PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MOE

Stickman
07-13-08, 16:50
The Magpul MOE series has garnered quite a bit of attention from lots of different types of shooters and manufacturers. The Magpul Original Equipment Pistol Grips have now been brought into production, and are going to be available in all the standard Magpul colors.

For those who are unaware, MOE standards for Magpul Original Equipment.

I've been using the MOE pistol grip (and shooting pictures of them) for a little while now, and have no doubt at all that these will be as durable as the MIAD.

I've got a review written up as well as additional pictures for the MOE pistol grip at the below link for those who are interested.

www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3666#post3666 (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3666#post3666)

I'll update this thread with pictures, and answer whatever questions I can based on my experiences with the MOE products (I have no info to release as far as products until Magpul authorizes it). As more MOE products come online, and as Magpul authorizes the release of additional pictures and info for upcoming MOE items, that will be posted in this thread as well. Hopefully other people will do the same.

Hopefully the Magpul crew will be able to answer questions with everything else they have going on.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_5822%201028%20Stick.jpg

rob_s
07-13-08, 17:08
Is this the equivalent of the medium backstrap and smooth fronstrap of the MIAD?

Jay Cunningham
07-13-08, 17:34
That grip looks pretty much like exactly what I want. I have a Falcon Ergo on mine right now, and while passable that MOE grip is exactly what I want.

Good stuff.

JTrusty
07-13-08, 17:42
Being a huge fan of the Hogue grip, I am holding out for the MOE Plus. Which if the grapevine is right, should be anytime now. :)

Stickman
07-13-08, 18:10
Is this the equivalent of the medium backstrap and smooth fronstrap of the MIAD?

Exactly. That is what most people use in their MIAD configurations evidently. I guess that makes me a freak running the other front strap. :D

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_5842%201028%20Stick.jpg

Stickman
07-13-08, 18:11
Being a huge fan of the Hogue grip, I am holding out for the MOE Plus. Which if the grapevine is right, should be anytime now. :)

Until otherwise directed, I have no idea what you are referring to.

jmart
07-13-08, 18:25
Stick,

The "Plus" version is the same grip with a rubber overmolding incorporated for a tackier grip. According to their catalog, it will retail for $3 more dollars than the plain, MOE version (which is the same polymer as the MIAD from what I understand).

Stephen_H
07-14-08, 07:58
Is the grip plug/cover the same or at least compatible with the MIAD?

Stephen

Detective_D
07-14-08, 08:06
Stick,

The "Plus" version is the same grip with a rubber overmolding incorporated for a tackier grip. According to their catalog, it will retail for $3 more dollars than the plain, MOE version (which is the same polymer as the MIAD from what I understand).

I believe he knows what you are talking about, but is just stating that he can not say anything about it yet until he has permission. :D

Stickman
07-14-08, 09:27
Is the grip plug/cover the same or at least compatible with the MIAD?

Stephen

Same one from what I can tell, and all of my current MIAD cores drop into place and lock in without any problem.

Stephen_H
07-14-08, 09:34
Same one from what I can tell, and all of my current MIAD cores drop into place and lock in without any problem.

I assumed so, but wanted to double check. I hope the MBUS sights are next!

Stephen

Stickman
07-14-08, 18:40
I have a feeling that the MBUS are going to be a huge hit.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_6595%201028%20Stick.jpg

Saginaw79
07-14-08, 19:40
Thats nice, I like the price too! :)

ST911
07-14-08, 20:43
Exactly. That is what most people use in their MIAD configurations evidently. I guess that makes me a freak running the other front strap. :D

Finger grooves fit few well.

I prefer the full backstrap myself, but I'll take a medium as well. The MOE is a welcome addition to the line.

Ridge_Runner_5
07-15-08, 02:40
Damn you Stick and your Magpul receiver!!!

The MOE looks nice, but for now Im gonna stick to my MIAD...Im enjoying it much more than I thought I would...and it goes well with my CTR, Trigger Guard, PMags w/Ranger Plates and XT Rail Covers :D

rob_s
07-15-08, 04:43
I prefer the full backstrap myself, but I'll take a medium as well.

I'm with you. Prefer the full but don't mind the medium.

I do wish they had come up with a way to mold a "gapper" of some sort into the MOE.

Robb Jensen
07-15-08, 04:53

I do wish they had come up with a way to mold a "gapper" of some sort into the MOE.

If you use the Magpul metal triggerguard you won't need a gapper.

rob_s
07-15-08, 05:59
I understand that, and that's what I do with the MIAD, but it would be nice not to have to use that product and have the grip fill in the gap. Doubly so when the point of the MOE products appears to be reduced cost through simplicity. Better to buy one product, the grip, than to have to buy the grip AND the trigger guard (which, incidentally, has no real benefit other than filling the gap).

I've come to prefer, slightly, the MIAD over the Tango Down, but the fact that the TD covers the gap is an advantage of that grip for me.

Robb Jensen
07-15-08, 07:16
I understand that, and that's what I do with the MIAD, but it would be nice not to have to use that product and have the grip fill in the gap. Doubly so when the point of the MOE products appears to be reduced cost through simplicity. Better to buy one product, the grip, than to have to buy the grip AND the trigger guard (which, incidentally, has no real benefit other than filling the gap).

I've come to prefer, slightly, the MIAD over the Tango Down, but the fact that the TD covers the gap is an advantage of that grip for me.

Yeah I'd like to see that too. Or a MOE with a built in Magpul triggerguard but without the A2 notch/fingergroove (I hate that thing).

rob_s
07-15-08, 07:52
Yeah I'd like to see that too. Or a MOE with a built in Magpul triggerguard but without the A2 notch/fingergroove (I hate that thing).

Now that would be a GREAT idea. I've been meaning to grind one of mine off and fill it in with epoxy.

Stickman
07-15-08, 10:46
Doubly so when the point of the MOE products appears to be reduced cost through simplicity. Better to buy one product, the grip, than to have to buy the grip AND the trigger guard (which, incidentally, has no real benefit other than filling the gap).

Unless I'm missing something, building the MOE pistol grip with a spacer would then exclude the use of the aluminum trigger guard, which would be rather poor planning on their part.

rob_s
07-15-08, 10:49
Obviously. Much better, from a company's point of view, to get you to buy two products where one would have sufficed.

ST911
07-15-08, 11:05

I wish I had some MIAD cores so I use this collection of medium inserts...

IroquoisSnakePlissken
08-23-08, 13:53
Obviously. Much better, from a company's point of view, to get you to buy two products where one would have sufficed.

MagPul has done a fantastic job keeping me broke.

I'm wondering if the M93 will resurface in a stripped-down MOE version...That would cause me to go out, and be broke again.

Ridge_Runner_5
08-23-08, 13:57
Im guessing you guys arent on the Larue mailing list, eh?

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5867/ude20smalltg1.jpg

Comes out in a couple weeks, $225 + shipping for all the FDE stuff on there...

Soulrack223
08-23-08, 14:00
Im guessing you guys arent on the Larue mailing list, eh?

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5867/ude20smalltg1.jpg

Comes out in a couple weeks, $225 + shipping for all the FDE stuff on there...

LaRue needs to offer complete rifles with their unique furniture color and billet uppers and lowers.

Ridge_Runner_5
08-23-08, 14:07
Ah but the prices would be horrendous...$250 for a stripped lower?

Falboy
11-13-08, 07:59
I've never handled a MIAD or a MOE equivalent, but it kinda reminds me of the MP5 Navy grip...... or am I off base?

Ridge_Runner_5
11-13-08, 10:53
I've never handled a MIAD or a MOE equivalent, but it kinda reminds me of the MP5 Navy grip...... or am I off base?

Way different...the AR grip is of course much thicker than the MP-5's...while the NAVY grip is smooth, the Magpul grips have a gritty texture on them to allow you to keep your grip...however, I find this grip more annoying, and I miss my Hogue in that regard...could probably buff it a bit to smooth it out, though...