PDA

View Full Version : Salient Glock G17 Tier 1 Review

lifebreath
04-20-15, 11:23
Let the flames commence!

I shoot Glocks primarily, although recently, I am being wooed to H&K for stock guns and have an SVI 2011 on the way for competition. I hated Glocks initially, but resolved to stick to them and learn how to shoot well with stock Glocks. Thousands of rounds later, I'm halfway there! lol. My EDC gun is most often either a stock Gen 4 G19 or an H&K P2000. Today, I'm carrying a G26 in my dress pants front pocket. (Using a Mika pocket holster. If you pocket carry, you owe yourself to try one of his inexpensive but extremely well-functioning pocket holsters.) I have a G26, G19, G17 and G34. The 34 is modified for 3-gun - Ghost trigger, Dawson magwell, tungsten guiderod and some spring changes. I still believe that a stock G19 with a 25 cent trigger job is about the perfect carry gun.

On a whim, anticipating the heaping upon myself of much derision from my shooting buds, I purchased a Salient G17 Tier 1 that was in stock and ready to ship. $2699? Yes, I'll bring up price first, because I think that's really the most pressing question and the sticking point for most critics. $2699 for a Glock. Just took a quick look at Buds, and a stock G17 is going for just a touch over $500. Let's be generous and say $550. So what does one get for another $2150?

Honestly? Not enough. But if Salient can sell them in a free market, then there's market demand, so it's not overpriced. It's a luxury item, just like watches that cost more than a house. Broad strokes, then some details.

1. It looks very cool. Yes, I think that is a large part of what you get.

2. It feels really good in the hand.

3. Fit and finish are top notch.

4. Stippling is perfection.

5. Flat trigger feels good.

6. Lightening of slide and associated tuning of internals does create slightly faster, flatter shooting gun.

7. Nice sights.

8. Looks cool.

If I were to put a "reasonable" price tag on it, I think $1500 - $1800 would nail it. At $1500, the margin would be fairly slim, so I don't think the end result would be quite as well done. I think a good argument could be made for $1800 for a fine product. Do I regret the purchase? No. It's a unique gun, and that's really what I bought.

I shot it side by side with my standard Gen 3 G17 this weekend. Snappy 124 grain Winchester Ranger LE ammo. I was a little quicker with the Salient (no timer) and back on target easier. I attribute this to the slide lightening, fiber-optic sight and stippling. I could get 80% of the improvement by stippling my other G17 and adding a fiber optic sight.

The trigger on my old G17 is better, with almost no over-travel. I later remembered, as I studied the guns at home, that I had put a glocktriggers.com Edge kit into the gun a couple years ago. Duh. Main difference is over-travel, which can be easily adjusted by either buying a Zev ejector housing with the little set-screw adjuster or drilling a small hole in the existing housing and inserting a screw. The Salient trigger is crisper, and I think once I modify the overtravel, the Salient trigger will be superior. (Yes, I need to further modify my stupidly expensive modified Glock.)

Lockup on the barrel is tighter on the Salient, but it's not their match-fitted barrel, so that could just be the luck of the draw regarding tolerances. Fitted match barrel will run another $300+ I believe. They didn't have one in stock and I didn't really care that much.

Polishing of all the internals is well-done, and Salient replaces springs, plunger and lightens the striker by hollowing it out.

The work on the slide is very well-done and is a vast improvement for manipulation. Front serrations are nice for press-checks.

Put about 250 rounds down the pipe with no malfs.

I think that's about it. I don't believe I left anything out of importance. I'm happy with my purchase. YMMV.

BufordTJustice
04-20-15, 12:25
Thank you for the honest review. Can you post some pix of the internals?

WickedWillis
04-20-15, 12:52
Thank you for your review. It pretty much justifies my feelings about it.

MountainRaven
04-20-15, 13:14
I, too, own a Salient (my second, actually) and I agree with every point you've made. Including, "Is it worth six times what a box stock G17 is? No. Do I regret buying it? No."

plouffedaddy
04-21-15, 13:35
Great review.

lifebreath
04-21-15, 15:16
Thank you for the honest review. Can you post some pix of the internals?

Sorry - don't really want to break it down. You can find some good pictures with google.

After fondling the gun more through the week, my happy feeling is growing. I'm itching to shoot it some more, but in the meantime, it's just a dang cool, good feeling, nice looking gun! And the more I dry fire, the more I like the feel of the trigger. I still intend to add a Zev extractor housing to eliminate overtravel because doing so always improves accuracy by reducing movement of the gun after the trigger breaks.

GAST
04-21-15, 17:13
Congrats. If you're happy with it, then that's all that matters. It does look nice, and thanks for the candid review.

elephantrider
04-21-15, 18:09
OP, thanks for the honest review. Although I an not a fan (possibly even a detractor?) of SAI, I find myself fascinated with their Glock work. Would you be willing to post more details in the name of science and satisfying curiosity?
I would be nice to see any modifications or changes they make to the key internal parts. Striker, safety plunger, trigger bar, connector, etc. Also it would be nice to see if they are using factory weight springs, or lightened units for the recoil spring, striker, and trigger bar. I assume since you say they lighten the striker that they are also using a lightened striker spring, and lightened trigger spring?

I've also read reports of POI issues, due to poor slide/barrel lock-up and resultant early unlocking of the barrel. Can you check the barrel to slide lock-up with a feeler gauge? It would be interesting to see if this is a common issue, or just one that crops up just the same as off the shelf Glocks.

Not trying to rain on you parade, or anything, just genuinely curious, b/c if it works it works, and if you are digging this pistol then great.

Trajan
04-21-15, 21:54
What I can't believe is for $2000+ they don't all come with a fitted barrel. It's almost like some internet joke that someone put up but somehow it took off.

They are absolutely beautiful though.

I'm also interested to see how you'll do switching between a P2000 to an SVI (sight tracker?). Interesting variety of pistols....

lifebreath
04-22-15, 10:19
What I can't believe is for $2000+ they don't all come with a fitted barrel. It's almost like some internet joke that someone put up but somehow it took off.

They are absolutely beautiful though.

I'm also interested to see how you'll do switching between a P2000 to an SVI (sight tracker?). Interesting variety of pistols....

I agree on the barrel. On the other hand, some might prefer the coated Glock OEM barrel for a carry gun to be potentially less finicky about ammo.

Regarding switching between guns, I keep all my carry/defense options conceptually similar in that I do not want to manipulate a thumb safety on the draw and I want a trigger with some pre-travel, some stacking and a firm press required. The Glock is striker fired, P2000 and USP .45 are DA/SA and I carry a snubby .38 sometimes. I practice with all of them and shoot a lot, so I don't find difficulty transitioning. My current match G34 is pretty light on the trigger as is my match rifle, so I try to be cognizant of that when I haven't shot them in a while. Being in a match situation or practicing, the worst impact it has ever had on me is discharging a first shot a fraction of a second before my sight picture is right. No sight tracker. Just gotta remember to make the pistol safe for the dump bucket or re-holstering, which is not much different than decocking the P2000 or my USP .45 when re-holstering.

Benito
04-23-15, 13:55
Thanks for the review. It certainly looks awesome, although I have never been a fan of ported slides.
It's still a sweet gun though.

TSD422
04-25-15, 04:47
Awesome review. Thanks for the insight.

Maiden3.16
04-25-15, 09:25
Nice review and definitely a badass looking gun. You know a Salient Glock when you see one. The price is no doubt a deal breaker for many. I wonder if they will lower the prices at some point with other companies now offering comparable services at lower prices.

MountainRaven
04-25-15, 16:08
Nice review and definitely a badass looking gun. You know a Salient Glock when you see one. The price is no doubt a deal breaker for many. I wonder if they will lower the prices at some point with other companies now offering comparable services at lower prices.

My sample size is low, but between the two Salients that I have owned and the ZEVs sold at an LGS... I'd take the Salients any day of the week. Not saying that I believe the ZEVs are bad guns per se, but they just don't feel as good in the hand and don't appear to have been modded with the same attention to detail: Stippling is rougher (and less consistent), the undercut at the trigger guard is not deep enough to prevent irritation of the firing hand's middle finger (unless you have incredibly skinny fingers - and I have pretty skinny fingers and they are not deep enough for me), dust covers aren't straightened, pins are factory plastic, guide rods are factory plastic, no grip plug, &c. And I hate the oversized, overextended magazine release that ZEV puts on every Glock I've ever seen from them, whether the pistol is intended to be a fully-featured G34/35 or G17/22 race gun or a G19/23 concealed carry gun.

ZEV Glocks are, IMHO, to Salient Glocks what Colt 1911s are to Wilsons or Nighthawks: Nicer than the $500 guns, but rough around the edges with curious omissions, and just not built to the same standard.