PDA

View Full Version : Good .308 Defense Load

Iraqgunz
07-13-08, 14:00
What is the general consensus on a good .308 round for self-defense/ SHTF? I would like something that is not overly expensive, accurate and reliable?

Buck
07-13-08, 19:20
I have had very good results with GI spec 7.62 NATO ball... It works well on most targets, it is relatively cheap, and has acceptable accuracy out of a semi auto rifle...

Just my .02

B

Iraqgunz
07-14-08, 03:59
Buck,

I have quite a bit of that already so I guess unless there is something else more "special" I will continue to use that. Thanks.

I have had very good results with GI spec 7.62 NATO ball... It works well on most targets, it is relatively cheap, and has acceptable accuracy out of a semi auto rifle...

Just my .02

B

ST911
07-14-08, 06:52
What is the general consensus on a good .308 round for self-defense/ SHTF? I would like something that is not overly expensive, accurate and reliable?

I'm partial to the Hornady 110gr and 150gr TAP loads, and the (relative) equivalents in hunting munitions.

The Black Hills 168gr limited penetrator is exceptional as well.

Lots of good options, most commercially available.

buckshot1220
07-14-08, 09:36
Mil Surplus usually works well as far as power and consistency, accuracy out of semi's and bolt's, though you'll win no matches, is acceptable. I think having a good amount of FMJ's on hand wouldn't be bad considering shooting through objects might be necessary and JHP's might not cut it.

TOrrock
07-14-08, 10:04
I don't think you'll find anything exceptional that's around the same price as decent milsurp, but the 150 gr. Ballistic Tip would be an excellent soft target round.

sjc3081
07-14-08, 10:17
Remington 150 PSP Core Lock and any load that uses Sierra 165 Game King. Both these rounds fragment and create huge exit wounds on solid torso hits.

LDM
07-14-08, 13:38
I really like the Hornady 150 gr SST bullet. It has the interlock ring construction; I think short of a bonded bullet, this holds together better than most others. Yet it still expands well. Accuracy has been very good. I load it to about 2800 fps, but Hornady also sells a .308 cartridge with this bullet. So I handload for practice, and have commercial for defence.

What I really wish I had was the Hornady SST bullet in a 125-135 gr. weight. I could get better velocity, flatter shooting, and just a bit less recoil for quicker follow-up.

SHIVAN
07-14-08, 15:26
I believe that the one that DocGKR has shown has very excellent ballistic performance is Hornady 155gr TAP.

In game animals, which have thinner skin, and no denim, cotton, or other fibers to "protect" them, I have used:

Hornady 150gr SST's
Winchester Partition Gold 150gr
Winchester 168gr Silver Tips
Winchester 150gr Silver Tips
Hornady 155gr TAP

All of them were pretty good rounds in that scenario. Humans are similar, though a little more hearty.

LDM
07-15-08, 08:23
BTW, another interesting possibility is the Barnes 130 gr. Triple Shock or Tipped Triple Shock bullet. Cor-Bon loads this bullet in a .308 cartridge.

Cor-Bon sent me some photos of gelatin tests at 2800 fps velocity that showed good results in the first 12" (looked similar to the 155gr TAP) and good penetration (15"). This would likely have a very mild recoil and allow a fast follow-up. Should have decent intermediate barrier penetration. DocGKR said on another forum this bullet/round might be up for testing at some time; be really interesting to see his findings & hear his thoughts.

The bad news is that both the Barnes bullet and Cor-Bon load are expensive. The Cor-Bon load is about $2 per round! :rolleyes:

I find this bullet very interesting, but have not had the time or money to really try it. As I said above, I like the 150 gr Hornady SST. It is half the price, and yet has very good performance as well.

Stay safe.