy it as is, you should be able to find an offering in your price range, and should be more than effective against the game you mention inside of 150 yards, especially with quality ammo.

brothernov
04-14-15, 21:29
Thanks Alpha, I'm not married to the AR platform at all, intact I started my search intentionally off of it since I already have one. I migrated toward the Benelli R1 and Browning BAR, both sub $2,000, but quickly concluded that with the exception of weighing a little less, I really get more gun in this platform. The SCAR is one of those $2700+ guns I'm wondering about - should I bite the bullet and spend more based on my needs/intended use.

Alpha-17
04-14-15, 21:39
Thanks Alpha, I'm not married to the AR platform at all, intact I started my search intentionally off of it since I already have one. I migrated toward the Benelli R1 and Browning BAR, both sub $2,000, but quickly concluded that with the exception of weighing a little less, I really get more gun in this platform. The SCAR is one of those $2700+ guns I'm wondering about - should I bite the bullet and spend more based on my needs/intended use.

That's a decision only you can make. I'm a huge fan of the SCAR, and it is an excellent performer for everything from hunting to blasting. The problem, of course, is the price, and whether or not it's good enough to justify the price tag. There are other high end guns that may perform as well, if not better than the SCAR, for cheaper.

If you have the chance, I'd recommend handling the weapons you've mentioned here, and see which one fits you better. For instance, my SCAR, fully equipped, feels lighter than a Sig 716 does bare, and the balance is better. PTRs and M1As are heavier, but to me, they feel better balanced, and less cumbersome. To each their own, I guess.

LawndartMike
04-15-15, 00:01
I just built 6.5 Grendel for less then $800. Will make a great deer/hog rifle that weighs 7 lbs with optics. With a muzzle brake there is almost no recoil and no muzzle rise. I also have an LR-243 that I think will be replaced by the Grendel and up for sale soon.

JaegerOne
04-15-15, 00:04
Not as good as the Browning, but the Remington 750 is another choice and it's less expensive.

BuzzinSATX
04-15-15, 06:22
Not sure that the .308 recoil in a bolt gun is all that bad...lots of great options there from Rem, Win, Savage, Ruger, Tilkka, Weatherby. If recoil is an issue, lots of recoil pads available that will fit your needs.

MistWolf
04-15-15, 06:59
Self loaders do not have less recoil, but the recoil is usually softer. Plenty of guys are busting hogs with 5.56 carbines but you gotta use a good bullet. The 308 would be better. The M&P-10 would make a good, economical 308 hog hunting rifle

Dirty_H
04-19-15, 12:22
If I were in your shoes I would be looking at a Springfield scout squad or AR15 in 6.8.

straitR
04-19-15, 13:40
Hello all. I'm looking for a hunting gun, mostly hogs, whitetail deer, coyotes, etc. Thinking about going the semi-auto route as I understand the recoil will be much lighter than a bolt action. I've had a colt SOCOM for years and love it, but I'm told .556 won't reliably stop a big pig in it's tracks. I'm pretty sure I've read the entire internet regarding 308 Win/7.62 semi-autos and I know the best guns begin at around $2,700, but I'm really hoping to keep the cost under $2,000. I won't be shooting 600 yards (I can't even see that far), probably never more than 150 yards. 1/2" groups at 100 yards isn't critical either. What is critical is that it's ultra reliable, relatively lightweight, won't break if I drop it or it gets rained on, and is accurate enough to take down small/mid-sized game. Based on the size of the "kill zone" 2 MOA seems plenty accurate.

My research points me squarely in the direction of S&W, Sig Sauer, and Ruger. Of these three I'm leaning toward the Ruger. I honestly haven't read anything bad about it, but on forums like this where guys who really know what they're talking about converse, the Ruger gets no love at all. No one bad-talks it, but no one's bragging about it either. Are there compelling arguments that I should buy a different sub-$2,000 rifle, or that I need to spend quite a bit more based on my intended use?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

.223/5.56 does just fine on hogs with the proper application of the right bullet. In fact, it's probably the most popular and widespread round for hog hunting at this point. There are tons of examples if you search a little, but here's 63 pages of one dude's collection of dead hogs delivered by one such example.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?94628-223-Barnes-70-Grain-TSX-Performance

That said, I know that's not the information you're asking for. So, if you're looking for a new larger caliber S/A rifle, my suggestion is to first decide on caliber, then make weight a priority when picking the rifle. If you decide on a 308, the aforementioned SCAR 17 would be a good choice for this reason. Look around for used if you need to stay at the $2000 budget, or find a way to budget a little more if that's what you need to do to get what you want the first time.

Malig8r
04-19-15, 22:39
There are numerous 308 or 300 BLK semiauto options out there now that are within your price range. Rainier Arms has a couple Daniel Defense 300 BLK rifles on sale for $1200 to $1300. Aero Precision has 308 rifles from $1500 to $1850 depending on what barrel length and if cerekoted or not.

The M1A scout squad or Socom 16 are both under your price limit. Like I said you have lots of options and that doesn't even consider the plethora of options available if you decide to build you own.

RichM
07-02-15, 11:46
Only because I'm considering it for one of my next builds;

277 Wolverine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.277_Wolverine)
Forum for the cartridge is here (http://mdws.forumchitchat.com/)
"Factory" Ammo is available here (http://www.midsouthmunitions.com/category-s/1834.htm).

Nanuk
07-02-15, 12:18
I have been thinking of building a 450 Bushmaster upper, I just happen to have an extra lower in the safe.

ColtSeavers
07-02-15, 15:24
Aaanndd just realized this thread is over a month old....

ccoker
07-13-15, 16:30
I have 5.56, 6.8, 300 blackout and 308 ARs
All very nice ones..
Guess which gets used the most for hunting?

RioGrandeGreen
07-13-15, 16:56
I have 5.56, 6.8, 300 blackout and 308 ARs
All very nice ones..
Guess which gets used the most for hunting?

Do you have any recommendations for a good 6.8 upper for hunting .

Thanks
RGGreen

ccoker
07-13-15, 17:14
I am partial to WIlson Combat but there are numerous good companies out there making good 6.8s
Bison Armory, AR15 Performance, etc..
I would get a lightweight stainless 16" barrel from any of these guys built up as you like.
I would stay away from bargain brands

RioGrandeGreen
07-13-15, 17:27
Thanks , I got some research to do.

masakari
07-13-15, 20:55
There is pretty much no reason NOT to get the S&W M&P10. Light, handy, accurate, affordable.
Look at that platform, it's your answer.

If I had to choose an alternate, it would be the Armalite Defender AR10 series. But the M&P10 can be found for close to those prices.