PDA

View Full Version : 1 Piece QD Scope Mounts: Bobro, LaRue, ADM, other?

Will_Power
04-26-15, 22:52
Looking to upgrade my scope mount as I continue to try and improve my marksmanship skills (along with the rifle itself).

I'm specifically looking at the QD mounts around the $200-ish range from LaRue, ADM, and Bobro in order to practice with my iron sights from time to time, as well (I'm in the process of ordering a KAC 600m flip up rear sight).

Of the above, I see mount designs using both one and two levers to attach to the picatinny rail.

Which design is the most conducive for holding zero?

This is going on a 20" 1:7 5.56 AR-15 shooting 75/77gr bullets. I haven't shot out past 300m yet, but assembled this rifle explicitly to learn on.

Should I go ahead and get a 20 MOA mount in anticipation of learning - and getting the opportunity - to shoot much further? Buy once, cry once?

Nightstalker865
04-27-15, 05:56
What optic are you going to be using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will_Power
04-27-15, 08:51
What optic are you going to be using?

At present, a Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP Mil/Mil. Been great for a starter scope, and I've no complaints given its price (the dials are on the squishy side, though - would like firmer clicks).

However, I'll be upgrading at the end of the summer, just on principle. Thinking hard about the Bushnell Elite Tactical in illuminated 3-12x44.

Nightstalker865
04-27-15, 09:09
At present, a Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP Mil/Mil. Been great for a starter scope, and I've no complaints given its price (the dials are on the squishy side, though - would like firmer clicks).

However, I'll be upgrading at the end of the summer, just on principle. Thinking hard about the Bushnell Elite Tactical in illuminated 3-12x44.

I haven't looked at the specs on the Bushnell Elite, but I would think it would have enough elevation built into the turret for most practical 5.56/.223 ranges. I'm in the process of building an SPR with a Vortex 2.5-10X FFP on it. Looking at the math I shouldn't have any issues dialing out to 900-1000m when sitting on a 0MOA mount. Anything over 1000m would be pushing it and I would start looking at a 20MOA mount for some help. Realistically at 1K I want something else besides the 5.56/.223 round. While it's possible to hit further than that, it just isn't practical in my opinion. Long story short, for anything under 1000m you should be just fine with a 0MOA mount given a quality optic.

I've got 2 Bobro mounts now that are several years old. They have been on and off multiple times and been dropped or handled roughly countless times. Neither of them has lost zero. For the SPR build I have decided to go back with another Bobro because the other two have worked so well.

Good luck with your build.

Will_Power
04-27-15, 09:24
I've got 2 Bobro mounts now that are several years old. They have been on and off multiple times and been dropped or handled roughly countless times. Neither of them has lost zero. For the SPR build I have decided to go back with another Bobro because the other two have worked so well.

Bobro being the clear number one choice seems to be the consensus.

Benito
04-27-15, 22:39
I've had mounts from all 3 of the listed manufacturers. As most people here will tell you, they are all high quality and will hold zero when properly installed. It mostly comes down to personal preference.

For me personally, I like the ADM and Bobro more because they adjust to a wider array of rail dimensions while not marring the rail. The Bobro's are a tiny bit heavier and more expensive, but extremely well-made. The ADMs rock too. Can't lose either way.

Will_Power
04-28-15, 08:43
Well, I pulled the trigger on the Bobro.

John McQuay's review on his 8541 Tactical YouTube channel is what sealed the deal for me.

titanse05
04-28-15, 09:01
Well, I pulled the trigger on the Bobro.

John McQuay's review on his 8541 Tactical YouTube channel is what sealed the deal for me.You have chosen wisely. I've have had them all and the only ones that remain are the Bobros.

Will_Power
04-30-15, 16:24
While I wait on the Bobro to get in, I need to also pick up a KAC 200-600m flip up rear sight.

I've two questions regarding them, one very dumb and the other only kind of dumb:

1. Are all AR sights designed to align with one another according to spec (apart from the specially designated gas block height sights and towers)? I've got a PRI combo flip up sight/gas block and want to ensure the KACs will play nice.

2. I like the larger knob on the full size KAC sight, but have concerns if it will fit under the optic or not. It's a pretty tight fit now with the cheapo magpul rear sight and the scope sitting on the Leupold Mark 2 one piece mount.