PDA

View Full Version : Going to Sedona, AZ, next week, couple of questions

Koshinn
04-14-15, 21:03
I'm travelling via car to Sedona, AZ next week and have a couple questions.

1) Can non-residents concealed carry? Open carry?
2) Any good gun ranges there for non-residents (i.e. not private clubs)? One of my family's friends wants to shoot with me, I'll be bringing the weapons and ammo I guess. I'd imagine a rifle range would be great.
3) Anything I should definitely not miss in Sedona while I'm there, or on the drive to or from Las Vegas? Great restaurants, famous landmarks, awesome things related to firearms and/or freedom?

Thanks AZ people!

C-grunt
04-15-15, 00:49
Sedona is a very beautiful place. Just be warned that it is hippy central. While you are there check out the "Devils Arch". Its a nice hike up to a natural bridge that you can walk across.

Az recently allowed concealed carry without a license. However I dont know if this applies to out of state residents. Also if you dont have a permit you are legally obliged to inform an officer if they ask. Also you cant carry into bars. Open carry is common though like I said earlier.... hippies are EVERYWHERE.

Nothing really on the drive down except the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam. Both are awesome but the Grand Canyon is a bit out of the way. However if you've never been I highly suggest it. Truly an awe inspiring place.

Not sure of ranges in that area. If you make your way south Ben Avery in north Phoenix is a HUGE range comples run by AZ Game and Fish.

Honu
04-15-15, 02:02
we mostly camp up there so dont know the town really ?
as said kinda hippy and touristy but we have walked around a few times and there are some nice little places to eat etc. nothing I can remember though ?

the off roading is whats so amazing and the red rock area is of course amazing views etc...

which I could help ya more but its more a general destination area
no ideas about outside state gun laws ?

OH58D
04-15-15, 10:09
Arizona is an open carry State, and that applies to people from other places. Arizona also has reciprocity for concealed carry with New Mexico and numerous other States. Always be mindful of your proximity to schools and liquor establishments. As has been said above, Sedona is the "cultural" mecca in Arizona, sort of their version of Santa Fe. That place has Hot & Cold Running Hippies; Field Hippies, Mountain Hippies, etc. Another place to consider checking out south of there is Jerome, Arizona. It's a nice drive up the mountain from Cottonwood. It's a former mining Ghost Town also overrun by Hippies, Artists and some weird people. Scenery is nice.

Koshinn
04-15-15, 10:49
Are AZ hippies anti-gun too?

skydivr
04-15-15, 14:12
Last year I flew my Family to AZ to see the Grand Canyon, etc. Transported my handgun (was an interesting experiment in itself) and CCW'd the entire time I was instate.

Honu
04-15-15, 14:28
no idea :) some of the guys on our off road group are anti gun Tucson type hippies ? and knowing them did not think they would be the anti gun type but they are
then again some are very pro gun and have fun shooting etc.....

I might say that it would be mixed ?

Are AZ hippies anti-gun too?

murphman
04-15-15, 14:33
:no:I stayed in Cottonwood this past Thanksgiving and ventured to both Jerome and Sedona. Not too sure on the carry and gun ranges as between visiting family back in Phoenix and doing some touristy things there was no time for shooting. Sedona is absolutely beautiful are at least it was during the fall. Like others have said there are a ton of hippies and tourists and really as far as the shops go, you go in one and pretty much have seen what is in all of them. Unless the wife or another significant other is dragging you to the shops I would stay clear and go do some hiking like some others have suggested. Another good hike that is in the area is Bell Rock. Just be advised that some of these hiking sites are around 6+ mile hikes round trip so don't go in thinking you park then hike 1000 meters and start taking pictures then turn around and leave.

As for restaurants we did go to a Mexican food join that didn't know what queso was. :confused:

Honu
04-15-15, 14:58
hahahaha kina like going to a Hawaiian place and asking for shoyu and they look confused :)

As for restaurants we did go to a Mexican food join that didn't know what queso was. :confused:

Honu
04-15-15, 15:28
OK sick day :( so doing some brainstorming :)

if I were to bring a buddy up we would be more off roading ? so no idea if the pink jeep tours are cheesy or good ? but maybe google that because seeing Sedona off road IMHO is the way to see it
I know going to Maui the boats I worked on would take tourists to see places and yeah they are touristy but I think its a great way to see the islands ? so I kinda wonder if the pink jeep or others jeep tours would be a good way to see Sedona beauty ?
most of the trails are just outside Sedona so its not a long trip to get to them so as said a single small hike could also be a good way to get a vista of sedona and serve the same purpose
I think broken arrow trail would be the same as going to molokini ?
so might be something to google just to get a idea :)

a sub 2 mile hike ? http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coconino/recreation/recarea/?recid=55292&actid=50
maybe that one kinda cool but that site has other hikes and trails
quite a few other view points you can reach by car

another thing true one store is the same as others one place called Tlaquepaque is like this single point of seeing art its a tiny faked village kinda thing
our kids and myself thought the metal sculptures were cool stuff like glass plants and everything inbetween can be seen in a one stop place and might again no idea if your spouse is with ya etc... I think its fine for a walk after lunch and that is about it :) the wife likes it a bit more than me its busy and touristy of course :)
but again might be worth googling as its a one stop see everything artsy and not waste your time walking around sedona :)

seven sacred pools :) funny Maui has one of those and blows this one away
a fun swimming hole but can be really busy !!!!! but google it if ya want to jump in some water maybe

also good call on seeing Jerome by oh58 :) and pretty spot on description

I prefer Prescott area but its not much to see ? a small downtown are that is kinda fun for a short bit then its burnout time :) and the granite dells just outside is a cool thing to see but tiny :) google up and you can say you saw it :) but in person its cool
the outside area is just like any place these days with costo and major box stores but there is some cool scenery and lakes around Prescott ?
again worth a google to see if its worth it or waste of time ;)

Koshinn
04-15-15, 16:49
hahahaha kina like going to a Hawaiian place and asking for shoyu and they look confused :)

That has happened to me :(

markm
04-15-15, 20:22
The skate park in Sedona is outstanding. :)

HardToHandle
04-15-15, 21:33
Transported my handgun (was an interesting experiment in itself) and CCW'd the entire time I was instate.

I have flown to and from Arizona multiple times with a pistol without much drama.
That said, the biggest drama I've had flying with a gun was in San Antonio, Texas. The Delta staff + TSA in SATX were all 8'up.

Like most things in life, be courteous, be patient and be a good witness. Whatever the airline staff behind the counter are getting paid, it isn't enough.

To the OP's comment, I've carried concealed in Arizona on my out of state permits, backed up with print outs from the Arizona state websites.

P2000
04-15-15, 22:28
Like others have mentioned, Sedona is "New Age", as in get your crystals and tie dye. I've never seen a gun range or even a gun store in Sedona, but I'm sure somebody is shooting out in the wilderness. The story goes there are "vortex" areas which supposedly have energy and whatnot that make the trees grow in spirals in these areas. This attracted all of the hippies and artists years ago and the town kept it going with tourists ever since. It is still a neat place. The landscape there is very unique and beautiful.
Pink Jeep tours are a nice way to see this unique landscape. Tlaqupaque is a beautiful outdoor mall in Sedona which also has Oak Creek Brewing company, which has great food and beer. There are mexican places in there as well which looked good.

S/W of Sedona is a place called Cornville / Page Springs. There is a restaurant called Up the Creek Grill and Bar. It looks like nothing special on the outside. Inside it is classy/upscale, excellent food and a killer view of the creek. Wife and I had dinner there and were blown away. There are also some local wineries and I think I saw a goat farm in the area as well if that is your thing.

J&G Sales is in Prescott, which is where I get my AK ammo cheap. Not sure if this fits your route or not. They sell all sorts of C&R stuff, check out their website. Prescott is a neat town, it used to be the capitol of AZ back when AZ was a territory. There is Wild west stuff going on there such as old west "shootouts" in the streets, and you can have a whiskey where Doc Holliday and others used to frequent. There is a meadery in the Prescott town square that is very nice too.

Koshinn
04-16-15, 00:23
Like others have mentioned, Sedona is "New Age", as in get your crystals and tie dye. I've never seen a gun range or even a gun store in Sedona, but I'm sure somebody is shooting out in the wilderness. The story goes there are "vortex" areas which supposedly have energy and whatnot that make the trees grow in spirals in these areas. This attracted all of the hippies and artists years ago and the town kept it going with tourists ever since. It is still a neat place. The landscape there is very unique and beautiful.
Pink Jeep tours are a nice way to see this unique landscape. Tlaqupaque is a beautiful outdoor mall in Sedona which also has Oak Creek Brewing company, which has great food and beer. There are mexican places in there as well which looked good.

S/W of Sedona is a place called Cornville / Page Springs. There is a restaurant called Up the Creek Grill and Bar. It looks like nothing special on the outside. Inside it is classy/upscale, excellent food and a killer view of the creek. Wife and I had dinner there and were blown away. There are also some local wineries and I think I saw a goat farm in the area as well if that is your thing.

J&G Sales is in Prescott, which is where I get my AK ammo cheap. Not sure if this fits your route or not. They sell all sorts of C&R stuff, check out their website. Prescott is a neat town, it used to be the capitol of AZ back when AZ was a territory. There is Wild west stuff going on there such as old west "shootouts" in the streets, and you can have a whiskey where Doc Holliday and others used to frequent. There is a meadery in the Prescott town square that is very nice too.

Sounds great, thanks for the advice!

AKDoug
04-16-15, 00:41
You can non-resident carry without a CCW in Arizona without a permit if you are not prohibited (felon) and over 21. There are a couple limitations as to where you can carry and some other research you should do. I enjoyed my visit to Arizona last year, particularly because I could be armed just like at home without a permit.

Iraqgunz
04-16-15, 05:19
If you read the ARS carrying concealed is valid for any U.S. citizen in the state. As mentioed with no permit there are some restrictions. Its already getting warm so dress appropriately. If you are going to Sedona you need to drive to Jerome.

OH58D
04-16-15, 08:30

Good point about Prescott. J&G Sales is one of my stops as well. If you're a student of Old West History, John Henry "Doc" Holliday did live in Prescott in 1879-1880. He actually roomed with John J. Gosper, acting Territorial Governor of Arizona. Doc Holliday's whore, Big Nose Kate (Mary Katherine Haroney Cummings), died in the Arizona Pioneer's Home in Prescott in 1940 and is buried in the Pioneer Cemetery there. You can actually see her grave.