PDA

View Full Version : Was just given a Remington Zouave Model 1863 Percussion Rifle as a gift - what now?

Eurodriver
04-28-15, 12:37
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_2485_zpsarasx3mh.jpg

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_2486_zpslune5bun.jpg

As you can see, the stock is cracked about 3/4 of the way through on the crossbolt. The metal isn't rusted and the pieces are all present except the bayonet.

What kind of gun shop would repair the stock on this? I feel like just picking it up is going to cause the stock to crack in half. Normally I am against altering historical rifles, but this will eventually be sitting in two pieces.

What would the approximate value of this be?

Is it safe to shoot? How would I go about doing so?

Crow Hunter
04-28-15, 13:00
I have no advice.

I just wanted to say "COOL!":ph34r:

ETA:

Any history/provenance to go with it? I find that info to be as interesting as the weapons themselves at times.

SteyrAUG
04-28-15, 15:00
Definitely NOT safe to shoot, I don't think it ever will be unless you have an replacement stock custom made for the rifle, and it won't just "drop in" like you are used to.

The big problem you will have is finding an actual gunsmith. Most people who call themselves a gunsmith can install free floating hand guards but have zero talent when it comes to restoring antiques and the vast majority do far more harm than good despite assurances of "Oh yeah...we can do that....NO PROBLEM."

And once it's ruined by a gunsmith, it's professionally ruined. The cost of the work will probably be three times what the gun is worth and even then it probably won't be safe to shoot, it will simply be repaired as much as the original stock can be repaired.

At that point, it's a very expensive display rifle. I wish I could say I had a cheap "bubba fix" that would allow it to become a sturdy wall hanger now without destroying what collector value remains but I don't.

Your problem is that it is cracked in the absolute worst possible place. This is where that rifle needs to be the strongest and that is why it cracked exactly there. You actually have more than a few failures going on looking at the photos.

RCI1911
04-28-15, 15:12
Is it cracked all the way through on the other side? If not I'd leave it for now. If it is then you could probably find someone to pin it and epoxy it. Not sure what the going rate is now and there probably aren't too many people capable or willing anymore.

scottryan
04-28-15, 16:07
This is what I would do and I have been collecting this stuff for a significant time and dealing with things like this.

I would keep it the way it is now. I would look for another rifle on the Internet in worse metal condition (rusty) but with an intact stock.

I would buy this second rifle and take the stock from it to restore yours.

This would keep the collector value the most and your would end up with a factory correct gun.

While I am at it, I would also take the lock parts from the second rifle as spares.

Take the cracked stock and the rusty second barrel and then shitcan these leftover parts on gunbroker.

This might take a few years to locate the exact same rifle, but it will be worth it in the end.

This way you have total control over the process and not have to deal with a retarded gunsmith

SteyrAUG
04-28-15, 17:50
This is what I would do and I have been collecting this stuff for a significant time and dealing with things like this.

I would keep it the way it is now. I would look for another rifle on the Internet in worse metal condition (rusty) but with an intact stock.

I would buy this second rifle and take the stock from it to restore yours.

This would keep the collector value the most and your would end up with a factory correct gun.

While I am at it, I would also take the lock parts from the second rifle as spares.

Take the cracked stock and the rusty second barrel and then shitcan these leftover parts on gunbroker.

This might take a few years to locate the exact same rifle, but it will be worth it in the end.

This way you have total control over the process and not have to deal with a retarded gunsmith

This is actually good advice. The only thing I would do different is take the old stock and crap barrel and make a wall hanger out of them.

FlyingHunter
04-28-15, 17:57
I'd write a grateful thank you note, handwritten of course, perhaps with a bottle of better than average "brown water" as a thank you for the thoughtful gift.

Eurodriver
04-29-15, 07:41
Google has yielded precisely zero correct period stocks. It seems there are quite a few modern repros being made of this rifle, but very few legitimate 150 year old rifles exist and the ones that do are all restored in good condition.

Should I just keep checking for stocks once a month forever? I did contact http://www.lodgewood.com/ at the advice of some on gunboards.com, but now I am concerned I may end up with a professional mess instead of a historical mess.

scottryan
04-29-15, 12:45
Google has yielded precisely zero correct period stocks. It seems there are quite a few modern repros being made of this rifle, but very few legitimate 150 year old rifles exist and the ones that do are all restored in good condition.

Should I just keep checking for stocks once a month forever? I did contact http://www.lodgewood.com/ at the advice of some on gunboards.com, but now I am concerned I may end up with a professional mess instead of a historical mess.

There are 10 of these guns on gunbroker right now. Two of them have original finish on the wood and metal.

Dealing with any gunsmith or an aftermarket stock is wasting your time.