PDA

View Full Version : SW99 in 9MM- Thinking of breaking my 'no trade' rule and getting rid of it.

FishTaco
04-18-15, 20:58
Just got back from a range trip where my old Glock 22 reminded me of why I keep it around and ready in the house. Very accurate (for me), repeatable grouping around 3" high at 50 feet, right on center.

Alternately, I was using a nearly as old SW99 that I couldn't seem to get on target. I clearly need a shorter front sight post, as I seemed to be around 8-12 inches low. I have to check the packaging and see if there is one in the original box.

The other option is to get a few hundred off a G17/XDM/M&P. Should I keep trying with this gun? If it continues to suck, is it still worth having around as a backup?

What would you guys do?

Kain
04-18-15, 21:03
What is the proper saying? "Speed is fine, accuracy is final?" If you don't shoot it well I would mark it as a liability more than a tool. If selling or trading it to get into something that you shoot better, I don't consider it a bad thing. If you run a glock well then having a 17 isn't a bad thing, part commonality, .40 cal mags can be used in a 9mm in a pinch, and battery of arms is the same. Might get more out of the SW99 by selling it privately and then buying what you want though.

1911-A1
04-19-15, 09:16
There's nothing wrong with selling or trading a gun you don't like. Otherwise it's just a few hundred bucks sitting in a safe, not benefiting you.

125 mph
04-19-15, 12:21
I see no reason to keep it around if it's not doing anything for you. It's not like it's collectible (no my knowledge anyway, I'm not a collector).

FishTaco
04-19-15, 12:32
Sounds like good advice. I think either the G17/19 or perhaps an XDM would be a solid replacement, plus offer readily available parts. I found some front sight posts in the original packaging, but they all look the same size on an initial check. :confused:

cgjane
04-19-15, 12:48
I'd sell it and grab a g23 with a conversion barrel

BatteryOperated
04-19-15, 14:41
Alternately, I was using a nearly as old SW99 that I couldn't seem to get on target. I clearly need a shorter front sight post, as I seemed to be around 8-12 inches low. I have to check the packaging and see if there is one in the original box.

You must remember that the Glock and the SW99 use different sight pictures. The Glock uses sight picture 2, while the SW99 uses sight picture 3 if you are using stock sights. If you aim the SW99 the same as the Glock you will be shooting low.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab224/SpoilSport/sightimages.jpg (http://s866.photobucket.com/user/SpoilSport/media/sightimages.jpg.html)

ritepath
04-19-15, 15:25
Now is the time for a CZ.

peterthefish
04-19-15, 15:48
Get rid of it. I love the idea of the gun, the trigger system (P99 style), etc... But had one and it was one of very few guns I've ever sold.

GNXII
04-19-15, 17:36
Ya know , I just had this conversation on Friday with a buddy regarding him buying my USP40 I had. The gun was reliable to a "T", had a light LEM factory installed along with new night sights in the expectation that it would become "zee house gun"...thing is I could never shoot it well and or accurately. No doubt it was too much for little girly hands to use, size wise. I tried a 9mm version thinking maybe the .40 was too hot but, nope it just that gun was/is too big for me. Sold it along with some leather, went to range the same day to try out a HK VP9 and presto got a new one as it fits way better and I shoot it good too! Unless you like to collect, sell it and get something that fits you that is both reliable and accurate!

mig1nc
04-19-15, 17:53
Are we talking about an "AS" style trigger or a "QA" style trigger?

FishTaco
04-19-15, 20:31
You must remember that the Glock and the SW99 use different sight pictures. The Glock uses sight picture 2, while the SW99 uses sight picture 3 if you are using stock sights. If you aim the SW99 the same as the Glock you will be shooting low.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/attachments/ppq/1953d1330908065-sw99-sight-ppq-sightimages.jpg

That's very useful information and seems quite applicable. Funny that I've never heard that before. Of course, my last auto was bought 11 years ago and I haven't read much about them since.

FishTaco
04-19-15, 20:36
Ya know , I just had this conversation on Friday with a buddy regarding him buying my USP40 I had. The gun was reliable to a "T", had a light LEM factory installed along with new night sights in the expectation that it would become "zee house gun"...thing is I could never shoot it well and or accurately. No doubt it was too much for little girly hands to use, size wise. I tried a 9mm version thinking maybe the .40 was too hot but, nope it just that gun was/is too big for me. Sold it along with some leather, went to range the same day to try out a HK VP9 and presto got a new one as it fits way better and I shoot it good too! Unless you like to collect, sell it and get something that fits you that is both reliable and accurate!

Want to hear something really weird? I have 4 pistols, all bought over 11 years ago. One of them is a H&K USP 40 compact LEM that I never shoot. I don't think it's nearly as unimpressive as the Smith, but I don't remember loving it in the 1 or 2 times I shot it. Been a while, though.

GNXII
04-19-15, 21:22
Want to hear something really weird? I have 4 pistols, all bought over 11 years ago. One of them is a H&K USP 40 compact LEM that I never shoot. I don't think it's nearly as unimpressive as the Smith, but I don't remember loving it in the 1 or 2 times I shot it. Been a while, though.

I have a buddy who will buy and collect any gun, longer or handgun, period, providing the price is okay to him.His price rationalization is beyond me. He's got some really odd stuff and will collect a whole series of guns , i.e. every S&W revolver he can lay his mitts on, High Standard 22 semi autos, etc! Me, if I can't shoot it well and its not accurate & reliable, its outta here.I'll repair things if necessary and upgrade where necessary also but I don't want spend to much time tweaking handguns. Life too short to be unhappy with your guns!

BatteryOperated
04-20-15, 03:44
That is, unless you just want a new pistol. ;)

04-20-15, 07:03
If a gun is unreliable or inaccurate out the door it goes, I've had several. If I just lose interest or just want to shoot something else? I'll hold onto it.

ShipWreck
04-20-15, 10:18
I had a SW99 years ago. The gun comes with the #4 sight on the gun. I had to change to the #3 to get it to shoot where i wanted it to. I have owned many P99 Walthers, though. The SW99 is a clone of the gun. I was familiar with how to aim it - but still had to change the sight for whatever reason.

The gun should have come with a few extra front sights of different heights. Do you not have them in a small plastic bag in the gun case?

FishTaco
04-20-15, 16:40
I do. I thought they were all the same on initial glance, but I bet they will help. I'd like to use sight picture 2.

arcticlightfighter
04-20-15, 18:27
The SW99 in 9mm is OK. The .40 was not a very durable firearm. Was issued it for a while in .40 and the sear housing would fail repeatedly. we eventually went to G22's...much better

FishTaco
04-21-15, 22:26
Yeah, I can see that. The factory sights on the G22 are quite a bit better. I felt very much in control of it and was easily able to achieve solid groups shooting it right after the SW99 with the same brand ammo.

At least the SW99 seems quite reliable. I'll report back after I swap front sights if that helps.

ShipWreck
04-22-15, 08:45
I do. I thought they were all the same on initial glance, but I bet they will help. I'd like to use sight picture 2.

I don't know if any of them will allow you to use sight picture two. But try the #3 one - you should be dead on with sight picture 3 after that.

I kinda miss the one I had - even hard chromed the slide.

Talon167
04-22-15, 09:03
If you don't like it, get rid of it. Selling a gun is not as traumatic as the internet would make one believe.

HCM
04-23-15, 22:23
Get rid of it. There is a reason Walther still makes P-99's but S&W dropped the SW99 like a rock. Good design but poor execution by S&W. The really sad part is Canik in Turkey makes a better Walther P-99 clone than Smith could.