PDA

View Full Version : Plate Carrier Advice Needed ASAP

Infidel1975
05-05-15, 14:25
I am 5' 9" with a 42" chest and a 35" waist. I weigh 190 lbs. I am purchasing a Crye Precision JPC and plates for a few upcoming classes and need help with getting the proper sizes. I am assuming a size large in the JPC and two large SAPI plates will fit pretty well but have never worn any plates or plate carriers before so I am just not sure. I found the large SAPI Plates at a dealer online for $270.00 each. They are 10.25x13.25 and 8.2 lbs. each. I am wondering if these are the proper size plates for my size and if the 8.2 lb. plates are the lightest plates I can find in the price range of $300.00 for each plate. 16 lbs. seems heavy to me but I really am new to body armor and do not have any prior experience to draw from.I chose the JPC for its low profile and minimalist qualities. I will be running three 5.56 magazines on the front,a Ifak on the left cummerbund and possibly a small hydration carrier on the rear but nothing more. Thanks in advance for any knowledge you guys can share with me to ensure I am getting the right size carrier and plates.

GTF425
05-05-15, 15:04
Measure from your collarbones to your belly button. That's how tall your plates need to be.

Infidel1975
05-05-15, 15:26
Measure from your collarbones to your belly button. That's how tall your plates need to be.

Thanks! I measured right at 13.5"s so the large 10.25 x 13.25 SAPI Plate is perfect. Is there a lighter plate with the same deminsions? The SAPI plates in a large that I am looking at weigh in at 8.2 lbs. each. Is that excessively heavy or is that pretty standard as far as SAPI plates are concerned. I don't mind spending a bit more if it means I am getting a lighter plate.

Treehopr
05-05-15, 19:40
I'm about the same size as you (I'm a little taller and fatter) and run size Medium or size Small plates.

I suspect size Large plates will interfere with your shoulders rolling forward, especially if they're true SAPI or ESAPI cut as opposed to Shooter's Cut plates. 8 lb plates are heavy, you can get decent stand alone ceramic plates that weigh less than that.

Also, are they stand alone plates or ICW (In Conjunction With soft armor) plates? If you need soft armor plate backers, that will add to the cost and weight.

In the past I've used Issued Interceptor Body Armor, Diamondback Tactical FAPC, Diamondback Tactical LoVis plate carrier, Mayflower APC, Mayflower LPAC and Tyr PICO plate carriers.

For the price of the JPC, you'd be better off with a size Medium Mayflower APC with 3 mag kangaroo insert and Blue Force Gear shoulder pads.

FWIW, I've got a set of Velocity Level 4 shooter's cut plates (http://www.velsyst.com/store/236/39/PSA4-Level-IV-Stand-Alone.html) I'm trying to sell for what I paid, PM me if you're interested.

turnburglar
05-09-15, 13:12
You won't be wearing the plates enough to complain about the weight.

What no one gas told you: the size on the carrier is typically the size of the plates it's meant to hold. Also double check that the carrier you want can take sapi plates at all. They are shaped a little different than shooters cut plates. Personally I'd just get a 10x12 and skip the sapi entirely.