PDA

View Full Version : Advice for building a bench in uneven basement

black22rifle
04-28-15, 19:26
I am in the planning stage of building a work bench in my basement, but the only problem I have is that the floor is uneven. The entire basement floor has a slope going down towards the center and I am unsure how to tackle this problem. The bench will be located against the wall with a working area of 30"x72" and be entirely made up of six 4x4s as posts, 2x6s for framing, a double layer or 3/4" MDF or Plywood on top, and lag bolts for the 4x4s. So far my only idea is to use a miter saw to angle the bottom of the posts to get them as level and as flat aspossible, recess the lag bolts facing the wall, then bolt the framing to the wall with concrete anchors. Even if the posts are not perfectly straight I can always make sure the framing for the top is.

I have also considered using brackets to bolt the posts to the floor, do the make any that allow you to level them?

How about using some self leveling concrete to make platforms for the posts? To be as sturdy as possible I will have to make a holes for them in the floor correct?

My guess is the slant is maybe 5-10 degrees just by looking but I am not sure.

Any ideas?

Ryno12
04-28-15, 19:39
You could mount/anchor the back of the bench directly to the wall then cut the front legs to the appropriate height to make the bench level.

wahoo95
04-28-15, 19:46
You could mount/anchor the back of the bench directly to the wall then cut the front legs to the appropriate height to make the bench level.
That's how mine is done in my garage

anachronism
04-28-15, 20:06
If you don't want to attach it to the wall simply shim it until it's level. Then make permanent shims after you know exactly what you need.

stinkyDrunk
04-28-15, 20:30
If you don't want to attach it to the wall simply shim it until it's level. Then make permanent shims after you know exactly what you need.

This is an easy way to do it.

If you want it to look as clean as possible, shim the bench level, then use scribers to mark the contour of the floor on the legs of the bench, then flip it and cut/sand to the lines.

Vid on how to scribe:

https://youtu.be/r-P8bEVx2yc

texasgunhand
04-28-15, 20:50
Cut then sand the legs to size,but iam sorry,lol, beer coasters make great shims,and it gives you a reason to go have a beer and jack some coasters to take home. Most bars dont care about the paper coasters the beer companys give them. If its a place you go they will probably give them to you if you ask.

Kain
04-28-15, 20:59
Had a similar issue with my work area in my basement. Shimmed it and carried on without worry or issue.

rcoodyar15
04-28-15, 21:07
This is an easy way to do it.

If you want it to look as clean as possible, shim the bench level, then use scribers to mark the contour of the floor on the legs of the bench, then flip it and cut/sand to the lines.

Vid on how to scribe:

https://youtu.be/r-P8bEVx2yc

He is exactly right. If it were me I would decide the height of the bench and the intermediate framing for the legs. Take a 4' level and some 3" lags and fasten the 2X6's to the wall. Then take 2 1/2" deck screws and put the other 3 sides of the frame together. Use temporary 2X4 legs, make sure you don't put them in the corners where the 4x4's go and attach the 3 sided framing to the 2X6's on the wall. You should be able to measure your temporary legs and get them pretty close but this is the time to use the 4' level to make sure your framing is level especially the top. Once you have it fastened off all you need to do is temporarily secure the 4x4's where they go and then take a piece of plywood or a piece of 2X4 lay it on the floor along the slope and put a line on both of the sloped sides. that is your angle. Now you have to cut the 4X4 along that line. Realize a skilsaw won't cut all the way through a 4X4. You have to cut from both sides. That is when you will see just how skilled you are. Do the 2 cuts line up? From there all you have to do is put the 4X4's in the corners and secured them with the decking screws. Cut the tops of the 4x4's off flush with the framing and install your top. Done and secure. If you make a shelf on the intermediate framing it will stiffen it up all the more.

bigedp51
04-28-15, 21:22
When it comes to powder scale readings you can adjust your scales left and right, BUT you can not adjust for fore and aft level. Meaning the critical level of your reloading bench is from front to rear and not left to right.

Meaning the knife blades of your powder scales can rub on the front and rear of the pivot area and throw off your readings, so front to rear level is the most important for accurate readings.

And as long as your beer doesn’t slide left or right and off the reloading bench your good to go.

Trust me I would NEVER put the worlds best beer in jeopardy.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/yingyang_zps26e31994.jpg

Kain
04-28-15, 21:24
When it comes to powder scale readings you can adjust your scales left and right, BUT you can not adjust for fore and aft level. Meaning the critical level of your reloading bench is from front to rear and not left to right.

Meaning the knife blades of your powder scales can rub on the front and rear of the pivot area and throw off your readings, so front to rear level is the most important for accurate readings.

And as long as your beer doesn’t slide left or right and off the reloading bench your good to go.

Trust me I would NEVER put the worlds best beer in jeopardy.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/yingyang_zps26e31994.jpg

You're missing a bottle of the Bock. Now that is a good beer.

black22rifle
04-28-15, 21:42
I just bought a really neat tool called a pivot square and at angle where the posts will be going is 82 degrees. It should be pretty easy using the miter saw, but as far as the lag screws go have any of you tried the Spax lag screws that don't require pre drilling?

LoboTBL
04-29-15, 00:55
He is exactly right. If it were me I would decide the height of the bench and the intermediate framing for the legs. Take a 4' level and some 3" lags and fasten the 2X6's to the wall. Then take 2 1/2" deck screws and put the other 3 sides of the frame together. Use temporary 2X4 legs, make sure you don't put them in the corners where the 4x4's go and attach the 3 sided framing to the 2X6's on the wall. You should be able to measure your temporary legs and get them pretty close but this is the time to use the 4' level to make sure your framing is level especially the top. Once you have it fastened off all you need to do is temporarily secure the 4x4's where they go and then take a piece of plywood or a piece of 2X4 lay it on the floor along the slope and put a line on both of the sloped sides. that is your angle. Now you have to cut the 4X4 along that line. Realize a skilsaw won't cut all the way through a 4X4. You have to cut from both sides. That is when you will see just how skilled you are. Do the 2 cuts line up? From there all you have to do is put the 4X4's in the corners and secured them with the decking screws. Cut the tops of the 4x4's off flush with the framing and install your top. Done and secure. If you make a shelf on the intermediate framing it will stiffen it up all the more.

This. Clear and concise and will be rock solid. The only suggestion I would add is to use MDF instead of plywood and to use two layers of it glued and screwed together. I did that and then added some inexpensive laminate flooring on top of the MDF to protect it from moisture when I set down a can or bottle of whatever I'm drinking.

BobinNC
04-29-15, 03:18
Some great advice above. You could also use these:

http://www.richelieu.com/us/en/category/furniture-hardware/legs-levelers-casters-floor-protection/levelers-and-glides/levelers/extra-heavy-duty-floor-leveler/1165586/sku-NCM1075

sourdough44
04-29-15, 03:39
Nice beer you have there!

That's how I build my bench, 4"x4" posts then framed with 2"x4"s. I used 2" thick planks for the top, thinner shelving below. It's Rock solid. I don't have the slope issues. Hopefully you are fairly dry down there. The mention of slope sounds like it may be older?

jpmuscle
04-29-15, 04:39
You're missing a bottle of the Bock. Now that is a good beer.
Hells yes. Amber bock is delicious.

texasgunhand
04-30-15, 20:46
That also is were those beer coasters come in handy..lol

black22rifle
04-30-15, 21:02
Some great advice above. You could also use these:

http://www.richelieu.com/us/en/category/furniture-hardware/legs-levelers-casters-floor-protection/levelers-and-glides/levelers/extra-heavy-duty-floor-leveler/1165586/sku-NCM1075

interesting... I will look into those.

yes my house is pretty old, although I don't know how old exactly.

NickySantoro
05-01-15, 07:26
Had a similar issue with my work area in my basement. Shimmed it and carried on without worry or issue.

This^. Built a work bench for my son-in-law and just shimmed it until level.

Waylander
05-01-15, 14:32
You could bolt triangular braces to the wall to mount your top on. They're easy to make since you have a miter saw.
Then you don't have posts to worry about and it's a little easier to walk around your bench.

hubcap52
08-10-18, 20:13
Make leveling feet with large bolts and jam nuts in the legs. That way you can adjust for changes in the floor (settling) or bench (warpage).