PDA

View Full Version : Scored some cool old gun books/magazines

graffex
04-24-15, 16:35
Was doing a electrical service change at this house that I'm renovating today. The house used to belong to this fellows parents, he is in his early 60's I'd say. He's selling the house and it still had a lot of his long since passed fathers belongings. I eyed up 3 big binders full of American Rifle magazines. Between the 3 of them they have every American Rifleman magazine, all December edition, from 1952 till the year 2000.

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j401/graffex84/book4.jpg

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j401/graffex84/books5.jpg

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j401/graffex84/books2.jpg

All the magazines are in perfect condition, the binder is a little dust from sitting in the old timers basement for god know how long. Also snagged a book about pocket pistols, colt single action army, and and old gunsmithing manual.

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j401/graffex84/books1.jpg

His old man used to do a lot of shooting and gunsmithing back in the day and used to have quite a collection. I asked the homeowner/son what he was gonna do with those books and he said he had no interest in them and would give them to me for 20 bucks. Not sure if there worth anything but I thought they where awesome and took them.

Sickening looking at the old adds with highpowers and like for only 50 bucks :eek:

SteyrAUG
04-24-15, 17:18
While ebay is flooded with old issues of American Rifleman, you still did quite well for $20.00

But more than money, this part of a mans collection remained intact and found somebody who will appreciate it and take care of it.

Reading old issues is quite the eye opener as it gives one a sense of how things truly were at the time. The 1968-74 issues should prove interesting.

KalashniKEV
04-24-15, 17:43
Sickening looking at the old adds with highpowers and like for only 50 bucks :eek:

$50 was $400 right up until the early 60's.

Were they milsurps?

ralph
04-24-15, 18:33
While ebay is flooded with old issues of American Rifleman, you still did quite well for $20.00

But more than money, this part of a mans collection remained intact and found somebody who will appreciate it and take care of it.

Reading old issues is quite the eye opener as it gives one a sense of how things truly were at the time. The 1968-74 issues should prove interesting.

Very well said.. Right after I moved into my present house (13-14 yrs ago) There was a estate auction at the house down the street from me, After it was over, there were piles of stuff left on the curb for the garbage man to pick up. I went and looked, in one box I found a book about the size of a highschool yearbook. inside were photos, and a description of apparently the former home owners WWII training(Army) and their units experiences in Europe from late 1944, through the end of the war, along with a small stack of "Stars and stripes" with the notation on the banner "printed in Germany" in the stack of S&S, I also found a meimographed newsletter from a ship, dated 12/45. I put it together and this represented this man's tour in WWII Europe, the news letter being from the ship that brought him back to the U.S. I took all of this home with me.. I could not let the garbage man get it. To this day I cannot believe that people would just throw stuff like this out in the trash. I mean this guy had family,kids, and yet, they didn't give enough of a shit to save that..unbelievable...

SteyrAUG
04-24-15, 18:43
Very well said.. Right after I moved into my present house (13-14 yrs ago) There was a estate auction at the house down the street from me, After it was over, there were piles of stuff left on the curb for the garbage man to pick up. I went and looked, in one box I found a book about the size of a highschool yearbook. inside were photos, and a description of apparently the former home owners WWII training(Army) and their units experiences in Europe from late 1944, through the end of the war, along with a small stack of "Stars and stripes" with the notation on the banner "printed in Germany" in the stack of S&S, I also found a meimographed newsletter from a ship, dated 12/45. I put it together and this represented this man's tour in WWII Europe, the news letter being from the ship that brought him back to the U.S. I took all of this home with me.. I could not let the garbage man get it. To this day I cannot believe that people would just throw stuff like this out in the trash. I mean this guy had family,kids, and yet, they didn't give enough of a shit to save that..unbelievable...

Never ceases to amaze me. I know a guy who has the P-38 his father brought back from the war. When he told me it was in a box in a Florida attic I told him he should immediately clean it. When I talked to him a couple years later and asked about it, he told me he forgot. I told him to drop it at my house and I would clean it for FREE. That was several years ago.

It's likely fused shut by rust by now. Florida attics are probably the worst place to put anything.

graffex
04-24-15, 18:51

Yeah I think he was surprised to find someone who took interest in his dads dusty old books honestly. I told him it would be going to a good home where it would be appreciated :) Can't wait to read through some of the old articles and hear some wisdom of some older cats like Col. Copper who have since departed.

ralph
04-24-15, 18:59
Never ceases to amaze me. I know a guy who has the P-38 his father brought back from the war. When he told me it was in a box in a Florida attic I told him he should immediately clean it. When I talked to him a couple years later and asked about it, he told me he forgot. I told him to drop it at my house and I would clean it for FREE. That was several years ago.

It's likely fused shut by rust by now. Florida attics are probably the worst place to put anything.

I know.. I lived in Florida for 8 years.. 1980-88. I lived in the Ft. Myers area, summers in S.Florida were hot and humid,(As you well know) I remember that if I didn't keep my guns in my gun cabinet, cover with a coat of lube they'd start rusting..quick.