PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Latch for Charging Handle

No Bananas
07-15-08, 05:29
What Tactical Latch for Charging Handle does evertyone recommend? I like how the Badger Ordnance generation 1 & 2 look. Is one better than the other?

rob_s
07-15-08, 06:01
I really like the latch from the Gas Buster. I use the GB on suppressed guns and the identical latch on a standard charging handle on the rest of my guns.

Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=8734&st=gas%20buster&s=) calls the latch the "Military Latch".

tiger seven
07-15-08, 06:13
I like the same one Rob is talking about: PRI's "Military Big Latch." I don't have a Gas Buster, but I have a standard charging handle fitted with the Big Latch on my 10.5" LMT. I will eventually have them on all my ARs.

Derek

Daveo
07-15-08, 06:38
Another vote for the PRI latch...it's big enough to hit without being HUGE.

Iraqgunz
07-15-08, 08:02
IMO, the Gen. I latches aren't that great and have a tendency to get caught on gear at the worst times. Gen. 2's are good and so is the PRI latch.

bullitt5172
07-15-08, 08:57
Another vote for the PRI "military" big latch.

The_War_Wagon
07-15-08, 11:01
Is there a latch that bolts on rather easily to POF's charger? :confused: I don't want to give up my electroless nickle charger!

Bob :cool:

rob_s
07-15-08, 11:09
Is there a latch that bolts on rather easily to POF's charger? :confused: I don't want to give up my electroless nickle charger!

Bob :cool:

Is the handle somehow different than a standard AR? If not, drive out the pin, slide new part in place, drive in new pin. Done.

I can't think of a way that you'd be able to reliably keep any other kind attached.

No Bananas
07-15-08, 21:33
Thanks, all. Think I'll go with the PRI big latch.

ThirdWatcher
07-16-08, 01:27
Just curious... is the "Gas Buster" useful? I don't recall ever experiencing "gas blowback". It has been over thirty years since I fired an M-16 (and now shoot AR-15s) and I was wondering under what circumstances you get gas blowback? (Of course, if this was a valid concern the cost would be justified.)

BushmasterFanBoy
07-16-08, 02:19
The PRI is the best of both worlds, large positive grasping surface, but the knob is straight so if it drags on gear, the gear will slide right off instead of getting caught up.

Daveo
07-16-08, 06:32
Just curious... is the "Gas Buster" useful? I don't recall ever experiencing "gas blowback". It has been over thirty years since I fired an M-16 (and now shoot AR-15s) and I was wondering under what circumstances you get gas blowback? (Of course, if this was a valid concern the cost would be justified.)

Blowback is primarily a concern on DI guns with a suppressor.

ThirdWatcher
07-16-08, 15:03
Thanks... I figured it must be a concern in a variation that I wasn't familiar with.

Jeffy
07-16-08, 15:16
Another vote for the PRI Big D.

Failure2Stop
07-17-08, 06:30
I was a fan of the Gen I Tac Latch, but found that it was prone to snagging. It was also unnecessary due to my charging method. The Gen II was less prone to snagging, and just as redundant. However, if you are a big fan of the knife-hand charging method this is pretty much the only way to reduce the possibility of breaking the CH, or if done improperly, assist in breaking the CH.

I like the Big Latch for use under optics, it is also less prone to snagging.