PDA

View Full Version : BTF glock 43

rondooley
05-01-15, 15:04
Just curious if anyone else has had brass to forehead with their G43. Mine shoots great and has been 100% reliable with all ammunition but I get a whack on the forehead about once or twice a magazine. Not complaining but just curious if I am the only one. Happily none of my other Glocks do it. BTW I was shooting 124 grain WWB and Gold Dots.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-01-15, 15:18
Pretty common on Glock designs.

C4IGrant
05-01-15, 15:39
I did not get any BTF when I shot the 43. This could be another random deal (like the early Gen 4's 9mm's). We will have to wait and see.

C4

WickedWillis
05-01-15, 17:25
Just curious if anyone else has had brass to forehead with their G43. Mine shoots great and has been 100% reliable with all ammunition but I get a whack on the forehead about once or twice a magazine. Not complaining but just curious if I am the only one. Happily none of my other Glocks do it. BTW I was shooting 124 grain WWB and Gold Dots.

I might have found part of the problem.

PatrioticDisorder
05-01-15, 17:48
I haven't had any BTF with my 43 but the round count is still low, blazer brass 115gr & Federal HST.

JBecker 72
05-01-15, 18:22
I might have found part of the problem.

That 124 grain 9mm NATO round has been a very good performer as range ammo in my experience.

wrcpete
05-01-15, 19:50
I have only about 75-100 rounds through my 43 I have not had any hit my face with mixed 115/124 range ammo

Beat Trash
05-02-15, 14:00
I only put about six magazines through a T&E my agency received for a few days. While I did not get any BTF, I did get at least 2 cases out of every six that would eject straight up and hit the wrist of my dominant hand.

I was shooting the G43 along side of my Shield. I really expected to like the Glock 43. But I left very underwhelmed.

Unreconstructed
05-02-15, 16:57
Yes, BTF about once per mag on average.
Only fired 200 rounds in one range trip so far, so I'll be shooting a lot more before deciding the G43's fate.
Ejection is very erratic. Cases go all over the place. Sometimes the spent cases only rise a few inches and drop right back down on the gun. Most annoying is when the brass comes in at an angle and drops behind my glasses getting stuck against my eye/cheek. I was wearing normal prescription glasses and no hat.
One ammo tried wouldn't run - Federal AE9FP 147gr FMJ flat point failure to feed over and over. It would chamber sometimes if I struck the back of the slide.
All other ammo tried so far ran with no failure: 147gr Win Ranger SXT, 124gr Win NATO ball, 115gr Win white box
also... I've been shooting for almost 40 years and I'm an instructor. I'm definitely not limp wristing. LOL

WillBrink
05-02-15, 17:24
Pretty common on Glock designs.

Real men like the sizzling noise when brass lands between their face and their shooting glasses no? I kid.

davebee456
05-02-15, 20:22
120 FMJ 115gr (100 fmj winchester white box and 20 fmj blazer brass) and 24 Federal HST (12-124 gr and 12-124 +P)
maybe i can recall one brass bouncing toward my head out that batch...pretty reliable for me so far no FTE FTF

WickedWillis
05-04-15, 10:18
That 124 grain 9mm NATO round has been a very good performer as range ammo in my experience.

I took my brand new G43 out to the range yesterday to see how I like it. I fired exactly 100 rounds through it, all of it 115gr Blaser brass. I did have two casings hit the top of my hat, spaced out probably four magazines apart. I did not have any others eject straight up like some others are saying however. Mine was shooting low left at 21 feet out of the box.

PatrioticDisorder
05-04-15, 10:32
I took my brand new G43 out to the range yesterday to see how I like it. I fired exactly 100 rounds through it, all of it 115gr Blaser brass. I did have two casings hit the top of my hat, spaced out probably four magazines apart. I did not have any others eject straight up like some others are saying however. Mine was shooting low left at 21 feet out of the box.

Blazer brass 115gr is probably the biggest BTF culprit in Glocks, so two pop flies in 100 rounds is a non issue. These little guns do have a tendency to hit low left, harder to master them than their larger counterparts. Admittedly I was hitting a little low left as well, I knew it had to be me & that was confirmed when my father shot my 43 and was hitting dead straight. I don't know why, my father rarely shoots but he's scary accurate with any gun or trigger in his hands.

WickedWillis
05-04-15, 10:41

Very first group, just getting a feel for it.

The second magazine tightened up a bit. I had a hard time beating the second magazine.

Smash
05-04-15, 11:28
I've shot 4 different G43's now. 30rds per.

I don't have a specific number but do recall quite a few vertical ejections with casings landing on my right biceps. (like 6-10)

I've had exactly two BTFs(different guns). 3 out of 4 guns had zero FTEs, 1 gun had 2 FTEs out of 5 rounds in the mag.(first five rounds shot out of the gun.)

I have noticed the magazines hang up quite a bit on the mag release while inserting if any pressure is applied toward the side of the mag release.

All rounds were cheap Remington "Sureshot, 100 rd value pack, 115gr"

Packeagle
05-12-15, 14:43
I have shot probably 150 rounds through my Glock 43.

My first trip I shot 50 rounds of mixed 9mm including PPU, Magtech, and Hornady Critical Duty. I wasn't as focused on ejection as I was on grip and recoil impulse compared to my Glock 27. I did not experience any BTF, but may or may not have had erratic ejection.

This last range trip I was alone. I shot 100 rounds of 115gn WWB. This range trip I experienced one BTF. Probably 5 rounds total that I noticed ejecting erratically. Up and strait back.

Firefly
05-12-15, 15:55
I hear about brass to face and own Gen 2 to Gen 4 glocks and it seriously has never happened to me once. I've never seen it. I'm not saying it hasn't ever happened but I'd like to know what would cause it. And I've shot a lot. Admittedly it has been mostly 9mm and .45. Is it a .40 thing?

In the case of a 43 what would cause it?

Vandal
05-12-15, 20:28
Took my 43 out today shooting Magtech 115gr 9mm. No BTF in the 50 I had the time to shoot.

Packeagle
05-12-15, 20:30
I don't remember any with Magtech, but had one with the WWB. I'll try some other ammo next time to see if its the ammo

PatrioticDisorder
05-12-15, 20:33
I hear about brass to face and own Gen 2 to Gen 4 glocks and it seriously has never happened to me once. I've never seen it. I'm not saying it hasn't ever happened but I'd like to know what would cause it. And I've shot a lot. Admittedly it has been mostly 9mm and .45. Is it a .40 thing?

In the case of a 43 what would cause it?

Recent production 19 & 26 gave me BTF with WEAK 115gr ammo (Apex cured the 19), recent production 17 & 43 have not given me any BTF with weak ammo, 124, 147 & 158gr ammo have NOT given me any BTF in any gun (even pre apex for the 19). Carry ammo (HSTs) ejects very strongly high and to 3:30 every time. I believe the issue is mostly ammo related (at least in my experience) and does not matter how I grip the gun (intentional limp wristing did not make BTF any worse), although early Gen4s had overly powerful RSA's and a sub optimal ejector that exacerbated the problem.

themonk
05-12-15, 20:41
700 rounds, no brass to the face

QuickStrike
05-13-15, 11:17
I've been getting brass to the top of my head a few times every session.

Even saw the brass come out to the left at 7 o'clock when my sis was shooting!

Also two failures to eject out of the same box of winchester white box. Which also showed the same malf once in my gen 4 g19.

Win white box is some dirty ass ammo, and may be a bit inconsistent, so im not sure about blaming the pistol.

Hope it ejects more consistently with carry loads.

I love and hate glocks!

Vandal
05-13-15, 19:10
Put another 50 of Blazer Brass down the pipe, no BTF. I am seeing a trend of BTF coming from WWB and other weak ammo.

PatrioticDisorder
05-13-15, 19:15
Put another 50 of Blazer Brass down the pipe, no BTF. I am seeing a trend of BTF coming from WWB and other weak ammo.

Blazer brass is a big offender for BTF for my 2 of 4 Glocks that are prone to it, so I'd put it in the weak category. I haven't shot WWB lately, but it's always been considered weak and inconsistent.

Vandal
05-13-15, 19:47
I can run BB in my gen4 G19 and G43 with no BTF. Strange, maybe I got lucky. WWB has become one of my last choices to shoot if nothing else is available.

I'm curious as to what the cause of BTF in the 43s ends up being. One would think after the pervious issues with the early Gen4 guns they would have that worked out prior to release.

Unreconstructed
05-13-15, 20:44
I am seeing a trend of BTF coming from WWB and other weak ammo.

Not accurate. My G43 has VERY erratic ejection. Ejecting not only into my face, but in all directions, even to the left. All ammo types, including Win Ranger and Gold Dots. What I am seeing is the BTF is common in some Glocks and not happening in others. Luck of the draw.

Blak1508
05-13-15, 22:32
I get mine tmrw after work and will update then, but to add, my G19 production 4/2014 did this in the beginning and after about 200 rounds she settled down and gave me a consistent 4:00 pattern

DWood
05-23-15, 15:12
I had 12 BTF in the first 100 rounds yesterday. Granted I was shooting WWB, but I still wasn't pleased. I will shoot some Critical Duty 135 grain + P next week and hope for better performance. All rounds fed, fired and ejected, but some hit me and many rounds ejected weakly.

GJM
05-23-15, 19:48
BTF on mine, 115 bargain ball to 147, including Gold Dot 124+P. Seems worse, shooting with just one hand.

Phillygunguy
05-23-15, 20:07
It would be nice if glock would own up to and fix the btf problems once and for all instead of coming out with .380 or single stack guns that still have shitty ejection problems.
I honestly don't know how anybody can still buy glocks after all this time. I owned 8 glocks over the past 4 years all gave btf no matter how many apex or glock oem extractors it still has been btf. If you want a reliable striker fired pistol get a vp9 or ppq or m&p , until glock gets serious about fixing their ejection problems, I'd stay away.

CoryCop25
05-23-15, 21:44
I have had zero BTF so far. Ejection is very erratic though. I ran about 20 124gr Rangers and almost every round ejected straight up. I had no issues at all with the 147s or PMC Bronze. I'm going to carry my usual 147gr Ranger T bonded. I was thinking about Gold Dot G2 but it looks like the FBI is recalling or scrapping them due to over penetration issues.

Glock46
05-31-15, 13:45
Haven't tried the 43 yet however I've had a few brass burns from the 17 and 19.

mayonaise
06-01-15, 17:02
It would be nice if glock would own up to and fix the btf problems once and for all instead of coming out with .380 or single stack guns that still have shitty ejection problems.
I honestly don't know how anybody can still buy glocks after all this time. I owned 8 glocks over the past 4 years all gave btf no matter how many apex or glock oem extractors it still has been btf. If you want a reliable striker fired pistol get a vp9 or ppq or m&p , until glock gets serious about fixing their ejection problems, I'd stay away.

Why don't you just make the above your signature line so it shows up in every thread you post in? You've had 8 glocks and they ALL do it no matter what you change out. Anyone here know what the common denominator to this story is? Bueller? Bueller?

Unreconstructed
06-01-15, 17:11
Why don't you just make the above your signature line so it shows up in every thread you post in? You've had 8 glocks and they ALL do it no matter what you change out. Anyone here know what the common denominator to this story is? Bueller? Bueller?

I know the common denominator. GLOCK. Glock Brass to Face. Erratic ejection in all directions. As in 360 degrees. Even to the left side. AND>>> Glock hasn't fixed it.

Phillygunguy
06-01-15, 17:11
Why not put in your sig line you work for Glock and you can never admit to glock having problems?

Phillygunguy
06-01-15, 17:19
Your the glock expert please enlighten me and everyone on M4C what's wrong? What's the common denominator?

mayonaise
06-01-15, 17:31
I'm sorry you don't like the gun. You're obviously happy with with your VP9. You clearly still have an axe to grind. Which is why I suggested using the quoted in your sig line. It's just a more efficient method of spreading your message.

Sent from Tapatalk

PatrioticDisorder
06-01-15, 18:06

Nothing wrong wit th the PPQ, VP9 or M&P, but the BTF is a minor issue. I find it odd the apex extractor wouldn't cure problems on the 17 or 19, it won't help the 26. I've had BTF with weak ammo on the 19 & 26, 17 & 43 run like a top, Apex cured my issues with the 19 and it is just weak ammo that gives my 26 issues. I agree Glock could and should find a fix, however it's the most ubiquitous handgun on the planet, it's basically the AR-15 of handguns and IMO it's foolish to completely right the gun off for that reason alone.

Phillygunguy
06-01-15, 18:30
Nothing wrong wit th the PPQ, VP9 or M&P, but the BTF is a minor issue. I find it odd the apex extractor wouldn't cure problems on the 17 or 19, it won't help the 26. I've had BTF with weak ammo on the 19 & 26, 17 & 43 run like a top, Apex cured my issues with the 19 and it is just weak ammo that gives my 26 issues. I agree Glock could and should find a fix, however it's the most ubiquitous handgun on the planet, it's basically the AR-15 of handguns and IMO it's foolish to completely right the gun off for that reason alone.
Others on here have said the Apex isn't a 100% fix, Grant for one believes the only true way to fix btf is to lower the ejection port. Randy Lee over at Apex had done this for a few customers in the past, which leads me to believe even he thought his FRE extractor wasn't 100% fix
I have a gen4 glock 19 with my second apex the original gen 4 didn't work buy a gen3 extractor from apex did not perfect,but up until recently after5000 rounds it started hitting me in the ear
I replaced the recoil spring and that may have helped only time will tell.
Btw I still have 4 glocks two 17s gen3 and a gen2 19 and I had all btf Even the gen 2 surprisingly I may keep 2 glock19s as I shoot them better, but the VP9 has been100% reliable after almost2000 rds

Phillygunguy
06-01-15, 18:37
I'm sorry you don't like the gun. You're obviously happy with with your VP9. You clearly still have an axe to grind. Which is why I suggested using the quoted in your sig line. It's just a more efficient method of spreading your message.

Sent from Tapatalk
But my point is It isn't just me having these issues, but for some reason you take it personally when I mentioned the btf problems, look I'm not a VP9 fanboy Im also not a not a glock hater, in fact I wouldnt even consider another gun if I didn't have btf. I just wish glock would go back to the early design if their ejection port and ejector I think that may be a fix

jsharp
06-02-15, 13:08
How much of a problem is this BTF issue really?

My Gen 3 G23 and Gen 4 G22 never do this and both of them have been shot thousands of rounds. But after about 500 rounds thru my Gen 4 G26 I can say that it's done it a handful of times. As in 5 times or less. Maybe just a couple of times.

My point is, the guns all run 100%. They eject the brass strongly and keep on working. So why do I care? Somehow I feel like in the middle of a gunfight the place where my brass ends up will be the least of my worries...

Edit: By the way, I have a 1911 that was built by a very well respected gunsmith about 25 years ago and it does it occasionally too. I didn't care then and I still don't <shrug>

WickedWillis
06-02-15, 13:34

My Gen 3 G23 and Gen 4 G22 never do this and both of them have been shot thousands of rounds. But after about 500 rounds thru my Gen 4 G26 I can say that it's done it a handful of times. As in 5 times or less. Maybe just a couple of times.

My point is, the guns all run 100%. They eject the brass strongly and keep on working. So why do I care? Somehow I feel like in the middle of a gunfight the place where my brass ends up will be the least of my worries...

I agree with you mostly on everything you said. Until a casing rolls in between your PC and your chest and burns the living shit out of you in a gunfight, and takes away the concentration. I do have the issue with my G19 Gen 4, I still love the gun, but it gets damn obnoxious after awhile. Always off the top of my hat. I need to buy a new extractor.

BTL BRN
06-02-15, 13:41
I am about 500 rounds into my G43 using almost solely Freedom Munitions 115 Reman and 147 +p HST; no malfunctions, some odd ejection (mostly forward) but nothing memorable as far as BTF.

Phillygunguy
06-02-15, 13:42

Edit: By the way, I have a 1911 that was built by a very well respected gunsmith about 25 years ago and it does it occasionally too. I didn't care then and I still don't <shrug>
Try getting hit in the eye with hot brass in a gun fight see if it's a minor thing. Not that I been in a gunfight,but had brass in the eye

jsharp
06-02-15, 14:01
Try getting hit in the eye with hot brass in a gun fight see if it's a minor thing. Not that I been in a gunfight,but had brass in the eye

Nor have I... I am 'lucky' enough to wear glasses all the time tho.

I've had burns on my hands and arms from 5.56 brass shooting from right hand cover. I bought better gloves and wear heavier shirts now. Shoot on a line or as a team or off position/from cover and I can guarantee brass will be bouncing everywhere. Some of that is going to end up where you don't want and it's going to hurt anything exposed.

I honestly wonder why some guns do this and others don't. But for me it's not worth working too hard to fix the problem as long as the guns run 100%.