PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Dies

The FNG
04-16-15, 17:11
I just bought a set of 9mm (3 die set) Eagle brand dies. Anybody ever heard of them? The guy wanted $5 for them and I bought some other dies and they were kind of a freebie, so I said what the heck! Just curious what the brand is about, I can't find anything online. Being that there's a massive lack of information, I can only assume they're not the best, but worth the small amount of $$ I spent I hope.

texasgunhand
04-16-15, 20:41
Ive never heard of them but 9mm pretty easy, give them a try and see if they work. For what they cost there worth a try,better check and see if they are carbide if not you will probably have to lube cases.

williejc
04-17-15, 19:12
They were made in El Monte, California, and I remember them to have had an excellent reputation. The company also made a powder measure called the Cobra. The brand was active in 1970, but I forget how many years before and after. RCBS bought out Lachmiller in the early 70s, and later Forster bought Bonanza, which was the original maker of the the famous Coax press. Back then, RCBS was the big dog in reloading with second prize going to Lyman. Saeco had an outstanding reputation for high quality tools but were bought by Redding. Bair disappeared, Hornady bought Pacific, and Dave Davison bought CH, which is now CH4D.

Product quality did not sink these companies. During a decade of rampant inflation and rising material and labor costs, they succumbed to market forces in an industry with a narrow customer base. Lyman has survived but was owned by various other outfits--some of whom had never heard of a die or mold.

GregP220
04-18-15, 18:18
I've stumbled across some really cool reloading equipment from the companies willijc mentioned and I find I have to fight to not start collecting it.

Since I haven't worn out a press yet I can't justify adding more but the temptation is there. :cool:

williejc
04-18-15, 20:00
I've got a shop full of old stuff that I bought and didn't need but wanted anyway. A while back I stumped my foot on a 50-60 year old Lachmiller press that I've had for years and don't remember where it came from. Because I was afraid of stumping my foot on it again, I sent it to Eurodriver who graciously agreed to help me clear my pathway.

The FNG
04-19-15, 22:12
Good to hear! Maybe I got the better end of the deal then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk