PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever seen a set up like this?

bradb55
07-12-08, 20:06
http://www.stluciesheriff.com/photos/Various/Various_26.jpg

Check out the setup on what looks like a pistol caliber AR. The 2nd & 3rd guy from the left are carrying a very odd setup. Seems like the fore grip covers the full length of the barrel.

I know you guys have seen a lot around here. Thought I'd post it and see what you guys think.

Brad

bradb55
07-12-08, 21:26
:confused:

07-12-08, 21:38

Check out the setup on what looks like a pistol caliber AR. The 2nd & 3rd guy from the left are carrying a very odd setup. Seems like the fore grip covers the full length of the barrel.

I know you guys have seen a lot around here. Thought I'd post it and see what you guys think.

Brad
Nothing new. DPMS had a AR of theirs a couple of years ago, called the Tuber, with the handguard extending the entire barrel length.

Robb Jensen
07-12-08, 21:43
3rd and 4th are suppressed 9mms.

bradb55
07-12-08, 21:48
I guess I should sit in front of the class. I've never seen this before. I guess the full size fore grip gives them a greater area to hold on to with the short barrels

tinman44
07-12-08, 21:58
this picture looks 80's era

karmapolice
07-12-08, 22:14
AAC mirage, older design, of an integral suppressed upper. Most where 9mm but there where some 556 ones too.

5POINT56
07-12-08, 23:56
If you think that photo's odd......this should drop your jaw.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/5POINT56/arpistols.jpg

And no, this is not a joke...it was taken from the.....Tazewell municipal site.

Clearly this department could benefit from The Chart. My 1st reaction is to laugh out loud, but in all seriousness it's really not funny.

If a budget is slim, I understand...but there is simply no good reason to outfit any tactical team with such nonsense.

Jay Cunningham
07-13-08, 00:07

Clearly this department could benefit from The Chart. My 1st reaction is to laugh out loud, but in all seriousness it's really not funny.

If a budget is slim, I understand...but there is simply no good reason to outfit any tactical team with such nonsense.

At least they have good trigger discipline...

:(

JAYTEAM
07-13-08, 07:37

It looks to me like some small town mayor wanted to claim he added a tactical team for the "taxpayers safety" during an election year so he threw something together on a shoestring budget because he doesn't think they will ever get called out anyway.

Jay

M1A2_Tanker
07-13-08, 08:37
Those suppressed AR's look like an easyway for someone to shoot their own hand/fingers off. :rolleyes:

rob_s
07-13-08, 09:00
Those suppressed AR's look like an easyway for someone to shoot their own hand/fingers off. :rolleyes:

Why? :confused:

M1A2_Tanker
07-13-08, 09:09
Look at the guy 3rd from the left. A stumple, Stuggle, mis-step, or whatever and his hand is only at the most 2 inches from inadvertently slidding off the end hand guard.
Maybe it would/has never happen(ed), who knows but that was my first thought when I looked at the photo.:rolleyes:

rob_s
07-13-08, 09:29
I guess what I don't understand is, what keeps that from happening with any other SBR? Or with this?
http://www.hk-usa.com/images/products/law_enforcement/mp5n/general/mp5n.jpg

RogerinTPA
07-13-08, 10:03
These guys look like "tards" with those things. Everyone one in the chain of command straight to the Mayor must be one. I bet their swat vehicle is a clown car.:p I sure hope they have updated their arms room since that pic was taken....:rolleyes:

Frens
07-13-08, 10:19

Brad

those are Colt SMG 9mm w\ suppressor under the HGs, as already said, in DEA configuration.
I've read they were quieter than MP5SD

M1A2_Tanker
07-13-08, 12:43
With the handguards semingly ''cut off'' and the ''feel'' of the handguard being consistant the length of it. There just isnt any reference points to locate your hand. The other rifles have a sight tower,bayo lug ect. (Like a do not touch here sign) That one could subconsciously use as a referance point. I'm not talking about being at a range and shooting yourself, more or less in an engagement, shooting on the move, low light where your mind isnt really focusing on Proper shooting stance/hold ect. In the heat of the moment it would seem (TO ME) rather easy to not notice your finger close to the muzzle and at the least get burned. I have gotten burned before on a revolver not realizing my finger was near the cylinder gap. I hope I'm not the only one :cool:

I guess an example would be on a pistol, If they were just squared off from grip to the rear of the slide, and didnt protrude past your hand on the rear of the slide, you could potentially injure yourself when firing the weapon by having your hand in the path of the slide. The curves, finger grooves,ect tell you how to hold the weapon.

DUMB Observation, I KNOW! But you forced me to elaborate making it seem an even stupier obervation (Small talk) Please tell me you understand WHAT I was saying...rather than if you agree or not :D No offence intended.

N4LtRecce
07-13-08, 14:15
Are those laser pointers attached to the bottom of the barrels? :confused:

AwaySooner
07-13-08, 14:29
Kudoes to the two guys willing to squat down there with the muzzle pointing at their head.

blkexp98
07-13-08, 14:42
rob_s: I see how that could be a problem on the MP5's atleast. I have one of the clones and SBR'd it. Unless i pay attention i have caught my hand creeping up to the barrel. I have thought about putting on a vertical grip or the surefire forend just to have a hand stop. Im sure its like everything else where training helps with the issue though.

dewatters
07-13-08, 15:12
those are Colt SMG 9mm w\ suppressor under the HGs, as already said, in DEA configuration.

I believe the Colt designated their version the Model 636. KAC supposedly made the suppressor for the Colt.

Azrael2004
07-13-08, 15:15
The 2nd man has the leads' right leg well covered.
The round should travel nicely through his thigh! :mad:

Avenger11
07-14-08, 05:18
Are those laser pointers attached to the bottom of the barrels? :confused:

Yes, the mayor got them 5 for a dollar at Office Depot. ;)

WhoUtink
07-14-08, 05:50
Kudoes to the two guys willing to squat down there with the muzzle pointing at their head.
hah, Thats what I was thinking.

AMMOTECH
07-14-08, 13:35

I've seen better looking teams on an airsoft site. :(

CarlosDJackal
07-14-08, 14:09

Which is not something you can say about their muzzle discipline. I'd hate to be one of the guys in the front row!! :eek:

CarlosDJackal
07-14-08, 14:12

The number 2 man seems to have something attached to the front of his carbine (just below the front sight tower). Anyone know what that is? Or am I just seeing things?

Bimmer
07-14-08, 14:33

Nevermind that the left side and middle guys in the back row seem to be pointing their guns at the heads of the kneeling guys...

Ben

markm
07-14-08, 14:59

I was going to say... Bad 80's swat TV show! :p

MadDog
07-14-08, 20:01
Those suppressed 9mm AR uppers DO have A2 sight towers sticking out of the top of the handguard (you have to look real close). As far as I can tell they are the AAC Mirage which was an old style made years ago.

There are two of them for sale at a local shop I used to spend time at when I lived in GA. Bullseye indoor range and gun shop in Lawrenceville had a couple for sale a year ago. They probably still have them.

MadDog :p

karmapolice
07-14-08, 20:28
Those suppressed 9mm AR uppers DO have A2 sight towers sticking out of the top of the handguard (you have to look real close). As far as I can tell they are the AAC Mirage which was an old style made years ago.

There are two of them for sale at a local shop I used to spend time at when I lived in GA. Bullseye indoor range and gun shop in Lawrenceville had a couple for sale a year ago. They probably still have them.

MadDog :p

they are still there, sitting in the cage.

MadDog
07-14-08, 22:06
I should have picked one up before I left the state when I had a chance. Maybe I will give Randy a call and see if he will transfer one to my local Class III dealer.

MadDog :rolleyes:

dewatters
07-15-08, 11:26
As far as I can tell they are the AAC Mirage which was an old style made years ago.

The Mirage was a visual clone of the Colt/KAC unit. The latter dates back to the late '80s or early '90s.

MadDog
07-15-08, 13:56
I still should have picked up AAC's "clone" when I had the chance but thanks for the history. I wondered where that design came from.

MadDog :D

TRguy
07-15-08, 14:21
The number 2 man seems to have something attached to the front of his carbine (just below the front sight tower). Anyone know what that is? Or am I just seeing things?

Why is 5th man not covering the 6 and why is 4th man not covering the 3 and 4

condition 1
07-15-08, 19:03

Damn !!! those things must get hot, they look like something from the movie, "Escape From New York" I think I would have called in sick the day the picture was taken. :confused:

MadDog
07-15-08, 19:28
Condition 1:
Those are first generation Bushmaster Carbon Pistols that came out "before" the sunset of the AWB when they were not allowed to have handguards (why, I am not sure).

MadDog :confused:

b_saan
07-15-08, 20:45
Condition 1:
Those are first generation Bushmaster Carbon Pistols that came out "before" the sunset of the AWB when they were not allowed to have handguards (why, I am not sure).
The AWB didn't allow manufactures to produce a pistol with more than 1 of the evil features and since they already had a magazine outside of the pistol grip they couldn't have a barrel shroud. The Brady Bunch would tell you that it's so you couldn't grip them with the 2nd hand forward of the main pistol grip, call it the Tec-9 rule...

skyugo
07-15-08, 23:59
The AWB didn't allow manufactures to produce a pistol with more than 1 of the evil features and since they already had a magazine outside of the pistol grip they couldn't have a barrel shroud. The Brady Bunch would tell you that it's so you couldn't grip them with the 2nd hand forward of the main pistol grip, call it the Tec-9 rule...

oh yeah.. cause gripping a pistol ahead of the main grip is such a deadly way to hold a gun. :D

those guys with the pistol things crack me up. probably be better off with their 9mm's.
when man first put a buttstock on a firearm.... that was a big day. :o

MassMark
07-16-08, 08:21
The vests look suspiciously AirSoft like....Leapers anyone? And yes, the first think I noticed was the head shot potential and the laser pointers handing off the bottom....
Must have got their stuff from Jerkwater Tactical Supply...Poor guys... :p

Fringe
07-16-08, 09:08
The vests look suspiciously AirSoft like....Leapers anyone? And yes, the first think I noticed was the head shot potential and the laser pointers handing off the bottom....
Must have got their stuff from Jerkwater Tactical Supply...Poor guys... :p

I was just going to ask, are those cat lasers hanging off the barrel?

goodwi77
07-17-08, 16:53
Most likely the KAC units...:
http://www.autoweapons.com/photosn/photosjul04/771knightsb.jpg

You can buy one at autoweapons.com for only $4,500.
go to suppressors and scroll down to Knight's..

Rock-N-Ruin
07-17-08, 19:41
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/Rock-N-Ruin/mayberrymorons.jpg

:D Oh ya, notice their triple pistol mag pouches seem to be empty?? Tacticool!

miserai
07-17-08, 19:57
wonder if those are the olympic ones with the fixed mags

Oscar 319
07-17-08, 20:18
Someone take the crayons away from R-n-R. He made me milk shoot out my nose and now I'm pissed! :p

PRGGodfather
07-17-08, 21:18
You picked it. Unless those boys are Canadian, the mullet on the #2 man was a giveaway.

Those suppressed Colt 9's were once the flavor of the month for the DEA Clandestine Lab Enforcement Team (CLET). The handguards also allegedly reduced flashpoint issues. At the time, this was some pretty innovative stuff. Yet, like all innovations, they got old.

New and improved! Fortified! Latest and up-to-datest!

Heck, in 23 years, I have seen the cycle come around at least twice. Isoceles vs. Canted Stance. One-handed vs. two-handed. Sold M16's to get MP5's, after the Iranian Embassy assault. Now, we want to sell our MP5's for M4's, and we want cans since loud report was an unintended consequence of upgraded CQB capabilities.

Most of that stuff still works, and remember, just 'cause it's new doesn't make it good -- anymore that being old makes something bad. It ain't about the gear. Hardware won't fix a software problem.

I wish I still had my 1968 Dodge Dart GT.

As to the second photo -- well, God bless 'em for trying. Even Mayberry had a Sheriff (and one hapless Deputy).