PDA

View Full Version : Brownells new a1 barrel

81mmcat
05-06-15, 17:59
I know this is a new barrel any one have one yet or have any thoughts about it?

Renegade04
05-08-15, 17:11
I know of a couple guys that have used them already. They seem to be just fine. They do come with the .625" FSB, which is a plus. AR15Sport has a 20" A1 barrel with a .625" FSB and they have been well received. The AR15Sport barrel is a few dollars cheaper. The AR15Sport barrel does have M4 feed ramps, whereas the Brownells barrel does not. This matters to some.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-20-a1-rifle-length-barrel-chrome-lined-1-12-sku100016584-77794-159342.aspx

http://shop.ar15sport.ihoststores.com/productinfo_v3.aspx?productid=BARREL-20LWT12

Wake27
05-08-15, 18:33
The barrel is one of like three components that will make a big difference in your rifle. Why gamble?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renegade04
05-08-15, 18:38
The barrel is one of like three components that will make a big difference in your rifle. Why gamble?

To what gamble are you referring?

CAR-AR-M16
05-08-15, 21:46
I know of a couple guys that have used them already. They seem to be just fine. They do come with the .625" FSB, which is a plus. AR15Sport has a 20" A1 barrel with a .625" FSB and they have been well received. The AR15Sport barrel is a few dollars cheaper. The AR15Sport barrel does have M4 feed ramps, whereas the Brownells barrel does not. This matters to some.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-20-a1-rifle-length-barrel-chrome-lined-1-12-sku100016584-77794-159342.aspx

http://shop.ar15sport.ihoststores.com/productinfo_v3.aspx?productid=BARREL-20LWT12

I wish Brownells would not use "F" marked front sight bases as A1's did not have these.

Renegade04
05-08-15, 22:01
I wish Brownells would not use "F" marked front sight bases as A1's did not have these.

They still work well with A1 rear sights.

CAR-AR-M16
05-08-15, 22:15

Yes, but I am speaking strictly about using these for an authentic A1 clone build.

Wake27
05-08-15, 22:27
To what gamble are you referring?

The gamble of trying a relatively new and unproven product.

Renegade04
05-09-15, 08:10
Yes, but I am speaking strictly about using these for an authentic A1 clone build.

I agree with you. To build an authentic clone would be to use as many original and/or correct parts as you are possibly able. Many retro builders these days just want to build something that looks like the real thing. As long as it is close, they are happy. The XM16E1 and M16A1 clone builds I am working on right now will have original barrel assemblies. One is a C MP C barrel and the other is a C MP B. The stocks, handguards, pistol grips, and most everything else I am using are original parts. The receivers are about the only repro parts, but they are correct repros. If someone really wants to use an original/correct .625" FSB, they can get a barrel from Green Mountain and have a competent gunsmith install it. They just have to make sure they do not have the FSB misaligned when the drill it for the taper pins. One guy I know of recently bought one of the Brownells 1-12 barrels for his 605 build. One of the guys on another forum removed the forge flashing and markings from the FSB, cut down the barrel, opened up the gas port to .110", pinned and welded the 3-prong FH, and refinished it. From all appearances, it looks correct and it looks great. As you are most likely aware, a person has to be satisfied with their retro AR. Many spend years accumulating all original parts to use and that is what they like to do. Other will try their best to get original parts, but will settle for repro parts. Their goal is to build a retro, but not a correct clone. I have a few like this. Like me, many do not have the funds to build authentic clones. I applaud the guys that do. I am proud of every single retro AR I have, as I am sure you are. So, having a "F" marked FSB may not be a big deal to many. The AR15Sport barrels are well known on another forum and the Brownells barrels are beginning to show their heads. They are still new, but the couple that I know of that are using them are giving them a thumbs up.

Renegade04
05-09-15, 08:21
The gamble of trying a relatively new and unproven product.

True, the Brownells new 20" 1-12 barrels are new to the market. They are slowly showing up on another forum. So far, they have had good reviews from a couple of users there. A lot of guys will try and source original barrels as best they can. I do. Sometimes, you have to settle with a repro barrel. When AR15Sport came out with their 20" 1-12 barrel a couple years ago, many were skeptical. Then guys started to use them. Now, they are recommended to anyone looking for a repro barrel. Since Brownells recently release theirs, some are trying them. As I mentioned in my post above, one guy I know of used a Brownells barrel for his 605 build. Since the barrel was being cut down, he did not want to use an original barrel. Also, an original barrel can cost anywhere from $275-$400 depending on when it was made and by whom. With a lot more guys getting into the retro AR world now, it is harder to find original parts and they have to resort to repro parts.

With any new products, there is a gamble. Heck, every time you walk out your front door and get into your car, you take a gamble. Sometimes gambles pay off and sometimes not. When it comes to Brownells new repro barrel, I would not consider it much of a gamble at this point. I would not hesitate to buy one if I needed to and I may be doing just that when I build my 605 clone.

gagekko
07-05-15, 00:25

May be true but a retro A1 with a "F" stamp fsb is like putting a Colt barrel on a FN receiver. They are both quality parts and it will work but something just feels wrong =P

Renegade04
07-05-15, 07:40
May be true but a retro A1 with a "F" stamp fsb is like putting a Colt barrel on a FN receiver. They are both quality parts and it will work but something just feels wrong =P

The other option is to find an original Colt barrel assembly or a 20" 1/12 barrel without the FSB and buy an original .625" FSB and have it installed. Most retro purist will find an original barrel that is correct for the build. Many that are just getting into retros are satisfied to just have the correct look and not so much all of the correct parts. I am working on a 605 build right now. I have the choice of getting an original Colt barrel assembly and have it cut down to the proper length (15") for the 605. My other options are to get the Brownells 20" 1/12 pencil barrel or the AR15Sport 20" 1/9 pencil barrel. Any of these would have to be cut down, so why not buy the closest thing (Brownells) and have the correct barrel profile, correct twist, and the proper diameter FSB. The fact the it is "F" marked is not issue for me since that would be removed anyway.

CAR-AR-M16
07-05-15, 09:40
According to Brownells, they are sourcing the correct FSB for their future barrels. They are also looking at providing them with the proper front site post and flat slipring.

BUBBAGUNS
07-05-15, 10:01

The government does this all the time. I seen colt uppers A2/A3 with replacement FN barrels. They shot the same.

Renegade04
07-05-15, 12:03
According to Brownells, they are sourcing the correct FSB for their future barrels. They are also looking at providing them with the proper front site post and flat slipring.

This will be a very good thing.