PDA

View Full Version : 300 BLK Mini-14

rsilvers
04-22-15, 12:41
http://s28.postimg.org/6qo4myfrh/7086a8d8_9f89_46ca_82c2_0c4eade6d3f9.jpg

WickedWillis
04-22-15, 12:49
Did they fix all of the accuracy issues recently?

platoonDaddy
04-22-15, 13:41
Looks neat, but why 300 blackout over 7.62x39mm?

WickedWillis
04-22-15, 13:46
Looks neat, but why 300 blackout over 7.62x39mm?

Isn't the Mini 30 in 7.62x39?

ScottsBad
04-22-15, 13:55
Seems odd that Ruger would put money into expanding the Mini line when they are undermining the Mini-14 with their new AR556 DI AR which is less expensive. I think the Mini line will eventually go away. Maybe it was an easy conversion from the 7.62x39 version to the .300BLK version so they just decided to go for it.

AND they are still using proprietary magazines. Wonder if they are just Mini-14 magazines?

rsilvers
04-22-15, 14:25
Maybe it was an easy conversion from the 7.62x39 version to the .300BLK version

300 BLK ia an easy conversion from 5.56mm, not from 7.62x39mm.

rsilvers
04-22-15, 14:26
Did they fix all of the accuracy issues recently?
You mean from 1973 from it not being free-floated? Or is there some recent issue you are speaking of?

ST911
04-22-15, 20:05
Prediction: Discontinued by end 2016.

PrarieDog
04-22-15, 23:33
Ruger is offering another caliber that you can repeatedly miss with in the mini 14 line.

fledge
04-22-15, 23:42
An additional bullet-buttonless option for California shooters?

CRAMBONE
04-22-15, 23:49
:lazy2:

hk_shootr
04-23-15, 06:35
The Mini is a great carbine! However, Mini and accurate, should never be in the same sentence. It is reasonably accurate for a few shots. Flyers are quite common when the barrel warms up after five or ten shots fired. Many have tried to improve upon this, cry treating the barrel helps.

firefighter37
04-23-15, 06:39
Prediction: Discontinued by end 2016.

Will it even make it that long? It should be discontinued before release.

rsilvers
04-23-15, 06:40
How many MOA do you think a 10 shot group would be?

firefighter37
04-23-15, 06:40
How many MOA do you think a 10 shot group would be?

Its not measured in MOA its measured in HOA, hours of angle.

Eurodriver
04-23-15, 07:14
I love Mini14s.

If they made a mini with a wood stock that could hit a 20oz soda bottle consistently at 100 yards and it took AR mags I would be all over one.

I sold my Mini 30 because the only thing less accurate was throwing rocks.

rsilvers
04-23-15, 07:30
The word on the street is that Ruger revamped the rifle back in 2005 to address that.

ST911
04-23-15, 22:17
There was a pretty comprehensive Mini-14 thread here a little while back that addressed developments in the line, esp the 580+ series tweaks. Worth a read.

MistWolf
04-23-15, 22:34
The Mini is a great carbine! However, Mini and accurate, should never be in the same sentence. It is reasonably accurate for a few shots. Flyers are quite common when the barrel warms up after five or ten shots fired. Many have tried to improve upon this, cry treating the barrel helps.

You mean treating the barrel with your tears when you cry over the rifle each time you shoot it?

Hemoglobin
04-24-15, 08:13
You mean treating the barrel with your tears when you cry over the rifle each time you shoot it?

Lol

I didn't look at the date code or anything, but about 5 years back a friend of mine got one as part of a trade. It had supposedly never been shot when he received it, but that doesn't mean much, it still could have been 15 years old for all I know. We didn't measure groups or anything but it hit the target at 80 or so yards. It was at a public range near Bristol Motor Speedway and honestly we quit shooting at the target and joined some guy at shooting milk jugs at 15 yards.

At that particular range that day I can say a lot of the people did check out the mini and I got ugly looks when firing my AR. The wood stock mini had a a2 style flash hider and my AR had an a2... so deduce that one for me. I think the mini will continue to sell regardless of accuracy. I live in Tennessee and shoot at ranges with friends out in the sticks some times and it's hard to not sound condescending here, but I think the mini will continue to do fine with the "love all things Ruger, Remington, S&W, and wooden" crowd.

SomeOtherGuy
04-25-15, 20:31
True confessions: I own a Mini-14. Technically a Ranch Rifle (Mini-14 with slightly different sights). It's a decent rifle. Mine is a 580+ series which means the barrel is slightly thicker than before, it's extra thick just forward of the gas block and rapidly tapering to a fixed-diameter section, and it's built on new tooling rather than the original 1973 tooling. I haven't done serious accuracy testing, but in casual shooting with FMJ ammo it's just as accurate as my iron-sighted AR15s using the same ammo. If I had more free time I'd put a scope on and try small groups with good ammo, but I don't have the time. The newer Minis are probably 2-3 MOA rifles, and that's good enough for their intended audience. That audience is not cross-shopping free floated ARs with match grade barrels, btw - at best they might be cross shopping things like the DPMS Sportical, S&W M&P15 Sport, Ruger's AR-556, etc. The Mini is a somewhat crude and very obsolete design, but it also has a certain charm, and for its real target market of low-speed high-drag tactical Emus, it is a reasonable (though not great) option.

All that said, I agree that this will be discontinued by end of 2016, if it makes it that long. Ruger has an incredible knack for putting out half-baked new variations and then abandoning them before they have a chance to get market share. Witness the Mini/Ranch in 6.8 SPC. They also had a precision-oriented 20" stainless barrel version of their piston AR that lasted maybe 6 months on the regular market.

Kain
04-25-15, 21:06
I have no doubt that it will sell, at least for a little while. Though as was pointed out by SomeOtherGuy Ruger does like to run odd ball guns/models, at least going by the fact he listed a couple ones which I had never even heard of. So it very well could go the way of the 6.8 Mini 14, though with it not being all that different from the regular mini 14 it might make it a little further, might. That said, unless you live in a commie state I really don't see what this, or any Mini 14 does for you. Was at my local Cabela's today and they had a few Mini 14 on the used rack which I obligingly picked up along with a dozen others to toy with, shoulder, and in general mess around with because they are guns and I like guns. The Price ran from $700-800 USED! I am not sure I really want to know what one of them would run new at the place, but I just don't see it selling when you can pick up a new AR15 from Colt for a little, if any more. Then again, that place tends to be ****ing mental on it's prices with used Bushmasters running $800+ and used sig 55x rifles in $1500 range, then again most other local gun stores are not much, if any better, some are indeed a good deal worse so it just comes down to economics and the AR is winning handily at the moment. Which is sad since a wood stocked Mini 14 always appealed to me in an old school way. Should have bought one when they ran in the $500 range.

SomeOtherGuy
04-25-15, 21:23
I have no doubt that it will sell, at least for a little while. Though as was pointed out by SomeOtherGuy Ruger does like to run odd ball guns/models, at least going by the fact he listed a couple ones which I had never even heard of. So it very well could go the way of the 6.8 Mini 14, though with it not being all that different from the regular mini 14 it might make it a little further, might.

I'm wondering if this makes even less sense than the 6.8 SPC Ranch model. Reading between the lines in their ad it sounds like this will NOT cycle subsonic rounds unless using a suppressor, while many 300BLK AR uppers claim they will cycle both supers and subs with or without a suppressor. This may be an area where DI is beneficial. Also there are few magazine options for 6.8 SPC so the Ruger's proprietary mags were less of a handicap, compared to 300BLK where nearly all 5.56 mags will work. And finally, 6.8 SPC makes decent sense for deer or hog hunting in line with Ruger's typical market, while I'm skeptical of how many Ruger fans are going to be suppressor owners.

That said, unless you live in a commie state I really don't see what this, or any Mini 14 does for you. Was at my local Cabela's today and they had a few Mini 14 on the used rack which I obligingly picked up along with a dozen others to toy with, shoulder, and in general mess around with because they are guns and I like guns. The Price ran from $700-800 USED!

Used gun prices are often inflated. I've seen new Mini-Ranch rifles for $650 or so with modest shopping around. Most Ruger models eventually show up at CDNN and deals can be had if one waits. Fearless prediction - the 300BLK Mini-14 will be at CDNN for $699 or less in two years. And it will linger in their inventory for >12 months.

Long and short is that the Mini-14 is an aged and obsolete platform. I expect Ruger will keep making and selling them for however long there is a net profit, but it's not where I would be looking for any serious innovation.

Kain
04-25-15, 21:32
I'm wondering if this makes even less sense than the 6.8 SPC Ranch model. Reading between the lines in their ad it sounds like this will NOT cycle subsonic rounds unless using a suppressor, while many 300BLK AR uppers claim they will cycle both supers and subs with or without a suppressor. This may be an area where DI is beneficial. Also there are few magazine options for 6.8 SPC so the Ruger's proprietary mags were less of a handicap, compared to 300BLK where nearly all 5.56 mags will work. And finally, 6.8 SPC makes decent sense for deer or hog hunting in line with Ruger's typical market, while I'm skeptical of how many Ruger fans are going to be suppressor owners.

Used gun prices are often inflated. I've sense new Mini-Ranch rifles for $650 or so new with modest shopping around. Most Ruger models eventually show up at CDNN and deals can be had if one waits. Fearless prediction - the 300BLK Mini-14 will be at CDNN for $699 or less in two years.

Long and short is that the Mini-14 is an aged and obsolete platform. I expect Ruger will keep making and selling them for however long there is a net profit, but it's not where I would be looking for any serious innovation.

True on the 6.8, but from a manufacturing standpoint the .300 is makes more sense since the barrel is the only difference. I did see that remark on the cycling sonic, and sub sonic rounds, and personally am not clear. If designed to run only suppressed it would be a bit of a head scratcher.

As far as used gun prices. Yeah, I know that. I've bought a handful of guns from CDNN, as well as 90% of my Glock mags. But, a lot of people are not that smart, or not willing to wait, preferring to pay a premium for instant gratification. Though higher dollar/smaller market items can be found at some of the big stores and even LGSs at times for good prices. Saw a Nighthawk GRP at Cabelas for I think $2200 one time a couple years back.

FlyingHunter
04-26-15, 12:42
I'm hoping the Ruger Mini 14 entry in 300 blackout will continue to inspire new ammunition developments. Namely, a subsonic that reliably expands, like a 9mm/45acp.

rsilvers
04-29-15, 19:47
I can only think of three not-very-good reasons to shoot subsonic unsuppressed:

1. You are at an indoor range that would allow subsonic but not supersonic rifle rounds.
2. In an emergency when you only have subsonic ammo.
3. If you accidentally have it in your magazine, and don't want a malfunction.

FlyingHunter
04-29-15, 21:37
I can only think of three not-very-good reasons to shoot subsonic unsuppressed:

1. You are at an indoor range that would allow subsonic but not supersonic rifle rounds.
2. In an emergency when you only have subsonic ammo.
3. If you accidentally have it in your magazine, and don't want a malfunction.

Agree - I'm finding my suppressor never leaves my 300 Blackout (AAC 9" SBR). I do hope the engineers can find the secret sauce to develop a subsonic round with expansion in the realm of modern duty pistol ammunition. I enjoyed a conversation with the Hornady team at the NRA show. They admitted the challenge was significant but receiving attention when I asked, "why no new 300Bk ammo from you guys"?

Gunnar da Wolf
04-30-15, 08:25
I'd think a Mini in .300BO with supersonic ammo would be everything that the M1 carbine wanted to be. Just 70 years late.
Still a nifty rifle for carrying around in the pickup or 4 wheeler on a farm.

Speer with their Gold Dot or Fusion rifle bullets would have the best chance of producing a reliably expanding subsonic bullet.

Apricotshot
04-30-15, 10:03
This rifle is about as useful as a broken condom.

soulezoo
04-30-15, 11:00
While we here at M4C may largely not see a use for the mini, I suspect it will march on for the reasons earlier posted.

There are those who simply don't like the AR look for silly reasons... but it is their reasons. They like the mini.

I bought mine in the late 80's in CA when anything AR was illegal. Got it for $160. For that price it shoots pretty well. My wife can shoot it fine and it doesn't intimidate her the way my Noveske does. And simpler to operate. For her anyway.

Ok, accuracy is still HOA... love that.

Tokarev
05-01-15, 17:46
I like the Mini. Yeah, it ain't a benchrest gun and it isn't as modular as an AR but it does alright as a general defensive rifle. And it is also a fun little gun to shoot. Not all guns have to be milspec or battle tested, etc. Sometimes it is fun to have a gun just because...

Anyway, I think this launch is a good idea on Ruger's part. They are offering something in an AR caliber that isn't an AR for guys who want something different. I, as an example, have AR in 300BLK and will likely pick one of these up to have something different to mess with. So in that regard I'm glad to see Ruger offering a semi-auto that isn't an AR for a change. This also offers a rifle in ban states in 300BLK for shooters who can't have something else.

The other good move is the price. What AR in 300BLK is out there for $700? The market has been lacking a factory gun that's under a Grand. With that said, I think Ruger would do well with the AR556 in Blackout too for this same reason.

I was fortunate enough to tour Ruger's NH facility back last year. I was amazed to see how much there is devoted to Mini production. Apparently that rifle continues to sell well despite our disdain for such an outdated design.

Now all we need is the classic Ruger folding stock.

Big A
05-01-15, 18:57

If they brought that back they would sell a shit load of Mini's in every caliber. Or if the modified slightly to take AR grips so you could get your Magpul on...

ETA: I wonder if this means the Mini-30 is on it's way out?

Tokarev
05-01-15, 19:01
If they brought that back they would sell a shit load of Mini's in every caliber. Or if the modified slightly to take AR grips so you could get your Magpul on...
I agree wholeheartedly.

During my factory visit I asked Mark Gurney about bringing the classic stock--or something darn similar--to market. Mr. Gurney said he'd like to do that but Ruger has disposed of the molds and tooling for the metal parts long ago. Retooling would be expensive so the new folder wouldn't be cheap.

Big A
05-01-15, 19:14
I agree wholeheartedly.

During my factory visit I asked Mark Gurney about bringing the classic stock--or something darn similar--to market. Mr. Gurney said he'd like to do that but Ruger has disposed of the molds and tooling for the metal parts long ago. Retooling would be expensive so the new folder wouldn't be cheap.

I always wondered why they hadn't brought them back yet. That's somewhat disappointing, but I guess my GB-F Mini will have a little more resale value :D

Tokarev
05-01-15, 19:17
If you think there's a market like I do it can't hurt to email the CEO.

https://www.ruger.com/dataProcess/tellTheCEO.html

Tokarev
05-04-15, 05:30
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3254/2331927610_514223627f.jpg

Tokarev
05-27-15, 10:41
Here's Jeff Quinn's review with his usual nice pictures, etc.

This should help answer some of the questions about the rifle's accuracy potential.

http://gunblast.com/Ruger-Mini14-300.htm

mechanicus
05-28-15, 10:04
I like the Mini. Yeah, it ain't a benchrest gun and it isn't as modular as an AR but it does alright as a general defensive rifle. And it is also a fun little gun to shoot. Not all guns have to be milspec or battle tested, etc. Sometimes it is fun to have a gun just because...

Anyway, I think this launch is a good idea on Ruger's part. They are offering something in an AR caliber that isn't an AR for guys who want something different. I, as an example, have AR in 300BLK and will likely pick one of these up to have something different to mess with. So in that regard I'm glad to see Ruger offering a semi-auto that isn't an AR for a change. This also offers a rifle in ban states in 300BLK for shooters who can't have something else.

The other good move is the price. What AR in 300BLK is out there for $700? The market has been lacking a factory gun that's under a Grand. With that said, I think Ruger would do well with the AR556 in Blackout too for this same reason.

I was fortunate enough to tour Ruger's NH facility back last year. I was amazed to see how much there is devoted to Mini production. Apparently that rifle continues to sell well despite our disdain for such an outdated design.

Agree that its price point is good - surely the tooling is paid for by now - and it's fun to shoot. My issue for trading them all off was, try as I might, I could not get the little carbine to reliably fall within my minimum accuracy requirement: a 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper at 100 meters ("minute-of-torso"). Sure, I could get maybe half a mag onto the paper. But, lay it down and pick up my AR and I could easily do 2 MOA without even trying hard. Now I have not tried the latest versions that everyones says are better, but it's too late for me - I'm set up w/tooling/parts/etc for AR's.

Tokarev
05-28-15, 10:38
I could not get the little carbine to reliably fall within my minimum accuracy requirement: a 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper at 100 meters ("minute-of-torso").

According to Jeff Quinn's recent review, the Mini in 300BLK will shoot about an inch. Granted he didn't shoot a wide variety of ammo but it looks like stuff that's supposed to shoot well does.

ScottsBad
05-28-15, 14:06
Agree that its price point is good - surely the tooling is paid for by now - and it's fun to shoot. My issue for trading them all off was, try as I might, I could not get the little carbine to reliably fall within my minimum accuracy requirement: a 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper at 100 meters ("minute-of-torso"). Sure, I could get maybe half a mag onto the paper. But, lay it down and pick up my AR and I could easily do 2 MOA without even trying hard. Now I have not tried the latest versions that everyones says are better, but it's too late for me - I'm set up w/tooling/parts/etc for AR's.

I've got two of the new series Mini-14s. One has been modified, but both shoot much better than your experience. The modified Mini will shoot very good groups with 50gr Vmax. Overall I'd say they don't shoot quite as well as a decent AR, but not as bad as the older model Minis. With m193 there is at most maybe 1.5 moa difference (Mini vs. steel barreled AR) at 100 yards. As always it depends a lot on the ammunition used.

I like all firearms, so I've got three types of semi-auto rifles that shoot 5.56 (Minis, SCARs and ARs). The Mini is fun to shoot and I've found it to be reliable, I even have a couple perfect wood Minis from 1976 (not as accurate), but really cool old school rifles.

I still don't get the Mini in 300BLK, but I don't entirely get 300BLK yet, I have AKs, and .308s. From a marketing standpoint maybe it makes sense. If you have a bunch of Mini-14 mags and want more punch maybe a Mini in 300BLK is a cheap way to get there...I don't know.

Tokarev
06-09-15, 18:04
I picked up a new 300BLK Mini this past weekend. Hopefully I'll get some range time this weekend coming.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20150609_185636_zpsga1vgcuw.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tokarev/media/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20150609_185636_zpsga1vgcuw.jpg.html)

operator81
06-19-15, 09:29
Anyone have range time on one of these yet?

Tokarev
06-19-15, 09:30
Not yet. Been raining here on and off (mostly on) for last week or so...

Tokarev
07-07-15, 11:54
Off to the range with a mix of factory and reloaded ammo. More soon.....

Tokarev
07-07-15, 18:45
Alright. So I shot the gun quite a bit and used a mix of super and subs. I shot both type of ammo with and without my AAC can.

Here is five rounds of factory Remington 220gr fired from fifty yards. I was holding at the top of the black for this group. This is about typical of what I saw with subsonic (208gr and 220gr) ammo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20150707_150753_zpsyoiix93y.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tokarev/media/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20150707_150753_zpsyoiix93y.jpg.html)

Here is five rounds of Sierra 125gr Pro Hunters loaded to 2.00" with 18.0gr of 296. Again, this is about typical of what I saw with the gun. The 110gr Nosler Varmageddon factory stuff shot to the same point of impact while the Remington/Barnes 120gr ammo shot about an inch higher than this.

I sighted the rifle in pretty much dead on at 100 yards with the supersonic stuff since this is mostly what I shoot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20150707_150625_zpsrw3wnjxr.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tokarev/media/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20150707_150625_zpsrw3wnjxr.jpg.html)

Tokarev
07-07-15, 18:50
Here's the supersonic load shown with a piece of Blackout brass for comparison.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20150707_150555_zpscdadrepr.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tokarev/media/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20150707_150555_zpscdadrepr.jpg.html)

Here are both the subsonic and supersonic groups shown for comparison. Both groups were shot with iron sights.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20150707_150504_zps5oqlha6f.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tokarev/media/Mobile%20Uploads/PSX_20150707_150504_zps5oqlha6f.jpg.html)

Tokarev
07-07-15, 19:01
Overall I'm very pleased with the little rifle. It seems to want to shoot really well and I'm sure it would do quite a bit better with a trigger job and some magnification. Initially the rifle wouldn't fully cycle suppressed with 10.8gr of 1680 and a Hornady 208gr AMAX but the action seemed to loosen up and the gun was cycling fine with the subs suppressed.

Complaints:

The iron sights pretty much stink. The sight picture while in the shade is perfectly fine but in the sun there's a pretty good amount of glare off the rather square blade. Ruger should angle the entire front sight blade to about 45 degrees and serrate it.

The rear sight's peep is pretty decent but the sight itself is damn near impossible to adjust. To correct the windage the shooter must loosen one allen screw on one side of the rear and tighten the other. There's no real way to accurately adjust. It is really just a trial and error method. Same to adjust elevation. The windage adjustment screws have to be loosened and then the aperture can be screwed up or down accordingly. This is really a haphazard affair. Ruger really should come up with something a bit more user friendly. Along these same lines it might be neat to see if Ruger can't make a rear sight with two apertures. One would be used for zeroing supersonic and the other would be used for zeroing subsonic.