PDA

View Full Version : monopodding a 25 round lr pmag

trinydex
04-20-15, 13:49
is this a worthy shooting position to practice?

I spent a few rounds during break in doing this and the rounds were a bit wild on paper. I could just be doing it wrong.

the subsequent groups off a bag and with a sock using low to the ground 10 round lr pmags, were sub moa.

so my questions are, do people practice this improvised shooting position? is it worth the buck fifty per round to practice? what kind of groups can i expect from monopodding? are the groups definitely going to be worse than proned out on a bag with a sock?

henschman
04-20-15, 14:41
That technique works just as well with the 25 round LR Pmag on a .308 AR as it does with a standard 30 rounder on an AR-15. I use it any time the terrain lets me get that low and still see the target. If a higher prone is needed, I try to use sling-supported prone. Monopodding is, to me, slightly more stable though. However, none of it will be as stable as a bipod, solid rest, or bags. Those will always be preferred when they are available. However, they are not always -- in fact an opportunity to use them in the field is rare, and I usually don't even have a bipod on my rifle -- so monopodding (and sling supported positions) are definitely worth practicing.

What kind of groups you can expect from monopodding depends on so many other things it's hard to say. But I'd say if you shoot sub-MOA off bags, you should be able to hold 1-1.5 MOA monopodded, with some practice. I shoot 2 MOA pretty regularly with that technique, but that is with surplus ball ammo, and is about the best you can expect from it with any position, IME.

Failure2Stop
04-21-15, 09:52
In my experience it isn't as precise as bipod/rear bag, but better than just holding it with hands. For me, it's a position of necessity, not preference.

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba

trinydex
04-21-15, 10:00
thanks for the responses.

I think I was doing it wrong, I am thinking back and in my haste and complacency i neglected to find soft dirt to plant the mag in. I was shooting off hard on hard surface, lag was on concrete.

thinking back i have had good success with mag in soft support base. I shot good groups out of the same optic when it was mounted on an ar15 and I was forced to monopod.

I am upset I didn't check myself on the support base, I've become too used to shooting unmagnified optic monopodding on concrete on a large target.

henschman
04-26-15, 14:39
Monopodding works fine on concrete too. Being picky about the surface kind of defeats the point of monopodding IMO... it is a field-expedient way of getting as stable as possible when there is no solid rest available. If you have to use it in the field, you won't have much control over what kind of surface there is to rest it on.

NongShim
04-27-15, 20:47
Using a mag as a monopod is a helpful addition/component to your position as dictated by the situation you find yourself in. You can further enhance your position by using an adjustable sling to make your contact between self/rifle/ground more rigid. Also, if your anatomy will allow you may find that bringing your support arm in close to center line will allow you to place your forearm against the mag from the side. For some this is helpful in being more stable.

As with all shooting, especially positional applications, many different tools/techniques are used contributing the whole solution.

trinydex
05-01-15, 03:06
sounds like monopodding is worth the rounds to practice. I will dry fire it a lot more first. now that I know the gun is all broken in and there's no issues I can see what the real results will be when I monopod.

NongShim
05-01-15, 19:27
sounds like monopodding is worth the rounds to practice. I will dry fire it a lot more first. now that I know the gun is all broken in and there's no issues I can see what the real results will be when I monopod.

Dryfiring is great and should be encouraged. The dimensions and weight of the 308 gun alone make it a good departure from just your 556 guns. Dry fire lots. To figure the mechanics and limitations out. Do live fire to find out how durable your position is against recoil.

AssGasOrBrass
05-27-15, 18:02
I have a monopod that I like to use when shooting from the bench with 30 round mags. From the prone I prefer sandbags. Honestly I dont think one method is better than the other, its preference and practice.