PDA

View Full Version : PSA 20" CHF Upper vs BCM

Cincinnatus15
04-22-15, 14:29
Hi guys,

Just wondering how these stack up to BCM's offerings?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/20282/s/psa-20-chf-5-56-nato-1-7-upper-no-handguards-no-bcg-or-charging-handle/category/4233/

SomeOtherGuy
04-22-15, 14:38
I've had one of the PSA CHF 20" uppers for several years and haven't had any problems. The FSB on mine is slightly off from vertical, but that's common with many brands. The barrel is made by FN and you simply have to trust PSA not to mess up the installation of the FSB and barrel into the upper receiver. I have only shot mine with irons and have not noticed any accuracy issues compared to other uppers I have, but can't vouch for accuracy beyond that minimal extent.

That said - unless you are specifically trying to make an M16A4 clone with an A2 front sight, there are many better options now for quality, accurate, longer barrels.

NWcityguy2
04-22-15, 16:09
FN makes great barrels and PSA sells them at the lowest price around. PSA has also improved their QC in recent years. These days a quality chrome lined barrel will out shoot many of the people pulling the trigger.

My FN barrel (16" button rifled mid-length, aka "premium") shoots 1.5 moa with quality ammo.

Eurodriver
04-22-15, 17:55
There are 82 posts of info here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?166464-PSA-CHF-20

This thread's two replies before mine are already headed in a similar direction (Crooked FSB, FN Barrels, Low price, QC in recent years gotten better, etc etc) so it might be easier to just read that.

hossb7
04-22-15, 18:40
This (contentious) topic of discussion came up recently on another board I frequent. Many members said PSA is a great alternative to BCM, especially when you factor in the price.

I did some research and found the price difference is negligible at best:

PSA CFH 16" middy with no BCG or CH: $309 (out of stock, but that's their price) - http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies/psa/5-56-nato-223/16/psa-16-chf-mid-length-premium-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html
BCM BFH 16" middy with no BCG or CH: $515 - http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh.htm

$206 difference.

Then, when accounting for the BCM coming with a Mod 0 Comp for free ($89 value) the actual difference when comparing straight apples to apples is $117.

This is for the CFH/BFH barrel. When comparing regular barrels, I believe the difference drops to $79.

Eurodriver
04-22-15, 18:41
Hoss,

20" uppers don't come with the comp.

NWcityguy2
04-22-15, 18:54
It's a stretch to say that the Gunfighter comp is actually worth $89 anyway. However, BCM is becoming a better value now that are offering a BCG and charging handle for $70 if you buy it with an upper.

I think you'll be happy with either. If you focus in on the people with first hand experience with either product, they highly recommend them.

7.62NATO
04-22-15, 19:40
Go BCM for peace of mind. I'll gladly pay extra to decrease my chance of getting a lemon. BCM QA/QC >>>>>>PSA from personal experience.

SomeOtherGuy
04-22-15, 19:50
BCM quality is reliably good and PSA is not - that much is simple. In the 16" offerings there are some identically spec'd BCM to PSA offerings and you can simply pay a little extra for BCM quality. However, PSA offers a 20" FN-made cold hammer forged barrel and BCM does not. BCM's 20" is button rifled, and I'm not sure where it's made (although FN would not surprise me). If you think there is something to hammer forging, or if you intend to operate your civilian upper as if it's a SAW, the CHF is nice to have.

Which kinda gets back to my question - is the OP trying to clone a M16A4? If so, both are good options. If not, something else that's free floated and has a better barrel profile would be a better option.

pyrotechnic
04-23-15, 00:11
Not a 20" upper but my experience with PSA quality and CS.

I purchased a PSA 6.8 BCG for a build 2 summers ago. Once I got it all pieced together I had short stroking issues that were resolved by using another bolt. PSA refused to replace anything because I was outside their 30 day return policy. Since it was their own branded BCG I was SOL.

Cincinnatus15
04-23-15, 07:07
BCM quality is reliably good and PSA is not - that much is simple. In the 16" offerings there are some identically spec'd BCM to PSA offerings and you can simply pay a little extra for BCM quality. However, PSA offers a 20" FN-made cold hammer forged barrel and BCM does not. BCM's 20" is button rifled, and I'm not sure where it's made (although FN would not surprise me). If you think there is something to hammer forging, or if you intend to operate your civilian upper as if it's a SAW, the CHF is nice to have.
Which kinda gets back to my question - is the OP trying to clone a M16A4? If so, both are good options. If not, something else that's free floated and has a better barrel profile would be a better option.

I've had a BCM 20"A4 before and due to some financial issues I had to sell it. I loved it and have been thinking about getting another one soon. I've got the Knights M5 RAS AND VFG still sitting in my closet. I was just curious about PSA because they seem to have a lot of fans and their prices are nice but I've never had any experience with them personally. I will say that from having the BCM before, I have no desire to get anything else in that price range. I'm sure the other companies like DD make great stuff but I loved my BCM.

Cincinnatus15
04-23-15, 07:09
Just wanna say thanks to everyone who responded. I really appreciate the first hand experiences and advice. I'm going BCM.

RWH24
04-24-15, 00:36
How does Fulton Armory fair in the AR complete uppers line.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/FAR-15-Complete-Uppers.aspx

Flankenstein
04-24-15, 01:06
Deja Vu

Berserkr556
04-24-15, 08:16
The FSB on mine is slightly off from vertical, but that's common with many brands.

I have a dozen ARs the majority of them are BCM and a few Colts. Not one of them has a canted FSB. I've owned many other ARs since the early 80s mostly Colt and have handled thousands through jobs in the past and not one had a canted FSB. Only hobby guns come to market with a canted FSB.

If you want peace of mind quality spend the extra money and buy BCM. If you're cheap and think all ARs are the same then buy PSA

jackblack73
04-24-15, 14:51
I have a dozen ARs the majority of them are BCM and a few Colts. Not one of them has a canted FSB. I've owned many other ARs since the early 80s mostly Colt and have handled thousands through jobs in the past and not one had a canted FSB. Only hobby guns come to market with a canted FSB.

If you want peace of mind quality spend the extra money and buy BCM. If you're cheap and think all ARs are the same then buy PSA
My BCM had a slightly canted FSB. I needed to adjust my rear sight far to the left to zero. It wasn't too big of a deal. Especially now because I've since chopped it off.

Mauser KAR98K
04-26-15, 12:31
How does Fulton Armory fair in the AR complete uppers line.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/FAR-15-Complete-Uppers.aspx

With that price, I'd call and get a White Oak that is free floated with 1/2moa sights.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17551&cat=259&page=1

ncmavro
05-03-15, 15:56
FWIW i bought a 20 inch bcm upper about a year ago, free floated it, and regularly shoot .75-1.5 MOA 5 shot groups at 100 with 55gr freedom munitions reloads, and can right a 10 inch gong at 600 yards fairly consistently with a 4X scope. Really surprised me as i didn't expect to have that level of accuracy out of a standard 20 inch gov profile barrel, haven't tried any 77 or 69gr match grade ammo out of it so can't comment on that, and the groups opened up a bit with m193, 1.5-2 MOA at 100. I would lean towards the BCM if you don't want to spend a lot on a match grade barrel.