PDA

View Full Version : Questions on storage

immanuelrx
04-16-15, 16:37
Hello all, I was hoping for some storage advice for my AR 15 receiver set. I will be leaving to Korea and will not be able to finish my build before I leave. My attempts to sell didn't work out so I will have to store it. I have some parts installed in the lower to include the trigger. I will be gone for 2 years at least and want to make sure the parts stay in good condition so I can finish the build when I return. I have a pelican case I will be storing the receiver set and will put a CLP type solution on the trigger assembly and any other places I feel it might need. Is there anything else suggested for my receiver set while I store it long term?

uffdaphil
04-16-15, 17:05
I use Zerust bags for long term storage. Zcorr is another brand to look at. Do NOT try to suck out the air. Bag isimpregnated with chemicals.

http://www.zerustproducts.com/manuals/firearms-protection

7.62NATO
04-16-15, 18:16
Use RIG on all ferrous items.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1180385501/rig-universal-gun-grease

Store in a climate-controlled safe.

ETA: Mil-spec AR parts are very resistant to rust, and if stored reasonably, no rust will appear.

GH41
04-16-15, 18:27
You could probably sell the trigger and safety in 5 minutes on the EE for a fair price. The rest of it will keep fine in a dry place without any special care.

SomeOtherGuy
04-16-15, 19:33
Don't store it in a Pelican case, or any other case that uses foam (which is all that I know of). The foam attracts and holds moisture and promotes rust. There are unlimited stories of people who stored their hunting rifle or shotgun in a foam case and found it bright orange a few months later. AR parts are much more rust resistant than blued carbon steel, but no reason to tempt rust. The Zerust type bags mentioned are fine, but not needed. Store the parts with a light coat of oil (it sounds like they already have this) someplace dry. If you have to use a storage unit or wet basement, put them in a sealed mylar bag with a desiccant, or an ammo can with a desiccant pack. If you have dry storage available, they can just go on a shelf, with any sort of basic dust protection.

ScottsBad
04-16-15, 20:15
Yeah, unless the parts will be in a high humidity environment where the temperature changes radically I wouldn't worry too much. Light oil, in an airtight container with desiccant packs will do it. 2 years is not too long.

For blued rifles I bought the anti-rust plastic in a roll, it's cheap that way. I just roll the rifle in the plastic, seal the ends with tape and put them in their cases with desiccant packs. Same with pistols.

markm
04-16-15, 20:32
There's nothing magic about storing a complete or partial AR.

7.62NATO
04-16-15, 20:33
There's nothing magic about storing a complete or partial AR.
+1 ARs have a hard time rusting in my experience...

Berserkr556
04-16-15, 20:41
Buy some cosmoline or corrosion x for your steel parts. Completely coat each steel part, place parts in a freezer type bag, suck out the air and then store bag in a USGI ammo can or other air/water tight container.