PDA

View Full Version : Keep the VP9 or sell to fund more Glocks?

PatrioticDisorder
04-28-15, 07:44
I accidentally sold my 3 M&Ps yesterday (minus my BG380 & compact 22 which are staying), I wanted sell them but wasn't actively trying to sell them. 2 seperare buyers made me offers for them and the second buyer made me an offer on my VP9. Between selling the pistol and the extra mags I bought I can recoup 95% of what I paid for it. I've recently come to the conclusion that I want to consolidate everything to Glock 9mms and maybe a G21. However, I feel a bit of an irrational emotional attachment to the VP9 unlike my soulless M&Ps. As a tool the VP9 doesn't really fit as well as the Glocks do, but I really like the pistol.

So what say you, keep the VP9 or rid myself of it and go all Glock?

BuzzinSATX
04-28-15, 07:48
Nothing wrong with having a gun you own just because you like it...unless you really can't afford it.

Take Care,

Buzz

davidjinks
04-28-15, 07:54
I've tried to get out of Glocks. I've tried to have a mix and match setup of guns. None of that worked for me. Maybe it's my OCD, maybe not.

I'm a slave to Glock. I just have too much invested in them, support gear, pieces/parts etc. there's no point in even trying anymore.

If you want to go all Glock, do it now and commit to it so you don't waste anymore time, money or training on guns you won't be "using". If the VP9 has no practical use, get rid of it, recover as much funds as you can and buy yourself a couple Glocks.

I accidentally sold my 3 M&Ps yesterday (minus my BG380 & compact 22 which are staying), I wanted sell them but wasn't actively trying to sell them. 2 seperare buyers made me offers for them and the second buyer made me an offer on my VP9. Between selling the pistol and the extra mags I bought I can recoup 95% of what I paid for it. I've recently come to the conclusion that I want to consolidate everything to Glock 9mms and maybe a G21. However, I feel a bit of an irrational emotional attachment to the VP9 unlike my soulless M&Ps. As a tool the VP9 doesn't really fit as well as the Glocks do, but I really like the pistol.

austinN4
04-28-15, 08:02
.............unlike my soulless M&Ps.
I must be without soul as I consolidated on M&Ps, LOL. Full size and Shields - all 9s.

samuse
04-28-15, 09:00
Get rid of all the nonsense and get a couple Gen4 19s.

1911-A1
04-28-15, 10:59
There's no reason you can't have guns as tools and guns as toys. If you like the VP9, keep it. There's nothing wrong with selling guns, despite what some people would tell you. I'd hate to have $600 sitting on the shelf not doing anything for me.

SteveL
04-28-15, 11:07
If you like it keep it. I get the idea of consolidating to one platform and why people do it, but there's nothing wrong with having more than one type of gun if that's what you want.

noonesshowmonkey
04-28-15, 11:22
Having a well supported stable of Glocks is a great idea. It sounds like you have that already.

What's the harm of having another pistol type in there if it pleases you? Do all of your serious training with the Glocks, carry the Glocks, and shoot the VP9 for funsies. Want vs Need, my man.

brickboy240
04-28-15, 12:03
You know...that is the one thing that keeps me from buying a VP-9 or SIG 320.

The fact that I have so much into the Glock platform with 3 Glocks. Holsters, mags and accessories that fit all Glocks.

If I buy a VP-9 or P320....then I have to go and get another Raven Phamtom (at 100 bucks or so) and spare mags (SIG and HK mags are not cheap or as easy to find) and the whole "adding a new pistol type" issue becomes more of a pain in the ass.

The VP-9 and P320 are appealing...but I too am really on the fence with so much invested in the Glock platform and there is really nothing new that the VP-9 or P320 is going to do for me that the G19/17 and G22 do not already do.

Besides, there are tons more accessories and doo dads for Glocks than any other pistol types out there. It is just "easier" to own Glocks....period...and I don't see that changing dramatically any time soon...sorry.

...hard decision...I know! LOL

PatrioticDisorder
04-28-15, 12:15
Dammit! I'm normally not this indecisive, you guys aren't making it any easier. The Glocks will absolutely be my training/carry/defensive/SHTF go to guns, VP9 would be kept around as a fun gun. I'm still on the fence.... I think part of it is my girlfriend likes shooting the VP9, that and the M&P 22 compact are the only guns she likes shooting (though she doesn't shoot with me often)...

brickboy240
04-28-15, 12:35
Well...if you don't HAVE to get rid of it you might just want to keep it.

I also carry Glocks but KEEP a Hi-Power and a P228 SIG just because I got good deals on them and I like them.

BuzzinSATX
04-28-15, 12:36
Dammit! I'm normally not this indecisive, you guys aren't making it any easier. The Glocks will absolutely be my training/carry/defensive/SHTF go to guns, VP9 would be kept around as a fun gun. I'm still on the fence.... I think part of it is my girlfriend likes shooting the VP9, that and the M&P 22 compact are the only guns she likes shooting (though she doesn't shoot with me often)...

You're indecisive because of a woman (GF)? LOL! If you sell the VP9 and keep the GF, and maybe she becomes a wife, then I see you buying another VP9 on the future. Kinda seems like the two are a "set".

I wanted to keep things simple and my wife and I both shoot Glocks. All was good until my daughter, who as an adult, has tiny hands and hates the Glock grip, decided the XDm fit her hands better (XDm 3.9C), it's really a sweet gun. So that's what I bought her. Now, my wife shoots the dang thing and decides that she really likes the ergo's too. So Brother, if this lady is possibly a keeper, I'd suggest you hang on to the VP as long as she is a part of your picture.

Just advice from a guy who's got 25 years of marriage and two adult daughters that let me live in their world...

Best wishes.

Take Care,

Buzz

donlapalma
04-28-15, 13:33
The Glocks will absolutely be my training/carry/defensive/SHTF go to guns, VP9 would be kept around as a fun gun.

I also made the decision to thin out the the safe and invest further in the Glock platform for all the reasons you already know. In my opinion, there isn't anything wrong with having a "fun gun" unless you can't afford to have a gun sit on the shelf more than it is used. For me, I typically allow myself one gun that I buy and shoot for "fun" but will usually sell it off after the luster has worn off to recoup some cost. I think I do that mainly to satisfy my curiosity and to determine if there is another gun out there far better to make me switch platforms altogether. So far, Glock is still on top for me.

PatrioticDisorder
04-28-15, 14:02
You're indecisive because of a woman (GF)? LOL! If you sell the VP9 and keep the GF, and maybe she becomes a wife, then I see you buying another VP9 on the future. Kinda seems like the two are a "set".

I wanted to keep things simple and my wife and I both shoot Glocks. All was good until my daughter, who as an adult, has tiny hands and hates the Glock grip, decided the XDm fit her hands better (XDm 3.9C), it's really a sweet gun. So that's what I bought her. Now, my wife shoots the dang thing and decides that she really likes the ergo's too. So Brother, if this lady is possibly a keeper, I'd suggest you hang on to the VP as long as she is a part of your picture.

Just advice from a guy who's got 25 years of marriage and two adult daughters that let me live in their world...

Best wishes.

Take Care,

Buzz

My girl is a keeper, so my VP9 will be as well.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-28-15, 15:07
Can't beat the Vp9 as a combat autoloader. I sold mine and deeply regret it.

WickedWillis
04-28-15, 16:57
I own Glocks, HK's and Sigs. I love them all. However, I do find myself gravitating towards Glocks more and more. I love my VP9, it is my favorite striker fired gun right now, and I have no desire to trade it or sell it, however unless I buy another VP9 I don't plan on buying any more HK's. I have what I want. Same with Sig, I have no desire to buy another Sig but I love the one I have. Glock on the other hand, there are currently 4 different models of Glocks that I want to buy. Tomorrow I am buying a Glock 43, and it is going to be my primary Summer carry gun. I have a hard time getting away from wanting to buy more Glocks!

Kain
04-28-15, 17:06
My thoughts are unless you really need the money or are trading up dont sell. I run glock primarily because i have the most training on them. Though may be cycling them out to something else here in the next year. That said i like training, shooting, and enjoy various platforms and models.

Spiffums
04-28-15, 17:07
I have guns I haven't shot in years just because I like them and it didn't cost anything to sit in the safe.

If you like your VP9, you can keep your VP9 to paraphase Obama LOL

dwhitehorne
04-28-15, 17:22
I got rid of my VP9 after about a month of shooting it. Basically because I really didn't want to invest in another pistol platform and sold if for $20 less than I paid. I will probably get another eventually if I find a good deal on one. Good luck with your choice. David

jpmuscle
04-28-15, 17:23
OP, which do you shoot better?

bltzkrg
04-28-15, 17:39
I don't mean to hijack, but it's related and may help the OP decide. Does anyone train hard with the VP9? We all say we like/love it but so many people are also saying they sold theirs. I understand not wanting to start over due to investment in the Glock platform, but are there other reasons why you sold it off?

Pilgrim
04-28-15, 17:46
I kept the VP9, and sold all the Glocks! I was with Glock since my original Gen 1 G17 back in... 1985?

Took a financial beating because of all the Glock paraphernalia I had, but I have way more accuracy and speed with the HK, so that's the way I went.

Firefly
04-28-15, 18:00
I probably should have given the VP9 more time. I really regret selling it off. I too thought I should have stayed wholly monogamous with the Glock but I was too impatient.

I would keep it and save up for a Glock. No reason not to do so.

jasonhgross
04-28-15, 18:13
I consolidated into glocks (9mm) and j frame revolvers, between the two platforms i can do anything I need to so. Everyone has to asses their own needs. From a pure self defense perspective, there is no need for anything else besides a glock 19 imho. Since consolidating, my shooting skill has gone up and now i am not distracted by a never ending search for other platforms. for me, simpler is better.

PatrioticDisorder
04-28-15, 19:14
OP, which do you shoot better?

Probably the Glock 19 & 26, I've only had the 43 out once and I shot it well but not as well as the other 2 Glocks (hoping the ghost connector I ordered changes that). I'll also add I own Gen4s and I put the G17 Gen3 trigger bar in them with minus connector and .25 cent trigger job. To me this makes the Glock trigger very PPQish and allows me to shoot a little better. VP9 had virtually no learning curve on it, only reason I would only shoot it occasionally for fun and have my girlfriend shooting it mostly is because the mag release is different, I don't want to screw up my muscle memory.

PatrioticDisorder
04-28-15, 19:18
I probably should have given the VP9 more time. I really regret selling it off. I too thought I should have stayed wholly monogamous with the Glock but I was too impatient.

I would keep it and save up for a Glock. No reason not to do so.

I'm going to keep it, it seems everyone who sold the VP9 regrets it and sub consciously even though I don't need it, I know I will regret it. I'm going to buy a 17 & 21 (Gen4s) and that will pretty much be it for me, except for mega tons of ammo, spare parts & duplicate models.

Guinnessman
04-28-15, 19:28
Your VP9 and future Glocks can coexist together in the future. For carry purposes it is hard to beat a G19, but as far as performance goes, the VP9 makes me look good. ;)

The VP9 can be used for nightstand duty while the G19 is used for carry. Or just make the VP9 a play toy. Either way, keep the VP9 and enjoy it!

w3453l
04-28-15, 20:13
I know you stated already that you're going to keep it, but just to reinforce your decision.

VP9 is nothing fancy; I'm not implying it's a bad gun, I have one and love it. I switched from Glock in fact. What I mean is that it's not some high end 1911 or revolver that you can potentially have a couple 1000 dollars towards "necessities".

If you sell the VP9 now, being used especially, how much are you going to get for it? $500 if you're patient? Just save a little longer. I find it harder to add a play gun, than to just hold on to one you already have.

MSparks909
04-28-15, 21:02
I don't mean to hijack, but it's related and may help the OP decide. Does anyone train hard with the VP9? We all say we like/love it but so many people are also saying they sold theirs. I understand not wanting to start over due to investment in the Glock platform, but are there other reasons why you sold it off?

I put 950 rounds through one of my VP9s last weekend at a Kyle Defoor class. Ended up shooting my "carry" VP9 because the sights I installed on my "training" VP9 the night before the class were not zeroed...very evident on the first drill we shot. I was the only person in the class not shooting a Glock. My "carry" VP9 passed 3,000 rounds this past weekend, with no malfunctions. That same gun also passed the 2,000 round challenge from he beginning of March - beginning of April with no issues.

They are solid guns and are very shootable. With that said, I still have my Glocks and will rotate guns every couple of months or when I get bored shooting one particular gun all the time. I'll probably be putting some rounds through my Glocks for the next 2 or so months just to mix things up. I have 4,500 rounds combined through my 2 VP9s and they are currently my favorite polymer gun on the market.

Bolt_Overide
04-29-15, 01:06
get rid of the glocks, buy another vp9, get trijicon HDs on both, and dump the left over money into spare mags and ammo.

Eurodriver
04-29-15, 06:16
Get rid of the VP9. Buy more Glocks. Put Trijicon HDs on them all, and dump the left over money into spare mags and ammo.

jasonhgross
04-29-15, 07:46
I dont regret selling any of the guns I had when I downsized. Including but not limited to:

Pre lock 686
H&K P7
Sig 225
Sig 239
Colt 1911

sasage
04-29-15, 08:46
I sold my VP9 and bought a G19 Gen 4.

No regrets. I like having interchangeable parts and a platform the local PD carries.

PatrioticDisorder
04-29-15, 09:55
Get rid of the VP9. Buy more Glocks. Put Trijicon HDs on them all, and dump the left over money into spare mags and ammo.

Triji HDs in Orange are a given, only pistol sights to have IMO. I'm also a mag whore so if I have under 20 mags per pistol I feel lacking, 30 feels about right and more isn't a problem. I also buy Federal HST 147gr every chance I can at semi reasonable prices. ;)

JaegerOne
04-29-15, 10:33

Your soul-less M&Ps? Like your Glocks have a soul huh? Funny.

PatrioticDisorder
04-29-15, 10:38

Both lack soul, I could have just stuck with the M&Ps, they've always served me well (no M&P bashing). I wanted to consolidate & simplify and Glocks are still a little easier to do that with (and there is no G19 equivalent, which is still the king IMO).

jpmuscle
04-29-15, 10:58
Both lack soul, I could have just stuck with the M&Ps, they've always served me well (no M&P bashing). I wanted to consolidate & simplify and Glocks are still a little easier to do that with (and there is no G19 equivalent, which is still the king IMO).
HK p2000. Boom.

PatrioticDisorder
04-29-15, 11:01
HK p2000. Boom.

its not striker fired.

brickboy240
04-29-15, 12:10
Yeah....I agree...there still is no "G19 equivalent" out there.

If the VP-9 had come out in the same size as the G19 instead of the G17...it might get more love.

1911-A1
04-29-15, 18:02
Yeah....I agree...there still is no "G19 equivalent" out there.

If the VP-9 had come out in the same size as the G19 instead of the G17...it might get more love.

I'm sure there will be a VP9c. HK knows it would get more love, so they get you to buy the full size it first, knowing you'll jump on the compact when it hits the market.

Glock used the same reasoning when they released the G42 before the G43 that everyone wanted. That way they can sell you two guns.

Rushing
04-29-15, 18:54
dump the left over money into spare mags and ammo.

Whenever mags are available.

I recently bought a VP9 last weekend and was hoping some stores or online stores had some, but they are all gone for now.
I just want two more mags.

jpmuscle
04-29-15, 22:23
its not striker fired.
Bah..

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-29-15, 22:26
Bah..

Concur

RND
04-30-15, 18:30
GLOCK (19s)- maybe a VICKERS TACTICAL for a GEN3, GEN4 for primary trainer- include some +p and +p+, a gen2 for nostalgia, and a P90 (just because).

note2self
04-30-15, 20:22
Sounds like you want to keep the VP9 "just because". Nothing wrong with that. As many advantages as having a bunch of one brand is, it doesn't mean you can't still have toys that you want to shoot for fun. Glocks are great firearms and I have a few myself, but I love my 57 and plan to add a FNX Tactical and maybe a VP9 as well. The reason? Just because I think they are cool and I want to shoot them. They aren't my primary defense weapons and I don't have a ton invested in them (aka mags, random parts, holsters, etc). But I still refuse to limit myself to one brand

slappy
04-30-15, 20:51
At the end of the day if you shoot a gun well and it's reliable enough for you, what's the harm in keeping it?

If I shot Glock's well I'd own them. M&P's and HK's suit me better I suppose. To each their own.

Abraxas
04-30-15, 21:25
I vote keep it. I use Glocks professionally, but I love my VP9.

LoveAR
04-30-15, 21:40
I am all Glock except for one 1911 keeper. I would like to have a VP9 but will wait for a VP9c.

MountainRaven
04-30-15, 23:54

My Glock has a soul.

But my Glock also cost about $2500 more than most of its contemporaries.

And it keeps insisting on pronouncing California as, "Cal-ee-for-nee-ah."

mizer67
05-01-15, 07:15
I have a few VP9's I shot for a while, before going back to my Glocks again.

I pick them up every once in a while for something different and I'm reminded of how easy they are to shoot well cold. Also, they're a little more comfortable to carry than my G17 with the Gen4 texturing.

While I don't see them ever replacing my Glocks now, although they did for a while in the new gun honeymoon phase, I don't see any reason to get rid of them. They work 100% and are very accurate.

YVK
05-01-15, 08:14
I would like to have a VP9 but will wait for a VP9c.

I'd set the money for a VP9c aside right now and invest it. By the time it came out, you'd get so much return on investment, the gun will be practically free for you.

Phillygunguy
05-01-15, 11:43
I d keep the VP9 and get another.
I have 4 glocks and only One that doesn't give me BTF and that's after 2 apex extractors I'll be selling my 3 others

PatrioticDisorder
05-01-15, 11:47
I have a few VP9's I shot for a while, before going back to my Glocks again.

I pick them up every once in a while for something different and I'm reminded of how easy they are to shoot well cold. Also, they're a little more comfortable to carry than my G17 with the Gen4 texturing.

While I don't see them ever replacing my Glocks now, although they did for a while in the new gun honeymoon phase, I don't see any reason to get rid of them. They work 100% and are very accurate.

In my limited personal experience, older glocks didn't throw BTF, newer ones do but with weak ammo only, mainly blazer brass. Even federal 115gr only does it rarely on my 26, 43 hasn't thrown any back at me and the 19 didn't with stronger ammo but I did put an apex in it and with weak ammo it will still do it but less often. If it were with defensive ammo it would be an dealbreaker for me, but it's simply a minor inconvenience.

Fuzzy-Reticle
06-01-15, 21:43
I sold a gen 4 Glock 23 to fund a VP9. Very happy I did. Fit my hand better and has a great trigger. Accurate and reliable. What is not to like about the VP9? I still own and shoot/carry Glocks I just like the HK.

FishTaco
06-02-15, 21:01
I know that if motorcycles were cheap enough to enjoy a stable full of them- savoring differing handling and performance characteristics and really learning to ride different machines- most motorcyclists would have garages full.

Wondering why many firearms enthusiasts seem so intent on minimizing gun collections in favor of one brand in the name of practicality, almost as if the felt like they needed to do it, or simply had to. We're already spending thousands beyond what would strictly be 'necessary' for self defense.

DacoRoman
06-02-15, 21:11
I shot a VP9 a friend had in his possession back to back with my Gen 3 G17 with 3.5lb connector, Wilson SS barrel, and DIY polish trigger job. I shot the G17 more accurately (yes I know the barrel wasn't stock), found the G17 trigger much nicer, and found the G17 more familiar and comfortable in the hand but I've been shooting Glocks for a long time. I'm also admittedly not crazy about the HK mag release system as I have to use my index finger which I'd rather keep straight on the frame. Unfortunately it was at an indoor range and I couldn't go on the timer with them. So I had a bit of a "very cool gun but…meh" reaction to the VP9.

My 2 cents is that if you are invested into the Glock system (which as a system is pretty hard to beat when one considers ease of maintenance, parts, mags, holsters, etc.) I would keep the VP9 as a fun gun. If you end up shooting the VP9 significantly faster and more accurately on timed drills, you manipulate the controls better etc., then you can consider standardizing on the VP9. If not, then it will be a waste of money, time and effort to change platforms.

Remember that the timer and target don't lie, despite what the more comfy grip fools you into thinking prior to truly testing things out with timed speed and accuracy drills.

CMW
06-02-15, 22:38
I was in the same boat as OP, and just made the decision to sell my VP9. It's a great gun, and I have nothing bad to say about it, but it just wasn't quite enough to make the switch from Glock, factoring in magazine prices, parts availability, etc. Probably replacing it with a G17 TB, shot one that had some mild grip work the other day, and really dug it, was surprised at how much I liked the suppressor height sights.

WickedWillis
06-03-15, 12:18
I know that if motorcycles were cheap enough to enjoy a stable full of them- savoring differing handling and performance characteristics and really learning to ride different machines- most motorcyclists would have garages full.

Wondering why many firearms enthusiasts seem so intent on minimizing gun collections in favor of one brand in the name of practicality, almost as if the felt like they needed to do it, or simply had to. We're already spending thousands beyond what would strictly be 'necessary' for self defense.

I have been thinning my "herd" of handguns recently, and just narrowing it down to HK's and Glocks. They both just work for me, even though I realize there are tons of great handguns and manufacturers out there. I traded a Sig P226 for a brand new Daniel Defense M4V7 the other day, and I feel that was a step in the right direction.

Eurodriver
06-03-15, 14:29

Who's "we"? And who's idea of "necessary" are you using? Do you live in a neighborhood that is 90% black that is only 19 years removed from a pretty bad race riot?

You're comparing apples to asteroids. First, I'm not entirely sure that I agree with your comparison of motorcycles (and I am a biker). A dirt bike, a crotch rocket and a Gold Wing would be all the motorcycles I'd own if given the funds. An Aprilia RSV4 has performance characteristics that far outweigh anything Kawi or Yamaha offers. There would be no need for an R1 if you had an RSV4 in the stable. A G19 does everything a VP9 does - what is the point of buying a VP9?

Second, the opposite can be said just as easily. Riding a motorcycle competently enough to avoid the 90% thug population without insurance that are DWSL requires training and an intimate knowledge of your bike. The RSV4 is much heavier and more awkward in street traffic than a CBR600. If you're used to using a CBR600 that you can flick around and you are on the RSV4 when someone pulls out in front of you on their way to the corner store you may die. Similarly, if you have been training with Glocks and decide to carry a cocked and locked 1911, you may end up getting shot while you squeeze the trigger of your locked 1911 wondering "What the hell is going on?"

We all have different training experiences, and mine make me weary of anything that is "different".

sac
06-03-15, 14:59
I sold a gen 4 Glock 23 to fund a VP9. Very happy I did. Fit my hand better and has a great trigger. Accurate and reliable. What is not to like about the VP9? I still own and shoot/carry Glocks I just like the HK.

I already had one, wife wanted one bad I traded in a Gen4 34 for hers this weakend.

Fuzzy-Reticle
06-03-15, 15:21
Always been an HK fanboy. So I Traded this plus $100 at a LGS
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/Glock%20Gen4%20Model%2023/IMG_3658_zpsf0zcdbf7.jpg
For this plus an extra 3rd magazine.
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll190/fuzzyreticle/HK%20VP9/20150603_125041_zpse6aidgp8.jpg

ruchik
06-03-15, 16:28
I say keep the VP9. No one said you can't have a couple guns that are purely for personal satisfaction. Nutnfancy is disliked by many here, but he's got it right when he says there's two kinds of cool. The kind that is cool because it works and works well (like a Glock), and the second kind of cool which is it just turns you on (like a Colt Python).

FishTaco
06-03-15, 18:28
Who's "we"? And who's idea of "necessary" are you using? Do you live in a neighborhood that is 90% black that is only 19 years removed from a pretty bad race riot?

You're comparing apples to asteroids. First, I'm not entirely sure that I agree with your comparison of motorcycles (and I am a biker). A dirt bike, a crotch rocket and a Gold Wing would be all the motorcycles I'd own if given the funds. An Aprilia RSV4 has performance characteristics that far outweigh anything Kawi or Yamaha offers. There would be no need for an R1 if you had an RSV4 in the stable. A G19 does everything a VP9 does - what is the point of buying a VP9?

Second, the opposite can be said just as easily. Riding a motorcycle competently enough to avoid the 90% thug population without insurance that are DWSL requires training and an intimate knowledge of your bike. The RSV4 is much heavier and more awkward in street traffic than a CBR600. If you're used to using a CBR600 that you can flick around and you are on the RSV4 when someone pulls out in front of you on their way to the corner store you may die. Similarly, if you have been training with Glocks and decide to carry a cocked and locked 1911, you may end up getting shot while you squeeze the trigger of your locked 1911 wondering "What the hell is going on?"

We all have different training experiences, and mine make me weary of anything that is "different".

I spend most of my time shooting at paper and objects that aren't threatening me, so the only real priority is safety and having fun. Your points about training are well taken, but I never suggested taking anything less than your most reliable, best fitted, most heavily trained on weapon out to CCW (which I also don't do, for various reasons).

What I'm talking about is the experience. I suppose your idea of being more likely to die on a different motorcycle is somewhat valid, statistically. When I'm on an unfamiliar bike, I try to take that into account and vary speed and commitment levels accordingly. That said, how is this even relevant? The burden of safety is on me, I'll take it into account and live with the chances in a dangerous sport to begin with. While doing it, I'll get to try a different flavor and know more about a great sport than before.

I'm not buying into the idea that varying from your platform or training by owning and shooting something outside of ones personal doctrine is anything outside of an infinitesimal blip on the statistical radar, at least as far as firearms go. In cycling, which is far more dangerous, you probably have more of a point.

PatrioticDisorder
06-03-15, 18:47
I left it for dead but I did decide to keep the VP9 and I'm doing so for purely emotional reasons, it won't be shot too much by me (girlfriend will be shooting it mostly). No reason to bicker over nonsense fellas! :)

Bader51
06-03-15, 21:00

Glock/HK argument aside, have you put any seat time on a Yamaha R1 that's been made in the past two years? I've owned two RSV's. The last year it was a Rotax twin and a 2013 RSV4 Factory. Both were bikes I'm still very fond of. But after track days on a '15 R1, the Aprilia's felt sub-par. Yamaha was much more planted during cornering and wasn't nearly as twitchy as the RSV4 could be at times. And as far as the CBR600 being lighter and more maneuverable- those are both incorrect. Especially considering that any top tier liter bike is going to have Brembo's or an equivalent vs a lower end 600 class bike.

jpmuscle
06-03-15, 21:13
I'd still prefer to have my zx12-R. Just saying..

A62Rambler
06-03-15, 21:23
I left it for dead but I did decide to keep the VP9 and I'm doing so for purely emotional reasons, it won't be shot too much by me (girlfriend will be shooting it mostly). No reason to bicker over nonsense fellas! :)

This is the second time the OP has stated he's keeping it for his lady and because he wants to.

Yamaha, Rotax? Unless yamaha is making pistols and rotax is a new revolver(which would still be the wrong forum) might I suggest you take this argument to PMs. I'm nobody but this is M4Carbine and those kind of off topic arguments wouldn't have flown 7 years ago when I started here. I still try to keep my yaking to a minimum and my reading to a maximum. Now I'll shut up and follow my own advice.

teksid
06-03-15, 21:30
I just traded my VP9 to a NIB Gen4 19. I already had a Gen2 and 3 G19 and some Gen 4s. I didn't like the size of the VP9 for carrying. I thought it would be closer in size to a g19 and I already have too many range guns already. I also like a dead hold or at least a six o clock hold. With the HK I shot too low. Other than that it was a great pistol. I put 500 rounds through it without issue.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/03/a32234482b90adedceaf0530ec25edf2.jpg

I broke the 19 in in the rain.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/03/8c9cab1af3efe612d07eac2609185bd6.jpg