PDA

View Full Version : Need advice should I trade my springfield trp for a new colt le6920

Justin drake
04-15-15, 20:07
So basically I bought my trp about 3 months ago brand new there's nothing wrong with it at all it is a great gun but lately I've been wanting an ar/m4. I have a 3 year old son and another on the way so all the extra money needs to be saved so I considered trading my trp for a colt, bcm, daniel defense or another quality built ar problem is my local gun store doesn't carry any that I want other than colt which they are offering an even trade for my 1911. I just wanted you guys opinion on what you think I don't want to regret getting rid of my 1911 but I do want an ar a little more should I just save up and buy a ar ? which might take a while seeing how my funds are limited at the moment. Thank you for your opinions.

Kain
04-15-15, 20:39
The fact that they are offering you an even trade is a clue that they are getting the better end of the deal. TRPs are running in the $1300+ range new, used I often see them in the $1100-1200 mark, sometimes more depending on local market, sometimes less depending. Colt AR15, 6920s in particular, about $900 retail, and about the same used. So in short, no I don't think the trade is worthwhile at all. If you are dead set on an AR15, I would do one of two things, save up your pennies, or sell the pistol and then buy the AR15 that you want since you should be able to order a new Colt and do the transfer for about the $950 at which point you are likely going to be ahead of the curve with a little extra cash. So, personally, myself, I wouldn't do it.

JoePike
04-16-15, 06:49
Trading with a gun store is the best way to ensure they make money. Next time you go in there the TRP will be for sale for $1299.

donlapalma
04-16-15, 08:12
Not a fair trade as pointed out by Kain. If the rifle is what you want, I'd sell the TRP to a private party to ensure maximum value. Then buy the Colt for under $1K. Then you'll have some extra money for ammo, sling, light or for the little one on the way.

MoCop
04-16-15, 11:16
In my opinion, you'll probably regret the trade and will definitely lose money going through a gun shop. Be patient, keep your Springfield and save your nickels and dimes for the rifle.

brickboy240
04-16-15, 15:15
Around here, Wal Mart has a bare bones Colt 6920 for 1088 dollars.

You'd probably do better to sell the TRP outright at a gun show THEN go buy the 6920 and you will probably have some money left over for an optic or sling and spare mags.

bjxds
04-16-15, 18:30
If you have a little patience and can afford it, I would keep the TRP and save up for the AR you want later. In either case buying any gun is the cheap part. In the long run you will spend more on ammo than on guns in the long run. AND don't forget before you know it you will buying guns that your kids will be able to shoot.

Justin drake
04-16-15, 20:31
Yeah I'm gonna try to keep my trp and save up and get a colt or bcm. The more I think about it I would probably regret getting rid of my trp. Thanks everybody for their responses

chastain11
04-16-15, 20:32
Keep the TRP. It's yours and has more value. Not to mention it's a 1911 worth keeping and you can't go wrong. Figure out another way to fund the 6920. I bought a 6920 not long ago to put in the safe, you know -just in case, for $850 plus tax. Brand new.

ggammell
04-17-15, 00:37
TRPs aren't the easiest thing to find so if you find yourself remorseful after the trade it might be difficult to find another. 6920s are all over the place.

I would not trade it.

Hammer27
04-17-15, 06:07
I echo all of the above points but just to add one that comes to mind for me....you're better served and more likely to use a handgun to defend your family.

Tzook
04-17-15, 08:43
TRP's are worth more and quite a bit harder to find. You can throw a rock and hit a 6920. Not that they aren't good, because they are. Save your money for the rifle

CAVDOC
04-17-15, 09:05
The trp is certainly worth more than most all ar's. Not a good trade. Now if the shop was willing to trade a colt ar and an aimpoint and a sling and six mags and 500 rounds of ammo that would be more like it.
Another option is to private sale your trp, buy a more basic 1911 and a stripped ar lower then as cash permits build an ar over time part by part. Over a time you can then end up with both!
Something like a basic used colt series 80 or 1991 ( in my area this will run about 600 bucks and be a really solid runner) then buy most of the parts you need for an ar ( assuming you get $1100 or so for the trp)

1911-A1
04-19-15, 00:23
Definitely keep the TRP and build a BCM rifle piece by piece. Midlength guns are so much nicer to shoot than a 6920 anyhow.

Gary1911A1
04-19-15, 06:56
Definitely keep the TRP and build a BCM rifle piece by piece. Midlength guns are so much nicer to shoot than a 6920 anyhow.

I agree.

Justin drake
04-20-15, 19:21
Yeah guys that's what I'm going to do unless I can trade to a bcm, Daniel defense or another quality ar. And you know I went by that gun shop today and I asked to look at the rifle because i didn't really even look at the gun the other day I just assumed he knew I meant a 6920 anyways it wasn't I'm not sure exactly the name but it says ar15 a3 on it and he wanted me to give $100 with my trp so that's completely off I know the trp is worth more than that lol but I guess I'm going to start looking for a lower to begin my first build thank you guys so much for this great forum I've learnt a lot reading on here.

browningv308
04-26-15, 19:57
If you and me lived in the same area I would meet you somewhere and buy that colt you want and take your trp as payment, I would come out with the better end of that deal.

13MPG
04-28-15, 19:37
I would keep the TRP. Its a nice 1911. I made the mistake of letting a CRG go several months ago and it bothered me until I got another one.
I am in the same boat as you. My little girl just turned 1 and my son will be born in September.
I just squirrel away pocket change and dollar bills when I get home everyday and as it builds up I put it towards ammo or what not.

Mr.Anderson
04-29-15, 07:10
I agree.

X3

I was going to recommend building an AR.

It looks like he is set on BCM,DD, etc but one can build a decent AR from PSA for about $600 a piece or two at a time as a budget allows.

I have a lower sitting bare yet and I thought Id have it built by now lol. So, I guess that would be the down side if you throw money at other things or its hard to come by.

But I still say build it.