PDA

View Full Version : Magpul BUIS

Avenger11
07-15-08, 01:13
Has anyone got their hands on the Magpul BUIS being released this year? Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on them and perhaps a comparison versus Troy BUIS?

LettersFromEarth
07-15-08, 16:46
I've wondered the same thing more or less. Being that its a Magpul product Im sure it is first rate. Try and contact Drake over at Magpul. He is a good guy with a good company so... Good luck and advise us when you find something out.

ToddG
07-15-08, 16:49
I'm interested in hearing more about this, as well, particularly the expected timeline. The only thing left to add to my new gotM4fender is a rear sight. If a better mousetrap is coming soon I'll hold off.

Stickman
07-16-08, 00:35
Has anyone got their hands on the Magpul BUIS being released this year? Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on them and perhaps a comparison versus Troy BUIS?

They are a very different style of beast than the Troy. I played around with them at SHOT 08, much like a million other people.

chadbag
07-16-08, 02:32
Still in the cooker as far as I can tell... Nothing has showed up here yet to sell and the rest of the MOE line of products is 2nd half of 08 supposedly

Avenger11
07-16-08, 08:45
They are a very different style of beast than the Troy. I played around with them at SHOT 08, much like a million other people.

Goodness, does that mean we are going to have a million replies telling us they are different? ;)

Stickman
07-16-08, 10:21
If they do, I hope they bring pictures!

DrMark
07-16-08, 10:31
Is this BUIS from the MOE line, and is it the one I've read about as using polymer components?

LettersFromEarth
07-16-08, 12:13
Seeing as it will have Magpul's name on it Im sure it shall see the light of day when they (Magpul) consider it perfect. Im glad they are doing Irons (Poly's?), though. More choices--more better!!! :-)

Paulinski
07-16-08, 13:56
I'd love to find out more info about Magpul buis but...

Judging from recent posts by Drake any information about products in the pipeline is not available till they are ready to be released.

I actually don't blame them one bit for that attitude.

tiger seven
07-16-08, 14:33
I eagerly (but very patiently :) ) await the arrival of these.

Derek

Avenger11
07-17-08, 07:06
Here is an excerpt from the Magpul 2008 Catalog showing the sights:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/mr242/MagpulBUIS.jpg

If this is a violation of Magpul's or m4carbine.net policy to post, I understand if you must delete this post.

Stickman
07-17-08, 11:20
More pictures at the below link as well.

MBUS LINK (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252)

5spdfrk
07-17-08, 11:25
Wow, that looks nice, and I'm sure will fill a void in the BUIS market depending in price.

28_days
08-29-08, 18:26
Any updates?

I'd love to put a set on my first AR15, but would like to know whether or not they plan on hitting the market this year. We've heard about them for quite some time, but recently things have been very quiet. Are they coming anytime soon?

DrDrake
08-30-08, 18:54
Sonn Fellas, soon.

Palmguy
08-30-08, 20:10
Sonn Fellas, soon.

Good...I'm also in need of a rear sight and would love for it to be the Magpul piece :)

28_days
08-31-08, 11:25
Sonn Fellas, soon.

Awesome! Then I'll hold off on my Troy purchase. :D

IroquoisSnakePlissken
09-13-08, 19:24
Folks, these sights are the ****ing heat.

I was getting some 'smithery done on the ole' M4, and saw two TDI KRISS 45s for sale at my local dealer. They both had the Magpul BUIS onboard, and these are the best, hands-down, flip-ups I have EVER seen. The design is impeccable.

I want to know when these are getting released as add-ons.

Usually Magpul shit can be purchased sight unseen, due to everything they make being of such a high calibre, but I'm honestly shocked that they could improve on the overall design of BUIS as much as they have with these.

I don't know who the hell comes up with their ideas, but they've got the Jesus Christ of combat accessory design over there...my M4 Messiah...

Avenger11
09-14-08, 14:24
That's quite the endorsement!

IroquoisSnakePlissken
09-14-08, 15:31
These sights are the heat, amigo.

Magsz
09-14-08, 23:58
They are quite nice albeit HUGE lol.

Are the Kriss irons the same as what magpul is releasing for ar15's?

canucklehead
09-15-08, 08:51
I'm guessing price will be their differentiator in the market?

I'm a HUGE magpul fan - but I still can't really see how BUISes can be improved any further.

If it turns out they are 'teh heat', I'll be first in line for a set in FDE!

Dan Goodwin
09-15-08, 11:34
Drake, or anyone;

What is the weight for MBUS?

Just got LE 6933 in today and looking to keep it light as possible.

Wonder same for the new front sight, as may use a front and rear set on a iron-sight-free railed upper on another weapon.

IroquoisSnakePlissken
09-15-08, 19:54
I Charlie-Foxtrotted this up all sorts of ways...

The flip-ups on the KRISS were metal, not polymer. I'm convinced they must have been different sights altogether.

I am very sorry for this mix up. I got some mouth-dookie flowin' too freely.

I am not able to comment on the new polymer sights MagPul is cookin' up.

BUT, if the KRISS sights are any indication, they are, indeed, the heat. I'm serious, deploying the sights on the KRISS was silkier than Farrah Fawcett's mane, and sexier than Sarah Palin on a Ma Deuce.

Again, apologies for barking up the wrong tree. I tripped when I saw the sights, as I didn't think they had been released, and have now realised they were different sights altogether.

At least we know the sights on the ACR are probably going to be pretty wicked...

Sorry for dipshitting on this thread everyone.

DrDrake
09-16-08, 13:42
oops!

DrDrake
09-16-08, 13:43
Drake, or anyone;

What is the weight for MBUS?

Just got LE 6933 in today and looking to keep it light as possible.

Wonder same for the new front sight, as may use a front and rear set on a iron-sight-free railed upper on another weapon.

How about price? MBUS will be around $100 for a set, both front and rear.

IroquoisSnakePlissken
09-16-08, 17:53
Dude, that is bargain-tastic!

28_days
09-16-08, 17:57

Fantastic. You know what would be really cool? If you offered a select amount to some M4C members as a first release. :D

I'll definitely be purchasing an MBUS rear in black. Can't wait!

EDIT: I'm going to assume this means they're coming soon too. Good thing!

Avenger11
09-16-08, 20:42
$100 a set is very reasonable. I think you guys might have an affect on the BUS market. Regardless, I will certainly have some mounted on my rifle.

acerman
09-16-08, 23:26
What's BUIS,MBUS stand for ??

LOKNLOD
09-17-08, 00:22
What's BUIS,MBUS stand for ??

BUIS = Back Up Iron Sight
MBUS = Magpul Back Up Sight (Magpul's name for their BUIS)

geoffl
09-17-08, 00:48
drake... any guess as to when they will be available. i would love to get my hands on a set!

flyawaychen
10-30-08, 16:51
Bump for more news about this MBUS :D

TOM1911
10-31-08, 18:43
Sonn Fellas, soon.

Any updates as to availability yet. I'm chafing at the bit to get a pair in FDE:D.

matthewdanger
10-31-08, 19:40
Just out of curiosity, are the major component of the MBUS all plastic or are they plastic over some sort of metal skeleton?

Magsz
11-01-08, 12:07
Thats an interesting question.

I wouldnt be surprised if they're made out of the same stuff as their pmags, ie their proprietary wonder blend of polymers.

Im thinking that from a design standpoint it would probably be better if the MBUS is solid polymer since the strong point of the material is that its rigid to a certain extent but still able to flex just a bit to avoid bending or cracking.

If you've got polymer over metal i would imagine the polymer would eventually crack off of the metal frame since it wouldnt give as much as the plastic surrounding it.

Just my two cents, im by no means an engineer so if anyone wants to shed some more light on the materials and their properties, please do, i would love to read more about this!

Tactical_Machete
11-13-08, 19:33
Any chance the BUS will be out in time for the holidays? Im making my list and checking it twice and the MBUS is at the top of the list...

Thanks!
Machete

Seth Harness
11-13-08, 19:45

$100... WOW :eek:
I am definitely in!

Rotor Talker
11-14-08, 06:56
Subscribed, waiting on these before I change my sights.

Thanks for the info.

Bob

Robb Jensen
11-14-08, 07:03
I saw/handled/shot the ACR (with a Magpul BUIS) w/Drake in class this week.
The sight is pretty nice and very well designed.

28_days
11-15-08, 11:20
I hope they come soon. I've been waiting on sights for 2 months now in anticipation. Pretty soon I'm going to break down and get the Troys.

On the other hand the MBUS would go well with all of the other Magpul goodies adorning my BCM.

Legion_Prime
11-15-08, 16:53
What height is the front sight, is it A2 height? Is it for mounting on a railed forend or on a railed gasblock?

Vom Kriege
12-03-08, 01:06
I'm getting down to the nitty gritty on my AR. I have a kit on order that currently has a four railed gas block selected, but I have been considering changing that option for the gas block with the YHM front sight attached to save a little money on getting a set of BUIS.

Seeing this info about the Magpul sights is making that decision harder to make.

Any word on when the Magpul sights will be released yet?

Vom Kriege
12-04-08, 08:34
I just read elsewhere that the MBUS will be available at the SHOT show. I don't know whether or not it is true, but the attributed source was the Magpul vendor booth at a SWAT Roundup.

Buckaroo
12-04-08, 09:32
I just read elsewhere that the MBUS will be available at the SHOT show. I don't know whether or not it is true, but the attributed source was the Magpul vendor booth at a SWAT Roundup.

So, who is going? I'll send you a check so you can get mine for me while you are there! ;)

Vom Kriege
12-04-08, 13:26
So, who is going? I'll send you a check so you can get mine for me while you are there! ;)

LOL. I have a friend in the firearms industry that sometimes goes to the show. If he goes this year I will be after him to get me a set of the MBUS. :)

chadbag
12-04-08, 13:32

If so I don't think that means available to purchase at the SHOT show but available at the same time frame. The SHOT Show is a non-selling trade show and as I understand it vendors can get in big trouble if caught selling (versus taking orders) at the show though some still do it, especially at the end of the show to get rid of their demo stuff

AirmanAtwood
12-04-08, 14:33
I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT

Vom Kriege
12-04-08, 16:33
If so I don't think that means available to purchase at the SHOT show but available at the same time frame. The SHOT Show is a non-selling trade show and as I understand it vendors can get in big trouble if caught selling (versus taking orders) at the show though some still do it, especially at the end of the show to get rid of their demo stuff

Could be. Maybe the vendor meant that the sights would be available for dealer order at that time.

RichFitz
12-06-08, 00:25
Here are some sneak peeks of the final production units that are going through testing.

http://www.magpul.com/pics/mbus1.jpg

http://www.magpul.com/pics/mbus2.jpg

SeriousStudent
12-06-08, 00:41
Thanks for the pics, they really look nice! Did NickB shoot them?

And if you guys ever want to sell that SBR, let me know. :D

Pat.c
12-06-08, 15:55
Hmm will the XS CSAT sights work on there?

Outlander Systems
12-06-08, 18:12
Beautiful. I have a very good feeling these are going to be terrific. The action on the KRISS irons is impeccable.

Patience is the key, people. As with all things Magpul, the wait is worth it.

uspopo
12-07-08, 13:54
Those MBUS' are hot!! Can't wait for them to go into full production as I will need at least 2 sets..

FMF
12-07-08, 21:35
I get how the sights flip up...but what is that upper-forward most pin for? It almost looks as though the sight can be folded flat and then actually be flipped up again but at a greater height via rotating on that forward-most pin.

Or is it part of the rail locking mechanism?

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-07-08, 23:27
Arrrgghhh, everytime I see this post in the new box, I think they are ready to go!! Not that I'm complaining, crank out those Pmags and Col. stocks baby! Feel free to ramp up those lowers too. ;)

Stickman
12-09-08, 21:02
Here are some sneak peeks of the final production units that are going through testing.

That gun has sex appeal!

snakedoctor
12-09-08, 21:23

Rich,

If you send me a set I'll test the s#it out of them while I'm still in Iraq :p

SoDak
12-09-08, 22:25
Rich,

If you send me a set I'll test the s#it out of them while I'm still in Iraq :p

So that's how to get one. Magpul, if you send me a set i could do some good youtube torture tests. Run it over with a tractor, have it stampeded by cows, and run it through a grain auger.:D

I'll be interested to see how these sight perform when they finally come out. I hope to get a rear mbus to complete my rifle.

Rider79
12-11-08, 06:07
Arrrgghhh, everytime I see this post in the new box, I think they are ready to go!! Not that I'm complaining, crank out those Pmags and Col. stocks baby! Feel free to ramp up those lowers too. ;)

Magpul makes lowers?

Verbal Kint
12-11-08, 07:42
Magpul makes lowers?

In a word... no. lol. At least not for production/sales. There are a few in-house prototypes (I guess you could call them) that a select few have. But nothing that the end-user can get their hands on yet... if ever. Only time will tell.

ETA: Do a search and you'll turn up some photos and discussion on the lowers. Nice pieces for sure... but the guesstimated price tag, if ever produced, was quite hefty last I saw.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-11-08, 09:25
Magpul makes lowers?

Oh, crap! I don't want to be responsible for a rumor starting that magpul is going to make lowers again!! It was a joke, since people think that the AWB will prohibit them from selling them, I thought they should bring them out before they can't.

FMCDH

Stickman
12-15-08, 17:03
Magpul makes lowers?

Limited pieces, yes. When they will be available is the larger question.

St.Michael
12-22-08, 12:24
I don't want to crack and get Troys. I want these bad. Thank goodness I am broke.

MMG
02-23-09, 09:12
I'm giving this thread a bump in the hopes that some news might be attracted? Anxiously yet patiently waiting. I want a set, much like everybody else.

Stickman
02-23-09, 11:54
We are getting pretty close....

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8197%20A%201028%20Stick.jpg

Signel
03-03-09, 17:51
Still "soon" DrDrake?

EchoFox
03-16-09, 20:42
Any news here??

Stickman
03-16-09, 22:46
http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/0O2P1812-A-1028-Stick.jpg

thmpr
03-17-09, 00:31
I will take any Troy units off anyone.... Let me know.

geezerbutler
03-17-09, 18:12
Stick, the profile of those sights reminds me of the scarab beetle in Egytptian Mythology. COOL ...Can't wait to see 'em in person

I'm just sayin'

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_JAPdm6GhhJM/ScAr8ibKTPI/AAAAAAAAA0Y/_yhQjhC4J3Q/s400/ACF10C.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/0O2P1812-A-1028-Stick.jpg

Stickman
03-19-09, 00:11
I wouldn't have seen it unless you posted the picture. :)

Irish
03-25-09, 14:45
Here ya go! http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4187

EchoFox
03-25-09, 14:48
These are only the PTS ones, have been on ebay for a couple of weeks or so. ;)

dialM4murder
04-15-09, 18:05
And the MBUS sights still elude us.......

losbronces
04-15-09, 18:14
And the MBUS sights still elude us.......

DSG had some for about 2 hours...

MMG
04-15-09, 19:36
I got tired of waiting. Troy on the way.

dialM4murder
04-15-09, 22:15
My dealer has some coming in tmrw. I ordered a full set in black. $110 shipped.

Finally!!

Cagemonkey
04-25-09, 18:59
Is MAGPUL going to produce MOE handguards for mid length gas system carbines? If so, any idea on when they would hit the market. They sure would be nice to put on the Noveske middy I ordered from Rainier Arms. My mistake. I wanted to start a new thread.

Tactical_Machete
05-01-09, 00:01
and cue the tumble weed....now.
:rolleyes:

dialM4murder
05-01-09, 23:51
MBUS

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8573/0000050a.jpg

Mega
05-02-09, 17:31
Got mine today from AIM.

http://homepage.mac.com/kevinfarrell/.Pictures/Magpul%20MBUS/Photo%20Library%20-%20130.JPG

CarlosDJackal
05-06-09, 10:57
I received my rear MBUS from DSarms Monday night and promptly broke it while installing it on my SBR. What sucks is I was just tightening it to remove any play. I E-mailed MagPul that night and received a reply that it may be a week before I heard back from them. I guess I'm standing by to stand by!! :(

Signel
05-06-09, 11:07
That is one of two issues I found with them.

The bracket is small and would likely be the failure point just as you described. Also the sight appatures are kid of dirty (molding). that part has to be clean in my opinion since the purpose it to provide clear view for aiming.

It is not bad, but it just seems rough.

Overall, I am happy with the product for the price. Although, i've not had mine long enough to determine if it will hold a 0.

dialM4murder
05-06-09, 11:25
I received my rear MBUS from DSarms Monday night and promptly broke it while installing it on my SBR. What sucks is I was just tightening it to remove any play. I E-mailed MagPul that night and received a reply that it may be a week before I heard back from them. I guess I'm standing by to stand by!! :(

Over torqued the screw.:confused: It is plastic after all.

RichFitz
05-06-09, 11:54

The only way we have been able duplicate this failure in house is to over torque the mounting screw. It really needs very little torque to sufficiently tighten the screw and the pre-applied Nyloc patch will keep it from inadvertently loosening.

Once the screw encounters some resistance and 'stops' it only needs to be tightened another quarter turn or so, that's it.

In all future packaging we will include a little warning note to the affect.

In the meantime we of course will replace your sight with a new one. Our customer support guy, Justin, is on this.

Zeus
05-06-09, 12:06
Now that's support...

Sierrahotel83
05-06-09, 20:21
I know this is off subject but Zeus your signature gives me patriotic chills...:cool:

CarlosDJackal
05-06-09, 22:18
The only way we have been able duplicate this failure in house is to over torque the mounting screw. It really needs very little torque to sufficiently tighten the screw and the pre-applied Nyloc patch will keep it from inadvertently loosening.

Once the screw encounters some resistance and 'stops' it only needs to be tightened another quarter turn or so, that's it.

In all future packaging we will include a little warning note to the affect.

In the meantime we of course will replace your sight with a new one. Our customer support guy, Justin, is on this.

Thanks Rich. I did read the instructions prior to installation and did not find anything about how much to tighten it. I did not just torque down the screw all at once. What I did was tighten it down and check to see if the BUIS was still loose. I guess I did this one too many times.

Here is what it currently looks like:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/CarlosDJackal/MBUS01.jpg

Zeus
05-07-09, 00:10
I know this is off subject but Zeus your signature gives me patriotic chills...:cool:

It is what it is...

CarlosDJackal,

Let us know when you get your replacement... I'm interested in the "warning note" as I'm a 260 lb gorilla who never has problems with getting bolts "tight enough". However, this system REALLY fits in with my next build!

SoDak
05-08-09, 13:16
I just got mine and I'm glad someone has talked about the overtightening thing or I know I would have broke mine (being a farm boy means I make everything as tight as I can). It looks like a nice sight and I hope to give my mbus a workout since I'm just going to run it as my sighting system for a while. I know it's just supposed to be a BUIS, but I want to learn irons better and I like how much lighter my gun is without my red dot on it(I was using an aimpoint 9000sc with burris xtr rings).

ST911
05-08-09, 18:04
Interesting... I overtighten everything and have stripped more screws, holes, and the like than anyone I know. I have yet to break my MBUS, and I put them on and then some.

I'm not tracking the failures. Are there emerging trends in color, production date, etc?

PlatoCATM
05-08-09, 18:49
I haven't looked at the instructions yet, and I don't have them available, so is there a recommended torque value?

CarlosDJackal
05-13-09, 14:12
Heard from Justin at MagPul and am awaiting arrival of replacement and a return package for the damaged one.

You gotta hand it to MagPul, they do know the meaning of Customer Service. :)

CarlosDJackal
05-22-09, 13:09
MBUS came in last week and was installed onto the BCM 11.5-inch upper yesterday which, in turn, was installed onto my F/A converted SP1. I test fired it yesterday and had no issues (that I can tell). I have yet to zero it but I did adjust the windage on the MBUS enough so that the POI was directly below my target at 35-yards.

adh
05-22-09, 14:08
Any idea when they going to be available in FG

Chase G.
06-24-09, 15:41
MBUS are in stock now in FDE at www.bravocompanyusa.com if any of you are intrested.