PDA

View Full Version : neck tension....

texasgunhand
04-16-15, 14:25
Is it possible to get to much neck tension? Just wondering becouse mine are so tight they dont seem to need a crimp to stay in place,i can push down on my table hard and they dont move. I know there not supposed to. So far only doing 9mm and had no problems. Just wondering...
The few .223 ive loaded have also been very well seated.

Slippers
04-16-15, 15:14
Is it possible to get to much neck tension? Just wondering becouse mine are so tight they dont seem to need a crimp to stay in place,i can push down on my table hard and they dont move. I know there not supposed to. So far only doing 9mm and had no problems. Just wondering...
The few .223 ive loaded have also been very well seated.

In my (limited) experience with .223, yes, you can have too much. For my setup, excessive neck tension caused visible bullet runout during seating. The case necks were getting slightly deformed since it required a lot of force to push the bullet in.

texasgunhand
04-16-15, 15:46
I am having no neck problems so far everything appears great.

Onyx Z
04-16-15, 16:11
The short answer is yes, you can have too much neck tension. Are you expanding the necks and belling the case mouth on 9mm?

BTW, a crimp on auto-loader pistol ammo is not to hold the bullet in. It is is only to remove the bell.

markm
04-16-15, 16:38
I go off the feel of the press. For pistol, you should only need the crimp to remove the case mouth belling. Crimp should play no roll in holding the bullet/neck tension.

texasgunhand
04-16-15, 18:17
The short answer is yes, you can have too much neck tension. Are you expanding the necks and belling the case mouth on 9mm?

BTW, a crimp on auto-loader pistol ammo is not to hold the bullet in. It is is only to remove the bell.

Yes, belling just enough for the bullet to stay in for pressing,no more.
Just so it barely fits in case,not getting any shaving of bullet when pressing.
Then just a light crimp to remove belling. Using lee carbide fcd taper for 9mm. Fired 100 rounds flawlessly so far.
On .223 also no neck problems and just a light crimp on the canalure using lee fcd for .223.

All bullets are normaly hornady 55gr fmj with cl. Then 9mm will also be 124 gr hornady but right now iam useing remington 124 gr green bag bullets,their not the greatest but their cheap.

Iam not having any problems other than they seem to be shooting high left,but i think its me i need to stop shooting a glock 19 like 1911 and move my finger further around the trigger and stop pulling it with the pad.

bigedp51
04-16-15, 19:58
Saddam Hussein's cat liked plenty of neck tension.................. :sarcastic:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/image001_zps438c9233.gif

Which leads me to ask when was the last time you measured your balls and johnson? :haha:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/expanderball003_zps25299aad.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/Various3_zpsi85oz4p6.png

On the serious side some people full length resize without the expander ball and then use a Lyman type M die to expand the necks to .221 and use the .226 step for better inline seating and reducing neck runout with jacketed bullets.

Also note both expanders are .221 and going smaller can increase neck tension too much and "cause" neck runout problems.

texasgunhand
04-16-15, 20:21
Brand new lee dies,just wondering if it was possible . looks like neck problems occur when theres to much tension. I will keep an eye out for it. Only on some of my 9mm you can tell theres something becouse you can see on one side were the bullets bulging the case like it went in cockeyed,ive seen factory ammo like this
Ive figured out i wasnt belling enough i think becouse the bullets were not staying on the brass like they should for seating.

I started belling a little more now they stay in there straight and start better. A simple case of noob trial and error. Just beginning and didnt know how much was needed.

bigedp51
04-17-15, 16:52
texasgunhand

On a tapered pistol case some carbide dies will over resize the case and the finished round will look wasp waisted. The fix for this is to raise the die and not over resize the case.

We live in a plus and minus manufacturing world, you could have dies on the small size and a chamber on the large size. You need to adjust any die up or down to get the proper sizing for "YOUR" firearms chamber.

texasgunhand
04-17-15, 19:53
Ok,thanks i will do some experimentation next time i reload some 9mm, it would help if it would stop raining here so i can get some trigger time again.

Iam reloading for two different guns a glock 19 and a Beretta 92. I need to measure the chambers but i bet the glock is larger,it seems to be the ak-47 of pistols.

markm
04-18-15, 08:44
I need to measure the chambers but i bet the glock is larger,it seems to be the ak-47 of pistols.

Why would you need to do that? Set your seater up so that you match Spec or your favorite load. You can use the barrel of each weapon to see that the round drops in trouble free.

texasgunhand
04-18-15, 20:24
Ive been useing the wilson pistol gauge in 9mm. I check once after resizing and then again each loaded round. I never thought you had to adjust the dies for 9mm. I just set it up per the instructions, but i guess you could get a little more life by adjusting like rifle dies.