View Full Version : Noveske SWS rail ??

stormblue
07-12-08, 20:11
It's my understanding that the SWS rail has the option to pin the rail relative to the upper so the rail won't rotate. Does anyone know if Noveske uses this option?

And while I'm asking how wide is a SWS rail?

Mike

Stickman
07-13-08, 14:05
It might be worth an email or phone call to Noveske Rifleworks on this one.

I've got one of the complete uppers over here, but I don't have a caliper to get you an exact measurement. Where you looking for an ID or OD?

kalikraven
07-13-08, 16:04
I have a Noveske upper and the method of mounting the SWS rail to the SWS barrel nut prevents it from rotating. The rail is held in place by six allen head screws that thread into the barrel nut assembly. No pinning is required.

stormblue
07-13-08, 16:45
It might be worth an email or phone call to Noveske Rifleworks on this one.

I've got one of the complete uppers over here, but I don't have a caliper to get you an exact measurement. Where you looking for an ID or OD?

I was looking for the distance from the top of the 3 o'clock rail to the top of the 9 o'clock rail.

I have a Noveske upper and the method of mounting the SWS rail to the SWS barrel nut prevents it from rotating. The rail is held in place by six allen head screws that thread into the barrel nut assembly. No pinning is required.

Is there any mechanical device that prevents the handguard from rotating the barrel nut?
It's my understanding that the SWS has a whole in the top of the handguard above the gas tube. If you machine a similar whole in the upper you can insert a pin that keeps the handguard from rotating the barrel nut.

MBRMan
07-13-08, 19:09
The barrel nut is torqued on...you ain't gonna rotate it without a wrench. Are you maybe thinking about rotation limits in the sling swivel cups?

MBR

N4LtRecce
07-14-08, 19:02
I have a Recce with an SWS rail. I don't see how the hell you'd rotate that thing unless you were really, really trying to.

kalikraven
07-14-08, 19:19
Does'nt the gas tube also keep the barrel nut from rotating?

It should be torqued on there pretty good but you can't take off the barrel nut without removing the gas tube first, right??

Paladin4415
07-14-08, 20:39
Does'nt the gas tube also keep the barrel nut from rotating?

It should be torqued on there pretty good but you can't take off the barrel nut without removing the gas tube first, right??

Yes that is true.
The rails come with two barrel nuts that have the mounting holes drilled in slightly different places so that you never have to over torque the barrel nut to get the rail to line up. I have one on my AR-10 and it's great.