PDA

View Full Version : Can you share a scope between an AR, and a 10/22 rifle?

loac
07-13-08, 01:35
I have a Ruger 10/22 rifle now and would like to get a scope. But I am planning on picking up a 5.56 AR pretty soon, and would like to get a scope that I could use on both rifles if possible.

I know it is possible to mount the same scope on two different rifles, but is there any reason that I wouldn't want to use the same scope on a 22LR and a 5.56? Both rifles will mainly be used for target shooting.

PRGGodfather
07-13-08, 01:38
It really depends on the scope -- but in any case, the Point of Impact would differ from one gun to the other, so you would have to re-zero everytime you remounted the scope.

2-BPM
07-13-08, 02:53
go to walmart and buy a $40 BSA reddot for the 10/22. Spend good money on a quality optic for the AR. I use my 10/22 like I use my .22 conversion kit for my 1911. Not quite the same, but still productive. Remember there is a differance between target shooting and training.

Battl3fr0nt
07-13-08, 06:08
I would say get a Nice Tasco reddot they are very good dots for 22 rifle's and as for your AR go with a ACOG,EoTech,Aimpoint or if you want a scope go for the accupoint you cant go wrong with any of them.. The ACOG will be best for Target shooting due to is speed and TA31F 4x or TA33-8 3x power. If you are going to do more bench shooting then anything or even hunting the ACOG is a good optic for it but I would say go for the Accupoint cuz you dont need the speed.. and last but not least you can always go for a EOTech or Aimpoint they will be the fastest for up close stuff, If you will be shooting under 50-75 yard's most of the time then the EoTech/Aimpoint will be a good choice and you can alway's add a flip up/down 3x power or 4x power Magnifier and that will allow you to Zero your Aimpoint to 300 yards and hit it with ease.. But if you are going to be doing alot of Target/match shooting I will say check out the ACOG you will be able to hit 100-600/800/1000 yard's on the mark and most matches are to 300 yard's so I would go with the TA31F it has a Chevron, tip of it is 100yds right under the tip is 200yds and the bottom of it at the red line is 300, then there is a BDC system after that.. It works very good for up close due to the BAC (once you learn to use that right you will be set on all ur target under 50 yards) I would say give them all a try at your local gun shop or range and pick for yourself but you cant go wrong with the ACOG thats for sure..

Failure2Stop
07-13-08, 14:21
The ACOG will be best for Target shooting due to is speed and TA31F 4x or TA33-8 3x power. If you are going to do more bench shooting then anything or even hunting the ACOG is a good optic for it but I would say go for the Accupoint cuz you dont need the speed...

I think that there are numerous optics in the price range of the ACOG line that are far superior for "target" shooting.

While the ACOGs are rugged and provide a lightweight magnifying optic they are not competative long-range optics, the BDC is not sufficiently precise as it does not allow you to specifically zero every distance (nor would it be necessary for the optics intended use). Bench shooters look for a much higher level of precision in their optics.

But to answer the OPs question-
There are optics that work well on ARs, depending on intended use.
There are optics that work well on .22 rifles, depending on use.
Unless you intend on using your AR like a .22 (or vice versa) I would recommend matching the optic to the intent.