PDA

View Full Version : Concealed carry with weapon light

Jpoe88
04-20-15, 18:52
I hope this is going in the right place, but who daily carries with a weapon light concealed? Why or why not? I'm aware there's reasons for separate uses or a flashlight and a firearm, but I'm interested to see who carries with a mounted light

El Cid
04-20-15, 20:16
Since 2008 or so, on and off duty (plain clothes on duty so its almost always concealed).

Started with a G22 and X300, then a G21/x300. Recently switched to a G19 with an APL. I mostly use OWB (Raven and JM), but also have a JM IWB for use with the APL and any 9/40 Glock that will mount a light.

ETA: Once I learned how helpful the light is during ops where I used a duty holster I decided I didn't want to lose that benefit. I still carry a hand held light on my support side.

Jpoe88
04-20-15, 20:35
This is where I'm still unclear. Using a hand held has the benefit of not using deadly force to just use the light function, which I have a atreamlight Protac 2aa (work issues) that's in my pocket and we can't carry firearms in the plant. Using the weapon mounted leaves potentially one hand available for anything else?

Does it still carry comfortably?

nate89
04-20-15, 20:42
I carry a 226 with a 300U, and a handheld light in my back pocket. I think it's a good thing to always have a way to ID what you are planning on shooting, and having a light on the gun means it's always available. I also don't advocate using that light as a searchlight, so the handheld still has a place.

El Cid
04-20-15, 20:43
This is where I'm still unclear. Using a hand held has the benefit of not using deadly force to just use the light function, which I have a atreamlight Protac 2aa (work issues) that's in my pocket and we can't carry firearms in the plant. Using the weapon mounted leaves potentially one hand available for anything else?

Does it still carry comfortably?

Have you tried the various techniques for shooting while using a hand held light? They all suck in some manner. Nothing beats having a solid two-hand grip on the pistol while shooting. In addition to one hand use, using barricades/cover is easier and more steady.

The weapon mounted light also has the benefit of serving as a counter weight for muzzle rise. Could I survive without one? Sure. But I wouldn't want to. Other than the weight/bulk I see no downsides. And I live in one of the hottest regions of the country. Most days it's just an untucked polo or button down shirt hiding the weapon.

Jpoe88
04-20-15, 20:51
Lol you live in Birmingham Al too? You said hottest, not most humid! I guess a good holster does compliment the light/gun combo. Maybe I should play with both, I've got a Nebo I have loafing in a drawer from a trade, so I can always test it out. If you're carrying full size then the overall size is already there.

This past deer season, I was tracking a big boy that I shot with a .308, and it was dark and I was in a cane thicket with my rifle rested across the wrist using a handheld when he popped up and tried to run.

og556
04-20-15, 21:03
A good holster and belt will make a huge difference. I carry a Glock 17 IWB with X300 Ultra in a Raven Concealment IWB holster. I added the offset wings and they distribute the weight very well.

With that said it is a big gun and a big holster. You have to adjust it properly to fit your body.

El Cid
04-20-15, 21:05
Lol you live in Birmingham Al too? You said hottest, not most humid! I guess a good holster does compliment the light/gun combo. Maybe I should play with both, I've got a Nebo I have loafing in a drawer from a trade, so I can always test it out. If you're carrying full size then the overall size is already there.

Ha! I'd say south Florida has both categories on lock for most of the year. I'm sure the SW US competes with us and wins sometimes but we are very close to the equator and it's the first place I've lived where I felt it necessary to tint the entire windshield.

I agree with you - people can usually conceal more gun than they think and a light isn't that much extra. Especially with an IWB holster as it's completely hidden from view. You do need to pay attention to the length of the light with OWB though as on many pistols it sticks out beyond the muzzle. This is the primary reason I wish Surefire still produced the X300. The X300U is noticeably longer and makes it harder to hide. I switched to the APL in part because it's shorter and thinner (one battery).

There are some even shorter options out there.
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/photo_zpsec4d5cae.jpg

Jpoe88
04-20-15, 21:13
What model is that? Nice looking glock! I'm 5'11, 215, so I'm not concerned with concealing a full size. I've gt an xd9 service that is my first pistol and carry gun (save the flames please sir!) and the uncle mikes iwb sucks, only used it for two days and it's just not what I'm looking for. I do like how the bravo concealment acer d2g looks. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Og, I'm gonna look into raven concealment and see if there are any offerings for me.

So far several people mention surefire x300. Anything bad about the streamlight tlr-3?

jck397
04-20-15, 21:23
I currently do not, due the the added bulk, but that will change about .5 seconds after the Surefire XC1 hits the market. In addition to the above-listed reasons, I like having the ability to cover a threat, keep a light on it, and still have a hand free to guide family or call 911. If I can have the ability to do while adding no length and minimal bulk like I will with the new Surefire, it's a no-brainer in my opinion.

El Cid
04-20-15, 21:29
What model is that? Nice looking glock! I'm 5'11, 215, so I'm not concerned with concealing a full size. I've gt an xd9 service that is my first pistol and carry gun (save the flames please sir!) and the uncle mikes iwb sucks, only used it for two days and it's just not what I'm looking for. I do like how the bravo concealment acer d2g looks. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Og, I'm gonna look into raven co calmest and see if there are any offerings for me.

So far several people mention surefire x300. Anything bad about the streamlight tlr-3?

Thanks. It's a Crimson Trace CMR 202. Zorn makes holsters for it.
http://www.amazon.com/Crimson-Trace-CMR-202-CTAN-Universal/dp/B008MFBDBK

This pic shows the difference in OAL between the X300U and APL. Both guns ar G19's. The holster on the right is a JM Custom IWB and the left is a Raven.
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0265_1_zps58525a30.jpg

I haven't used the Streamlights but have seen some of the guys at work have issues with them. I never cared for the switching on them. The FBI folks at Quantico recently tested all the major pistol lights on each size/caliber of Glock they issue or allow. Only the APL had no malfunctions (or one with the G23 depending on who I talk to).

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-20-15, 21:35
Frankly, a weapons mounted light should be integrated into every gun (and a laser). People spend a lot of time worrying about caliber and capacity when they should be looking for any advantage they can get in terms of getting the bullet on target.

Right now the Crimson trace light guard pro is a nice light laser combo but I HATE the mount. It will hold zero tolerably but nothing like an x400 or Steiner Dbal-PL. I have considered getting an FNS Compact and putting the laser guard on it but I can't imagine the wait for a holster.

Jpoe88
04-20-15, 21:46
The x300 and 400 are a little out of my price range. For now. The inforce apl is pretty sweet for the money

U4JF
04-21-15, 00:02
If I am carrying my M&P it is carried with the light. My TLR-1 has performed well. It is about 3 years old. I carry it in a Raven Concealment IWB holster. Works well for me.

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/jfernett/20140716_154550_zpsaf7c0a29.jpg (http://s1097.photobucket.com/user/jfernett/media/20140716_154550_zpsaf7c0a29.jpg.html)

TCB
04-21-15, 02:00
I carry a P2000 with a X300U in a X-Fer IWB any time I leave the house wearing a belt (with basketball shorts I use a Bellyband w/o the light). It isn't as comfortable as the crossbreed I used without the light but it's not bad. I'll second what Greg said, guns should ideally have lights on them at all times. Sometimes due to dress/environmental conditions it's not possible but everything we do CCW is a compromise.

Once Surefire gets the technology to produce a super small 500 lumen pistol light we'll all be better off...

Hmac
04-21-15, 02:19
On occasion (rarely) I carry my PPS with a TLR-2 attached in an RCS holster. I'm pretty much OWB only, so light or no-light really makes little difference in terms of clothing etc. My non-light holster is a leather speed scabbard, which I find more comfortable, so it remains my preference.

RCS makes a great light-compatible holster though if carrying with a light is your preference.

RHINOWSO
04-21-15, 07:45
PPS or P2000SK (9MM) with Viridian C5L. The HK in a RCS Phantom and the PPS in a Detroit Holsters 8-mile IWB.

The slight additional bulk is negligible with the 8-mile IWB holster & PPS... the RCS Phantom however, when used IWB with the HK, is kind of a pain since it is considerably bigger (the holster) than my Garrett Industries Silent Thunder for it.

jondoe297
04-21-15, 08:09
I'm carrying either a 1911 or Glock 17, both with a TLR-1HL mounted. I use a Raven Concealment holster. Works for me.

crbshooter
04-21-15, 08:36
I'm carrying an M&P 40c with a TLR-3 for off duty. I carry it in a Kaluban Cloak OWB/IWB holster. Very comfortable set up. My department issued weapon doesn't have the ability to mount a light. It sucks searching houses for subjects with a hand held light, especially when you need a hand free to do something like open a closet door.

I still carry a hand held Surefire off duty for the times I don't need to use the WML.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

RHINOWSO
04-21-15, 08:52
I tried a different holster but it didn't work out well - however the Detroit Holsters 8-mile for the PPS 9MM / C5L works well so far. The sweat guard did have an annoying ridge that rubbed my side a bit, however I smoothed it out with a heat gun and it's pretty close to perfect right now (albeit only 2 days with the holster).

I really can't tell the difference with this holster and the non-WML holster, size wise. The holster includes ECR capability as well.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx113/rhinowso/Walther%20PPS/0E631C2F-90B0-438B-B8FB-18F3ECDCCB44.jpg (http://s747.photobucket.com/user/rhinowso/media/Walther%20PPS/0E631C2F-90B0-438B-B8FB-18F3ECDCCB44.jpg.html)

CFF9314
04-21-15, 09:57
I carry a P30L with a Surfire X300u IWB in a JM custom IWB version 2. It conceals pretty well especially considering it's a full size gun with a giant light on it. Mine pulls double duty as a carry/ nightstand gun. If I started over I think I would go with a smaller light. The 500 lumens is nice but unnecessary for a pistol and the X300u is huge. It adds almost an inch to my gun which has a 4.5 inch barrel and is very wide. The bezel of the light is the hardest part to conceal and pretty much always prints to some degree or another. I am considering trying a switch to AIWB but the length of the gun may make that very uncomfortable in not sure. For concealed carry something like the APL or Surefire's new compact light would be much better. As far as why is concerned my reasons are the same as others have said. Target ID is key and a WML makes it much easier to shoot with light. I agree with other people here that any defensive/fighting gun should have a light. It also has the benefit of moderating recoil a little.

Skyviking
04-22-15, 00:08
I am a big proponent of having a weapon-mounted light on uniform duty sidearms and on all long guns. For plainclothes or concealed carry handguns, I would worry more about concealment and/or being "made" than having a WML. Statistics (be damned) show that lighting is not a factor in most defensive handgun gunfights. The opposing parties had enough light to identify each other when the festivities commenced, and ranges were close. Better to have a Surefire flashlight in the support hand to search ahead and identify/avoid potential trouble, than having to draw and light it up after the assailant has made his move. YMMV. For the record, I am not a fan of open carry in an urban environment, either.

Wake27
04-22-15, 02:19
When I lived in a free state, I usually carried an M&P9 w/ X300 OWB in an RCS holster. If my clothing didn't allow for that to remain mostly concealed, than I switched to a JM IWB. Every fighting gun of mine has a light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChaseN
04-22-15, 02:35
Has anybody heard anything about the Surefire XC1? Google brings up absolutely no information published since shot show. I'm afraid the light is going to go the way of the X300 mini.

RHINOWSO
04-22-15, 16:31
Has anybody heard anything about the Surefire XC1? Google brings up absolutely no information published since shot show. I'm afraid the light is going to go the way of the X300 mini.
It's SF, they like putting stuff out and then delivering it sometime between next month and never. ;)

FlyingHunter
04-22-15, 19:35
It's SF, they like putting stuff out and then delivering it sometime between next month and never. ;)

So true...

I saw the XC1 at the NRA show. the salesman said they were working an updated version (which I found humorous since it hasn't been released yet) that would have controls more closely assimilated to the X300 WML. I liked the size and design features XC1 as mounted on the blue guns they had on display.

RHINOWSO
04-23-15, 11:30
Some people don't like Viridian, but they have a whole line of concealable weapon mounted lights and lasers, in addition to the C5L and X5L. I haven't had any issues with my two (one each C5L / X5L). If the light / laser acts up, it's sign to change the battery.

With my C5L on my PPS or HK P2000SK, I just change the battery monthly, then reuse the batteries in flashlights until they are dead.

DesertRat66
04-23-15, 12:42
I use a Viridian C5L on my Glock 19 in a Nelson Holsters Dakota Defender. The holster has the ECR feature so the light/laser activates to whatever setting I want when I draw it. The holster has a neoprene backing which makes it very comfortable to carry. I almost forget it was there some times.

TurboLag
04-23-15, 17:14
I run a G17 RTF2 with gills and a x300 ultra appendix with a armordillo concealment xfer. It's a great holster.

KalashniKEV
04-23-15, 17:27
Frankly, a weapons mounted light should be integrated into every gun (and a laser).

I agree completely.

I'm surprised every-single-year that no one comes out with a simple, not so high powered LED light integrated into the frame, with a well placed switch (be it toggle or tape).

It wouldn't need to be much more than an iNova keychain light (hopefully it would be a bit more) and just to help illuminate an area- not blind attackers or spotlight the fenceline.

global
05-01-15, 20:38
The inforce APL is a great option. Carry a small light separately for when you need it. Better to have 2 hands on your handgun with your gun if you ever need it.