PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt USA "Assembled" Tools

TacticalSledgehammer
04-30-15, 07:12
I spotted the red white and blue logo on their tools when I walked into home depot yesterday to pick up an order. Apparently they're assembled from globally made parts and assembled here. That's a good start at least. Really it's probably no different than any automobile offered by the big 3.
http://www.toolsofthebrave.com/

Eurodriver
04-30-15, 07:33
I guess it depends on how much "assembly" is done here, and the extent of that "assembly"

TacticalSledgehammer
04-30-15, 07:46
Yes, but it's a start at least. I think companies are starting to see that some consumers value "made in the usa" products more than others. What sucks is how loosely the definition of "USA Made" can be used.

Moose-Knuckle
04-30-15, 07:52
I purchased a Dewalt 20-Volt Max Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill two years ago and became a Dewalt customer for life. Outstanding product.

"Made in the USA" is tricky, it really is just a selling tag line more than anything these days.

Ned Christiansen
04-30-15, 08:15
Yeah they need to tighten up the regs on this I guess so that labeling on everything is a little more, oh I don't know, accurate and honest.

"Globally sourced", I'm sure it can mean many things but to me it means "made in China but we'd prefer you didn't know for sure".

26 Inf
04-30-15, 08:34
Yes, but it's a start at least. I think companies are starting to see that some consumers value "made in the usa" products more than others. What sucks is how loosely the definition of "USA Made" can be used.

Don't want to skew this too much, but remember when Wal-Mart emphasized 'made in the USA' in their advertizing?

Back on track - consumer hobbyist use for me - DeWalt and Ryobi are my go to.

SilverBullet432
04-30-15, 08:37
I think DeWalt is owned by Stanley. Many stanley tools are US assembled. For hand tools, I go for Stanley PROTO, as those are all US made. Power Tools, we use DeWalt everyday at out shop.

Ryno12
04-30-15, 08:41
I wish we could get back to the day where "Made in the USA"=Quality. Unfortunately, that's not always the case anymore. It's great marketing for the patriotic but that's about it.

When purchasing anything, I'll first seek known quality and after that, all things being equal, I'll chose the product that's made in the USA.

alvincullumyork
04-30-15, 08:41
Dewalt came to a job site I was working a while ago to pitch their products. They said they were the only US owned power tool company left and that they were slowly bringing back all production (maybe just assembly) to the US. After using a couple of others brands I think Dewalt is the best that you can get the ergos and durability are great. Some of the other brands aren't bad I just like Dewalt a little better.

I'm a hobbyist now but have there second nicest drill, impact driver, and sawzall. All 20v. I've used the impact driver to tear my motorcycle all the way apart several times. It's the best tool I've ever owned.

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.

Moose-Knuckle
04-30-15, 09:11
IIRC Black & Decker own Dewalt and a whole host of other brand names.

This thread was started by a member seeking a drill/driver, the USA thing came up here.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?152102-Drill-Driver-Recomendations

I started this thread five years ago about hand tools and this topic was broached.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?62057-Hand-Tools

Averageman
04-30-15, 09:42
Dewalt would seem to be the Gold Standard.
We have several sets at work, one that I would guess is 5+ years old. For something to last that long with us says a lot about it's quality.
How did the hand tool thing work out for you Moose-Knuckle?

Abraham
04-30-15, 09:45
Made in the U.S.A. is often bogus.

Why do I say this?

Because much of the time the entire product is foreign made, and simply assembled in the U.S.A. which then qualifies it as: Made in the U.S.A.

That definition in my opinion is way off the mark.

To qualify, in my opinion, the entire product should originate from the U.S.A., not just assembled here.

No doubt, some lobbyists/lawyers for foreign products got this lying piece of law enacted.

thei3ug
04-30-15, 10:03
Dewalt came to a job site I was working a while ago to pitch their products. They said they were the only US owned power tool company left and that they were slowly bringing back all production (maybe just assembly) to the US.

We have around 100-150 journeymen at any given time and are standardized on dewalt for much of our power tools.
Everyone has their big name loyalty, but they work. As for where they're produced, I wonder how a stronger dollar is going to affect some of their long term manufacturing and assembly plans. As for "assembled" here, that's the way of the world because we flat out do not manufacture certain types of products, and it's not possible to make them in house for a reasonable price.

My favorite of all time is Apple, with their almost laughable "Designed by Apple in California" right next to the "Made in China." Or that announcement with Cook at the State of the Union where they mentioned new assembly plants coming back as if it were some patriotic partnership between the administration and Apple. Please. Someone at the company said they could save 32 cents a unit moving final assembly of a monitor here and they did it.

SilverBullet432
04-30-15, 10:14
My dad still has a craftsman jigsaw he bought new back in the 80's. It is the only jigsaw we have and runs like a champ :cool: says made in USA on it and I believe it! Gets used and abused on a daily basis! ( full production cabinet shop, 4 employees )

nova3930
04-30-15, 10:32
I've got some DeWalt that has served me well. Their Porter Cable line has done well for me too. As matter of preference, I kinda like my Milwaukee stuff better though. Ergonomics seem to fit me better.

I think DeWalt is owned by Stanley. Many stanley tools are US assembled. For hand tools, I go for Stanley PROTO, as those are all US made. Power Tools, we use DeWalt everyday at out shop.

Correct. DeWalt is the contractor grade of their lines. Porter Cable is the mid grade (hobby?) and Black and Decker is the bottom (homeowner) grade....

Alex V
04-30-15, 11:21
When I was designing banks, Cap One used union labor and Chase did not. The Cap One job sites were almost exclusively Hilti, the non union guys used mostly Makita and Milwaukee, every once in a while you would see Dewalt. Most of the jobs I do now are non union, on the commercial projects is still almost exclusively Makita/Milwaukee. The residential projects you see everything from good tools to cheap Harbor Freight crap.

Personally, I use Milwaukee, Makita, Klein... nothing against Dewalt, just never had any of their stuff...

thei3ug
04-30-15, 11:50
I'd say that's more a preference of the tradesmen or company rep than it is a union/not union thing. Or a "this is what we have batteries for" turning into "this is the best, that's why we use it" over time. In our contract we supply and service all power tools, and we standardize because the tools have a cost benefit.
I noticed sometimes architects will specify let's say a hilti fastener. Then our guy or the subcontractor will have to get certified. But other than that I bet it's as much about the strength of the sales rep and tradition as it is about the quality of the tools. Our electrical sub will have makita, we'll have dewalt, the mechanical sub will have Milwaukee... someone will have Bosch somewhere. Everyone says they're the best and how they hate the others. But the company is buying and supplying them anyway, and if they switched employers they'd find a new favorite in 6 months.

As for residential contractors, I couldn't tell you what they're thinking at any given time, at least around here. I've seen some wacky stuff.

SilverBullet432
04-30-15, 12:21
We have always counted on DeWalt tools. Yes, we do have Makita and Milwaukee drills, very good kit. The #1 thing for us as far as life/breakage would be bits. The new impact series bits are very good and last a long time, our primary drill is the 1/4 impact driver. I personally own a porter cable 20v set. Very good kit also. As far as pneumatics go, Paslode is our go to nailer. We have 3 2" 16 gauge. And several Porter cable 18 gauge nailers. We have grizzly shop equipment which has proven good. (Made in taiwan ISO 9001 ) and shop-fox table saws.

nova3930
04-30-15, 12:47
The #1 thing for us as far as life/breakage would be bits.

It's not easy to find good drill bits for even home use, I can't imagine if I had to do it for real work. I've broken and untwisted so many supposedly good drill bits its not even funny. That's not to mention the ones where the point is cut incorrectly such that it won't cut. I recently broke down and dropped a C-note on a small set of cobalt steel Precision Twist bits that have a good reputation among the machinists I know......

TacticalSledgehammer
04-30-15, 13:20
I've came to know myself in the past 10 years. I'm not a contractor nor do I use my tools every day. But when I do, I usually beat the shit out of them. I'm 31 now, and the whole buy once cry once has become my way of life anymore. This is after going through power tools like black and decker, skill, harbor freight specials, etc.. every year. Same with lawn equipment. I buy stihl. The main reason I started the thread was to give you all a heads up on the new assembled in the USA line (even though the phrase is always sketchy anymore) DeWalt, since I know most of you appreciate well made items.

SilverBullet432
04-30-15, 13:38
It's not easy to find good drill bits for even home use, I can't imagine if I had to do it for real work. I've broken and untwisted so many supposedly good drill bits its not even funny. That's not to mention the ones where the point is cut incorrectly such that it won't cut. I recently broke down and dropped a C-note on a small set of cobalt steel Precision Twist bits that have a good reputation among the machinists I know......

Ive been using the same DeWalt impact phillips bit for months hasn't stripped out. Precision ground. Its not a regular phillips point it has the same size but with a flat tip grips screws like a vise!

Alex V
04-30-15, 13:41
I noticed sometimes architects will specify let's say a hilti fastener. Then our guy or the subcontractor will have to get certified.

I specify Hilti because they provide the load calculation data. Would a generic fastener from Home Depot of Lowes work the same? Probably, but without the testing report I can't prove to the local authority that the fastener will do what I am asking it to do. Same goes for Simpson Strong-Tie products and so on. Its just easier to specify them because of all the back up.

SilverBullet432
04-30-15, 16:41
Hilti schmilti we just use a ramset.

THCDDM4
04-30-15, 19:58
I had nothing but duds from dewalt. I switched to makita and Milwaukee and I've had smooth sailing.

The old craftsman power tools my grandpa left me when he died are still killing it. They've got to be at least 30 some years old by now.

I run my tools to the limit and the makita/Milwaukee tools Have been great.

williejc
04-30-15, 22:15
Our once manufacturing based economy has become service based. One result is loss of much higher paying jobs. Another result is loss of capability to produce to produce complex items. Even items stamped made in U.S.A. may have some components bought elsewhere because these particular parts are no longer made here.
If a company commits to selling quality tools, guns, or whatever, then it can employ stringent standards. High standards cost money, and this fact is the main reason that we see so much shit pushed by vendors.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-30-15, 22:23
What power tools arent made in China these days?

I have a wall full of Milwaukee tools, love em, but I know that even they are now made in China.

Moose-Knuckle
05-07-15, 23:44
How did the hand tool thing work out for you Moose-Knuckle?

As for hand tools I replaced my lost set with Craftsman SAE/Metric wrenches, Craftsman screwdrivers, Channellock pliers (all types), Vise-Grips, Estwing hammer, etc. IIRC the only thing still made in the USA is the complete Channellock line of pliers and Estwing hammers/hatchets. I don't make a living with my tools so I bought sets on sale from Sears/ACE/Home Depot/Lowe's until I had a full set of tools in the box.

graffex
05-11-15, 20:22
Electrical contractor here... Milwaukee is way better than dewalt imho.

HKGuns
05-11-15, 20:37
DeWalt is just a tarted up Black & Decker. Marketing of the brand is the main difference.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-11-15, 23:07
Electrical contractor here... Milwaukee is way better than dewalt imho.

My Father In Law is a GC and owns a very successful drywalling company. He's got Milwaukee drills that are going on 30 years and running strong. His Dewalt tools burn out quickly according to him. When I need something that will be light duty use, I buy the yellow. When I need something that is going to be driving 3" wood screws all day, I buy the red.

I love my Milwaukee 3 Speed Impact Driver, but I have seen videos of the new Makita Impact outperforming it. That I need to see in person to believe.

Averageman
05-12-15, 08:06
A bit off track, but..
If you need impact sockets, I cannot reccomend Stanley enough.
In a last minute change of plans I need a set of impact sockets and to be on the road in about 4 hours. I bought these in a rush, 10 years later they are still holding up.
Most of my stuff is Blue Point, Snap-on or Craftsman. To have these things still in my tool box is pretty amazing., Ive been brutal to them.