PDA

View Full Version : What do you recommend?

Mr.Anderson
04-30-15, 04:18
hi guys

I'm selling some RIA .45's to fund a LE6920 and I need to replace my CC model.

It doesnt have to be a compact pistol. Im accustomed to carrying a full size concealed.

I was looking at maybe a new Glock from Grant or a SW M&P.

I'm looking at $500-600 price range. I'd prefer 9mm though I'm open to .45 if need be.

So what do you guys recommend?

Pilot1
04-30-15, 04:47
CZ-75D PCR, or P-01 if you want a rail. Compact but large enough to double as a range, and home defense gun. Lightweight, alloy frame, and 14 + 1 capacity. I have carried, and shot a PCR for fifteen years. If you must have polymer, the P-07 is a great choice.

Hmac
04-30-15, 04:59
I had an M&P 9 and a Glock 19. Was always pretty "meh" about the M&P, disliked the Glock...both mainly for ergonomics and for trigger. I put a DCAEK in the Smith, and helped. Nothing I could do for the Glock would make it a pistol I enjoyed shooting.

Bought a Walther PPQ while I was waiting for the Glock to get fixed. It's fantastic. I didn't think anyone would ever top it, but then HK brought out the VP9. It's dead even with the PPQ. Pre-cocked striker makes for an exceptional trigger. Ergonomics are superb. You don't feel like you're gripping a 2x4. For concealed carry, I use a Walther PPS. Shoots like a full size.

I don't see any of those three for under $600. Close, but rarely under. If your budget is fixed...you could always get a (yawn) Glock.

MegademiC
04-30-15, 08:05
G19
M&p9
Vp9
Ppq
CZ sp01 sao.

In that order... for me. Assuming an accurate, reliable pistol is verified, support is the next biggest factor.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-30-15, 08:15
Vp9 will be all around best for a "clean sheet" purchase where you aren't all ready knee deep in mags. It will work correctly out of the box with class leading ergonomics. The least risky choice and it has excellent sight and holster availability.

PPQ see above

Beretta 92 totally reliable out of the box. No need for magic aftermarket extractors and other crap. Kind of a pig though, but a bet your ass reliable gun.

FN fnx/fns this gun is probably as good as the above but there isn't as much support. (Although you can get HD sights and all quality holster markers support it). To me this is what Glock used to be, cheap, reliable and ugly. A tool gun.

Psalms144.1
04-30-15, 08:16
Gen4 G19
Gen4 G17
Sig P320C
HK VP9
S&W M&P
S&W M&Pc
CZ P07

In that order

If you can't find any of those under $600, you need to look harder and wider, or join GSSF, get a certificate, and get a new Glock for about $425...

BluegrassGunGuy
04-30-15, 08:21
I just got an m&p 9c for a summer gun, put in a apex flat trigger and it's amazing. S&W has a deal for 3 free mags when you purchase a new M&P right now, hard to beat it.

26 Inf
04-30-15, 08:26
Will you be using it for anything but CC and training for proficiency in CC?

For concealed carry I'm more concerned with grip length than slide length. I prefer the longer sight radius, but for the average guy using only for CC that may not be an issue.

In your shoes, I would go with a G17 as a starting point, that way I could go to a 19 length grip if I felt the need.

I grew up shooting DA revolvers and 1911's, I transitioned to the DA/SA autos in the early 80's when most LE started the move. Because of that I've never had any trouble with a DA/SA auto. That being said, coming from a 1911 platform to the DA/SA may not be as seamless as you'd like, that would be my only concern with the CZ75D - trigger manipulation and decocking - I prefer slide mounted decockers, because that is what I learned on. YMMV

brickboy240
04-30-15, 09:34
The default go to gun has got to be the Glock 19.

Accessories are everywhere, sight choices are best, holster choices are best and it is easy to find mags for.

The other mentioned choices are good but the options are best for the G19 as well as mag price and availability.

ralph
04-30-15, 09:36
While you're considering a pistol purchase from Grant, check out his price for a Colt lightweight AR.. Probably the best deal of the year.. Anyway back to topic. Right now you are blessed with alot of excellent, solid choices, I'd look at any of the following

HKVP9
CZ P-07/09
Gen4 Glock 19/17
Beretta 92 (I've got a a Vertec, myself) Although Grant has a killer price on a plain-jane Mod92.. Mags are easy to find, reasonably priced and there seems to be plenty of them.
Sig P-320 No experience with these personally, but from what I've read both here and elsewhere, they seem to work and work well.

Mr.Anderson
04-30-15, 09:44
Thank you all.

Im glad to see I wasnt really off base with my ideas on what to purchase.

Regarding the DA/SA trigger, I read a thread today where Grant had addressed that issue to the OP (on page 5 I think).
I do and have always liked a hammer and DA triggers. But, I lack an adequate amount of training so its likely the trigger issue will be a non issue but point well taken.

I may possibly go tonight and look at some used Glocks in LGS. If I wanted to go this route for about $325, what would I need to specifically look for in regards to wear/tear? Though, honestly, if I can get a new one at $425 by joining the previously mentioned club, I would not be interested in a used Glock to save $100

That M&P + 3 mags deal sounds really sweet though! Decisions decisions. But at least I now have a list of pistols to ponder and research.

Thanx again

Mr.Anderson
04-30-15, 09:47
Ralph, I was considering that 6470LW.

Honestly, Im trying to decide between the M&P AR for $550 and a better pistol or the 6470 for $800 and a lesser priced pistol.

I'm getting $1,400 for the RIA .45's
So thats where Im coming from. I really have to keep both under that because the wife would shoot me down quick if I even hinted at tapping the vacation $$$ lol

WillBrink
04-30-15, 09:57
hi guys

I'm selling some RIA .45's to fund a LE6920 and I need to replace my CC model.

It doesnt have to be a compact pistol. Im accustomed to carrying a full size concealed.

I was looking at maybe a new Glock from Grant or a SW M&P.

I'm looking at $500-600 price range. I'd prefer 9mm though I'm open to .45 if need be.

So what do you guys recommend?

Would seem to me, of those two being of quality vetted designs, personal preference is what matters. I'd go with the M&P personally having never been a Glock fan.

ralph
04-30-15, 10:35
Ralph, I was considering that 6470LW.

Honestly, Im trying to decide between the M&P AR for $550 and a better pistol or the 6470 for $800 and a lesser priced pistol.

I'm getting $1,400 for the RIA .45's
So thats where Im coming from. I really have to keep both under that because the wife would shoot me down quick if I even hinted at tapping the vacation $$$ lol

6470? I was meaning the 6720, Grant has these for $799..Anyway, given your choices, I'd go with the rifle first, Considering the price of the rifle, shipping, FFL fees on your end, you should still have about $5-600 left from your $1400, That gets you into a Glock or M&P.. You know you could talk to Grant, and maybe come up with a deal to buy both, and still meet your budget. The worst that could happen is he'd say no...But you'll never know unless you ask...

Mr.Anderson
04-30-15, 10:55
I meant the 6720 LW haha. I've looked at so many today.

I'm going to shop a couple LGS in the morning. I wont have anything to CC except my wifes M&P bodyguard. While I like sliding it in my pocket to go to the mail box I dont relish the thought of it being my primary form of self defense fire arm!
So, I have to pick something up tomorrow morning so I dont feel naked or inadequate when we go to a dinner & movie tomorrow night.

I'll be printing out ya'lls rec's and taking them with me so I cant get hands on with them before making my decision.

richiecotite
04-30-15, 15:59
You can find new m&p's for $420 with free shipping all day. With the free mag deal, that's a new gun with 5 mags for less than 420 plus transfer. Hard to beat that.

Mr.Anderson
04-30-15, 18:11
You can find new m&p's for $420 with free shipping all day. With the free mag deal, that's a new gun with 5 mags for less than 420 plus transfer. Hard to beat that.

I agree. I was looking at them on Budsgunshop. Grant seems to be sold out...

Do you have a particular place you were quoting from?

FishTaco
04-30-15, 18:31
I think I'm going with a Sig SP2022 for my next 9. Very reliable and accurate, although a bit on the small side to be considered 'full sized'.

As far as value goes, I don't think it can be beaten.

richiecotite
04-30-15, 20:16

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/73345

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoryCop25
04-30-15, 20:38
I carry a Glock 19 all day everyday unless I'm at work.
My VP 9 is nice but I can't stand the factory sights. I'm waiting on Hilton to get some damn Tritium front sights in stock!
M&P 45 MID is a nice size for a 45 and they can be found cheap especially if you have a stock of 45 laying around from the 1911s.
I gave my PPQ to my kid but it's just as nice as the VP9 but I like the VP9 trigger better. She also got away with brand new 10-8 sights on it!.... c'mon Hilton!
I have nice Beretta 92s and Sig 228 but DA/SA is a thing of the past....

Mr.Anderson
04-30-15, 21:06
There is so much good advice in this thread so if I don't quote you or directly respond directly to you, I DID read all the replies.

I carry a Glock 19 all day everyday unless I'm at work.
My VP 9 is nice but I can't stand the factory sights. I'm waiting on Hilton to get some damn Tritium front sights in stock!
M&P 45 MID is a nice size for a 45 and they can be found cheap especially if you have a stock of 45 laying around from the 1911s.
I gave my PPQ to my kid but it's just as nice as the VP9 but I like the VP9 trigger better. She also got away with brand new 10-8 sights on it!.... c'mon Hilton!
I have nice Beretta 92s and Sig 228 but DA/SA is a thing of the past....

+

The default go to gun has got to be the Glock 19.

Accessories are everywhere, sight choices are best, holster choices are best and it is easy to find mags for.

The other mentioned choices are good but the options are best for the G19 as well as mag price and availability.

You know...that is the one thing that keeps me from buying a VP-9 or SIG 320.

The fact that I have so much into the Glock platform with 3 Glocks. Holsters, mags and accessories that fit all Glocks.

If I buy a VP-9 or P320....then I have to go and get another Raven Phamtom (at 100 bucks or so) and spare mags (SIG and HK mags are not cheap or as easy to find) and the whole "adding a new pistol type" issue becomes more of a pain in the ass.

The VP-9 and P320 are appealing...but I too am really on the fence with so much invested in the Glock platform and there is really nothing new that the VP-9 or P320 is going to do for me that the G19/17 and G22 do not already do.

Besides, there are tons more accessories and doo dads for Glocks than any other pistol types out there. It is just "easier" to own Glocks....period...and I don't see that changing dramatically any time soon...sorry.

...hard decision...I know! LOL
Last edited by brickboy240; 04-28-15 at 13:05.

And this is where I'm at. I keep coming back around to a Glock just for these reasons.

The M&P deal is appealing but I THINK (as of yet tonight) that I'd rather go Glock and just get a couple of extra mags.

Of course, with list in hand at a LGS tomorrow... who knows haha.

Cory:
What are you carrying at work now? I thought you guys were using Glock .40 cals?

I sold all of my .45 ammo (500 rounds ball ammo) with the guns for another $150
Not sure how much 9mm I have but I'll get more if I'm short.
So it looks like I'll be at Sarco and the Heritage Guild around noonish.

jck397
05-01-15, 01:00
In your price range, but in no particular order:

Glock 17/19
Walther PPQ
SIG P320
CZ P07/09
VP9
P2000

Pick what you shoot best, meets your needs, and has the support gear you need.

bowman57_2
05-01-15, 01:38
Cant beat the good ole G19

jck397
05-01-15, 01:49
Cant beat the good ole G19

When faced with the "What gun should I buy?" question, I usually respond that we can go with my gut answer, which is a Glock 19, or we can do a careful analysis of the shooters' needs, which usually leads to a Glock 19. If I could only have one gun, the G19 would probably be it. It's not perfect, but it does do a whole lot of things really well, and while in any one area there may be a better pistol, when you look at the overall score it's hard to beat.

firefighter37
05-01-15, 03:31
When faced with the "What gun should I buy?" question, I usually respond that we can go with my gut answer, which is a Glock 19, or we can do a careful analysis of the shooters' needs, which usually leads to a Glock 19. If I could only have one gun, the G19 would probably be it. It's not perfect, but it does do a whole lot of things really well, and while in any one area there may be a better pistol, when you look at the overall score it's hard to beat.

What was said here is 100% my feelings. 2 G19s, Trijicon HDs and about 25 mags, is a great start. Then stack the ammo high and deep.

firefighter37
05-01-15, 03:32
I think I'm going with a Sig SP2022 for my next 9. Very reliable and accurate, although a bit on the small side to be considered 'full sized'.

As far as value goes, I don't think it can be beaten.

Yes, it can be beaten. G19

Mr.Anderson
05-01-15, 06:51
What was said here is 100% my feelings. 2 G19s, Trijicon HDs and about 25 mags, is a great start. Then stack the ammo high and deep.

I'm actually thinking I might be better off just getting something like you have in your sig line. I remember those Lorcin .380's from back in the bootleggin days. I can only imagine how much more stronker the 9mm is!

But if I go HiPoint I'm totally getting it in .45! I mean, go big or go home right???

:D

firefighter37
05-01-15, 07:25
I'm actually thinking I might be better off just getting something like you have in your sig line. I remember those Lorcin .380's from back in the bootleggin days. I can only imagine how much more stronker the 9mm is!

But if I go HiPoint I'm totally getting it in .45! I mean, go big or go home right???

:D

Lorcin is the stuff!!! If every criminal had one we would be safe!

BuzzinSATX
05-01-15, 07:28
Well, a HiPoint .45 saved this guys butt...I'm betting mg he's now their biggest fanboy!

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2014/07/18/alaska-man-shoots-kills-aggressive-bear-hi-point-pistol/

Just sayin...

Take Care,

Buzz

bjxds
05-01-15, 08:04
PPQ or VP9 but 500-600 will be tough. Also, the triggers will spoil you.

Jpoe88
05-01-15, 09:10
Glock 19 is my vote if you want to spend the money. Fns isn't bad, M&P-9. I've been carrying an xd-9 for a few weeks and I can't complain of its performance either. Looking into a better holster though. Only reason I didn't go glock was bc to me, I liked the glock just as much as the xd but the glock was $150 more and I couldn't see spending the money when I already had steel sights and guide rod where I would have been putting more into the glock for those features. Doesn't mean I won't buy one. Just liked the xd that day. Will be stepping into a glock soon to add to the arsenal and rotation.

Not a debate guys just my preference. Figured I could play Devils advocate today. I trust the xd.

All options mentioned by other folks are good too. Don't count out the xd. At least hold one and manipulate it.

CoryCop25
05-01-15, 09:56
Cory:
What are you carrying at work now? I thought you guys were using Glock .40 cals?

Glock 22 .40S&W
I have no use for the .40S&W with the better bullet technology of the 9MM.

Mr.Anderson
05-01-15, 09:57
I did notice the XD was in my price range.

What is the general consensus on the XD?

I'm off. Should have the results of this thread in a couple of hours.

CoryCop25
05-01-15, 10:00
What is the general consensus on the XD?

NO NO and NO

Jpoe88
05-01-15, 10:06
NO NO and NO

There is any reason to not buy any gun. Although I googled Glock failure and the first time my phone froze I heard a sinister laugh and it shut off. Second time Google only showed the "feeling lucky" button so I said ah hell, I clicked it and literally the following text said "that shit doesn't happen" then there was a chuck Norris pic and you know the rest.

It's funny, all I hear is no on the xd but no one has yet to PM me why they feel that way..

CoryCop25
05-01-15, 10:10
It's funny, all I hear is no on the xd but no one has yet to PM me why they feel that way..

XDs are accurate guns but....
Parts are sub par
If the beavertail safety spring breaks, the whole gun is rendered inoperable.
Quality control is not good. Trigger is sloppy.
The XD is simply not a good choice for a save your life or others fighting gun.

Jpoe88
05-01-15, 10:20
XDs are accurate guns but....
Parts are sub par
If the beavertail safety spring breaks, the whole gun is rendered inoperable.
Quality control is not good. Trigger is sloppy.
The XD is simply not a good choice for a save your life or others fighting gun.

I will agree on the beaver tail, but the rest of the pistol seems well made. Most guns I handled at my LGS in the same price range had sub par triggers; to me anyways. I'm not a gun snob and I honestly don't shoot enough to know what a shitty trigger feels like. I do know that I don't care for S&W's design. Don't care for the beavertail myself but after enough handling I don't even realize it's there. Like I said there's always room for a Glock in rotation for me.

Watrdawg
05-01-15, 10:27
I carry either a G19 or the M&P45 Middy. I shoot both regularly. My M&P is the more accurate of the 2 guns and feels best in my hands. The G19 is just a bit smaller and easier to conceal for me. Over all though it's a toss up. Pro's and Con's to each and they negate each other.

Mr.Anderson
05-01-15, 13:34
Guys...

I got a Sig SP2022...

I dunno what happened... I went in to get a Glock - which were "on sale" for $520.

But I looked at the sig for $560 with a holster and a laser (that goes on the rail), picked it up, assumed the position... felt GOOD. A few trigger pulls later, I'm sold.
I'm a big fan of hammers on pistols and DA. I'm addicted.

Cory will tell ya (whose opinion on firearms I value pretty highly) I never was a Glock fan and always shot high with them, and, never liked the way they felt in my hand.
But I was going to take one for the team (family) and get one for the reliability alone.

So I know I went against some very good suggestions but I hope that I don't disappoint with my decision. If it's junk, there is a gun show next month. Maybe I will move it lol.
But, I don't think it's junk.

I got the SP2022 and a S&W AR15 sport for $1,125.00

Two things though;
1: It only came with the holster and the laser. NO extra mag.
2: The holster doesn't accomadate the laser o.O wt... but I was told this before buying but since it's just a get me by holster it'll be OK.

It is funny that when I opened up the forums the first thread I saw was fishtaco asking about the SP2022
In that thread there was another person that had one and posted a link for an IWB holster that looks like it may be GTG.

I'll post a pic or two if anyone is interested.

Jpoe88
05-01-15, 13:40
Good deal. At least you somewhat went against the grain! IM on for a few pics

Mr.Anderson
05-01-15, 13:58
I really like the long slide release and decocker.
Like I said, it fits my hands nicely. And, unlike the Glock but more so like a 1911, I have a more natural point of aim.

Jpoe88
05-01-15, 14:43
Never been a fan of bi-tone but I'd rock that! Going to look at one for myself

Mr.Anderson
05-01-15, 14:53
Same here. Actually always preferred subdued for the obvious reasons.

But if I have to use it I won't be in camo or in the woods anyways most likely haha.

And, alas, it does look better than the pics give credit for.

Jpoe88
05-01-15, 15:00
I felt the same about the xd vs glock. Don't get me wrong glocks have their place for sure but price wise, and feel the xd had me won over. Despite the bashings I've received. I do like the Sig though. Not sure if my LGS has that model or not but I'm sure they can lay hands on one of I want to look at it in the store.

C4IGrant
05-01-15, 15:28

We have them in stock.

C4

Mr.Anderson
05-01-15, 16:18
We have them in stock.

C4

Hi Grant

I'll have to catch you next time around.

Currently, your website is saying the full size M&P is out of stock.

26 Inf
05-01-15, 16:49
Good luck, thanks for letting us be a part of this purchase.

Even though I'm a lefty I get along well with Sig's.

I'll leave you with this....used gun's are like hot women, you know somewhere, someplace, there is a guy who is glad she's gone.

Shoot.

Mr.Anderson
05-01-15, 16:53
Good luck, thanks for letting us be a part of this purchase.

Even though I'm a lefty I get along well with Sig's.

I'll leave you with this....used gun's are like hot women, you know somewhere, someplace, there is a guy who is glad she's gone.

Shoot.

Thank you. This SIG has the mag release button that can be swapped to the right hand side for you lefties.

Totally agree with you about used. Used is the last resort for me.

Now... gotta enroll in that pistol class for Tactical Response.

global
05-01-15, 20:31
G17 for full size
G19 for compact
G26 or MP shield for sub compact.

26 Inf
05-01-15, 21:27
Thank you. This SIG has the mag release button that can be swapped to the right hand side for you lefties.

I'm a LH fulltime police firearms instructor - I wouldn't know what to do with it on that side - LOL.

Actually, there is an advantage to be had if a lefty activates the mag release button with his index (trigger) finger - his/her finger is also off the trigger during reloads.

BuzzinSATX
05-04-15, 07:31

Yeah, sometimes...but there are more than a few guns I let go of for lots of reasons, some valid (funds/life issues) and not so valid (stupid whims) that I'd give twice today what I got for them to get them back.

A few Colt and S&W revolvers, a Remington 788 tack driving .308 carbine, and an old Ruger 77V 22-250 that was stupid accurate come to mind.

Nothing wrong about a good deal on a great used gun...

Take Care,

Buzz

Psalms144.1
05-04-15, 07:40
Nothing wrong about a good deal on a great used gun...This, this, a thousand times, THIS. I've lost count of the number of better than just perfectly functional pistols I've sold over the years - Glocks by the truckload (chasing the next "best gun") two P7M8s, a Colt Commanding Officer, a 5" 629 that was the single most accurate handgun I've ever shot, a S&W 25 4" 45 Colt (nickled, no less) that was a laser beam - but I had to sell it to fund a "Mountain Gun" version of the same that was nowhere near as nice... I could go on and on.

The trick to buying a used gun is to know what your looking at BEFORE you decide to buy it, and be able to make an informed decision on the utility and value of the pistol in question...

Regards,

Kevin

Mr.Anderson
05-04-15, 09:36
Kevin,
And that is why I shy away from used.
It'd be my luck I'd give $325 used and the barrel be shot out or somethin lol.

I have bought used. My PT92 was used. But I knew where I bought it from and had a buddy (Corycop) with me at the time I bought it.

I only had $250 tp spend and he said he was not going to let me buy a Hipoint! Haha
Glad he didnt. Then, I wound up at M4C somehow.

seant8
05-04-15, 10:00
I run the Walther PPQ as my main pistol and I feel like it gets underrated as far as aftermarket support. There are lots of holster options, mags aren't hard to come by, decent aftermarket sight options including the excellent Trijicon HD sights (no sight pusher required, either), and even aftermarket barrels are out there. The thing is, it is so excellent out of the factory that it doesn't need any drop in trigger components or grip work. The only reason to get a new barrel is for a threaded option. It is lacking in suppressor height sights and it is probably not the best host for a mini RDS because of the shape of the slide.

brickboy240
05-04-15, 10:04
Some used guns might indeed be a problems that another person is glad to be rid of.

However, like cars...some people just swap guns because they are bored. Many times the used guns have seen only a few boxes of shells at best. Some were never carried at all.

If the price is MUCH lower than new and the thing looks nearly new...I think a used pistol is worth the risk. Many times...it is in the case because of the many impulse buyers in the gun market that buy something...shoot it a few times and get bored with it and sell for something new. How many people do you know that trade guns and buy and sell them like mad? I know several.

Speaking from experience...I would NOT write off all used guns as problems that others are running from.

Jpoe88
05-04-15, 10:23
how many people do you know that trade guns and buy and sell them like mad? I know several.

This is me. Usually about a month and I'm done with a gun. However, I really like the XD9. I've had it for almost a month, put 500 down range and still buying ammo to feed it. Don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. I've committed to keep it

26 Inf
05-04-15, 10:28
Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post

Yeah, sometimes...but there are more than a few guns I let go of for lots of reasons, some valid (funds/life issues) and not so valid (stupid whims) that I'd give twice today what I got for them to get them back.

A few Colt and S&W revolvers, a Remington 788 tack driving .308 carbine, and an old Ruger 77V 22-250 that was stupid accurate come to mind.

Nothing wrong about a good deal on a great used gun...

Take Care,

Buzz

I agree totally, that was just an attempt at humor.

I have more firearms I've purchased used, especially shotguns, than new.

Generally if it is a 'I have to save to have this' firearm I'll go new. I buy on the spur of the moment once and a while when I'm walking through the gun store, then it is almost always used.