PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me identify this unmarked Barrel.

AssGasOrBrass
05-02-15, 11:27
This is what I know about the origin. It came off an upper that was originally attached to a pre-ban lower. The upper receiver is made by FNMI/Cerro (KeyHole Logo) forged. It came outfitted in retro Ar-15 style with removable carry handle, plastic handguard, delta ring, front sight gas block.

The barrel has a carbine length gas system, is 16" long, threaded with A2 flashhider. No chrome lining can been seen. It appears to be a h-bar contour.

From the photos or info provided is anyone in the community able to guess as to the origin of this barrel?

Thanks!

AssGasOrBrass
05-02-15, 11:29
2 more photos:

Kain
05-02-15, 11:38
Are there any markings on the barrel? That would be of the most use to identifying the barrel I would think.

AssGasOrBrass
05-02-15, 11:50
Are there any markings on the barrel? That would be of the most use to identifying the barrel I would think.

No Markings on the barrel whatsoever. Hence the title of the post "Please Help Me identify this unmarked Barrel."

markm
05-02-15, 13:40
That contour under the hand guard is bizarre. But judging by the fact that it was phosphated with the FSB installed... it's likely a lower end manufacturer.

BatteryOperated
05-02-15, 14:20
That contour under the hand guard is bizarre. But judging by the fact that it was phosphated with the FSB installed... it's likely a lower end manufacturer.

Evidently, a manufacturer that wants to remain anonymous. ;)

AssGasOrBrass
05-02-15, 22:35

Clever observation. Thanks. From that strip of unfinished metal, can anyone guess what type of metal is under the phosphate?

AssGasOrBrass
05-03-15, 06:54
Anyone Else? All the mystery...

markm
05-03-15, 09:07
I wonder if it might be an older DPMS or something. It may be a decent shooter... I mean... I ran an old Bushmaster carbine barrel for a range blaster for a long time.

I'm only guessing that it's an older barrel because you don't see that profile anywhere as far as I know.... but if we assume it's and older barrel, that'd narrow down who made it quite a bit. To me it looks like the chamber is chromed, but maybe I'm wrong. If the chamber is chromed, it would eliminate OLY as the manufacturer. Could be an Armalite or DPMS possibly.

Servo
05-03-15, 11:05
I wonder if it might be an older DPMS or something. It may be a decent shooter... I mean... I ran an old Bushmaster carbine barrel for a range blaster for a long time.

I'm only guessing that it's an older barrel because you don't see that profile anywhere as far as I know.... but if we assume it's and older barrel, that'd narrow down who made it quite a bit. To me it looks like the chamber is chromed, but maybe I'm wrong. If the chamber is chromed, it would eliminate OLY as the manufacturer. Could be an Armalite or DPMS possibly.

I didn't think DPMS chromed all their barrels, it came as an option for extra cost if I remember right, when I first started looking up AR's about 3 years ago (didn't go DPMS thankfully). Although I just checked now it it seems like a standard feature on some rifles.

lysander
05-03-15, 14:40

That contour shows up now and again.

https://andersonrifles-resourcemarketin1.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/16-1-7-mid1.jpg

There is the possibility that it is a custom contour.

misfit47
05-13-15, 21:17
It looks like an ultralight contoured barrel. What's strange about it?

JasonB1
05-19-15, 06:15
Probably one of the various parts house barrels. A few of them sold their regular full heavy barrel with the forward notch to look like an M4 barrel with full heavy profile under the guards. Since the notch looks correct, I would tend to guess the turning down under the forearm was done by someone after the original sale who didn't have the dimensions/know how make the correct cut.

Iraqgunz
05-19-15, 20:40
Some POS with a rifle barrel extension.

misfit47
05-19-15, 21:13
Why is it an automatic pos? M4 ramps weren't always standard.

Iraqgunz
05-19-15, 21:17
Because it's a 16" carbine gas system and it should have an M4 barrel extension which has been the norm for at least 15 years. And because the FSB was installed onto the barrel before parkerizing which it typical of the junk peddlers. Unmarked barrels are also a very good sign for obvious reasons.

Why is it an automatic pos? M4 ramps weren't always standard.

misfit47
05-19-15, 22:59
Valid points.

mtdawg169
05-20-15, 08:17
Weird profile, rifle extension, no Park under the FSB, no chrome, no markings = nothing good. Based on the supposed pre-ban age of the barrel, maybe dpms, oly or maybe even Vulcan / Hesse. If you're wanting to resell it, it's probably worth about a $100 to someone looking for a beater barrel

misfit47
05-20-15, 09:23
Don't know how I missed the pics originally. Looks like an old hbar that was turned down to m4ish pattern. Oh the terrible hbar. ...
Could have come from any lower end maker.

XD40Colorado
05-27-15, 19:06
I'd say it's a piece of shit and not trust it.

AssGasOrBrass
05-27-15, 19:13
Well trust is relative. Would I go to war with it? NO. I don't plan on being in a gunfight anytime soon and for punching paper it works well enough. Do I trust it to not blow up in my face? Well...

MISFIT- turned down? Ie shortened? Do you think it was a HBAR that was cut down to shorter length? That would explain the no markings...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

misfit47
05-27-15, 20:35
Yes. I believe it was re contoured at some point in its life. Virtually every m4 contour barrel I've seen had m4 ramps, all I've seen at the very least have twist rate markings at a minimum.