PDA

View Full Version : New M1 carbine

Grand58742
05-04-15, 06:59
Interesting for those that like old weapons and such:

American Rifleman | Inland Manufacturing's 1945 M1 Carbine (http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/12/16/inland-manufacturings-1945-m1-carbine/)

Inland Manufacturing's plan is to launch a line of American-made firearms composed of 100 percent U.S.- made parts. It should come as no surprise, considering the company's name and location, that the first two rifle models off the production line are replicas of the M1 Carbine, including what the company calls a 1945 version of the fixed-stock M1 Carbine and the folding-stock M1A1 Paratrooper model. This review takes a closer look at the new 1945 M1 Carbine.

I would note this iteration of Inland is not the same company as the one of WWII fame. But it's nice to see the M1 getting a bit of love. A bit expensive with an MSRP of $1,049 but I hope it works out better than the one Auto-Ordnance came out with a few years ago.

http://www.mkssupply.com/img/Inland.jpg

Alpha-17
05-04-15, 07:52
I've played with the Paratrooper version before, and thought it was a nice, light, handy weapon. Perfect for a truck gun. Price is a bit off putting. I've seen original M1 Carbines go for not much more.

thei3ug
05-04-15, 08:26
That's the main issue for me. If I'm going to lay down 1k for an M1, you could pick up a surplus for that amount and have a piece of history.
It's not that I don't understand the cost of manufacture, I just think they're going to have trouble being competitive.

The geek in me has a small wish for an IBM rollmark.

05-07-15, 09:44
I hope they sell well. Thus creating a greater demand for .30 carbine ammo and cheaper prices.

Phlipper
05-11-15, 07:07
I owned an original Inland M-1 and loved the little thing. Ammo was just a bit tough, though, and I used to shoot a lot. So it went. I'd love to have another one, but at that price I'm just not feeling it.

An interesting side note on the .30 cal carbine ...

When I was in college I worked at the same company as this old guy (his son was my boss in the QA department) who was a retired E-8, had CIB with a star for Korea. Being fresh out of the peace-time 'Cold War' infantry I loved listening to his stories about Korea. He had amazing stories from 2 years there, being wounded three or four times, company wiped out, machine gun barrels so hot they curved, etc. He told me guys hated the .30 cal carbine in the Winter. He said the round wouldn't go thru the heavy coats the Chinese wore so everyone wanted a Garand instead and would quickly scavenge from buddies who were KIA or WIA and evac'd. Dunno if it's true or not, but he swore it was.

Dionysusigma
05-11-15, 10:19
An interesting side note on the .30 cal carbine ...

When I was in college I worked at the same company as this old guy (his son was my boss in the QA department) who was a retired E-8, had CIB with a star for Korea. Being fresh out of the peace-time 'Cold War' infantry I loved listening to his stories about Korea. He had amazing stories from 2 years there, being wounded three or four times, company wiped out, machine gun barrels so hot they curved, etc. He told me guys hated the .30 cal carbine in the Winter. He said the round wouldn't go thru the heavy coats the Chinese wore so everyone wanted a Garand instead and would quickly scavenge from buddies who were KIA or WIA and evac'd. Dunno if it's true or not, but he swore it was.

A long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) I remember a user from TheHighRoad (https://www.google.com/search?q=vern+humphrey+m1+carbine) talking about doing this exact same thing, but in Vietnam instead of Korea. So I'd say it's pretty likely it's true.

Still doesn't make it any less fun of a rifle to have (just physically too small for my 78" wingspan). :p

eodinert
05-11-15, 11:17
Quite a few years ago there were two cops killed in San Diego with an M1 carbine... one round killed both officers through the vests, as I recall. I don't think a heavy coat would do it.

scottryan
05-12-15, 19:17
Just what we need another junk gun made under a name masquerading as the real thing.

Wake27
05-12-15, 20:23
I would love an M1 Carbine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MorphCross
05-12-15, 20:37
Just what we need another junk gun made under a name masquerading as the real thing.

I would have to agree. If a person wants one to collect you get a surplus unit that actually has historical value. You want one to shoot, spend the money on a FA.