PDA

View Full Version : any negative to removing mount for every cleaning?

Wichard20
07-15-08, 10:29
Hey All,

Looking to pick up an aimpoint in a larue any day now. Question question about removal/installation. Is the larue mount made to be taken off/reinstalled often without causing wear and tear on the rail, lost of tightness, etc? I ask because I dont use a cleaning stand or anything and break the gun into two halves to clean. Rather then worry about knocking the optics while I clean I plan to just remove the optics and reinstall. The only downside could be a slight loss of zero if I did not install in the exact location that I see, but wanted to get your all opinion. I see a lot of people will keep the optic installed, espically when you only remove the rear takedown pin and put it on a stand. But when I clean, I am moving the upper around to get angles and stuff to clean with qtips and stuff. Dont want to worry about knocking the optic or getting oil somewhere it does not belong.

-Rich

ST911
07-15-08, 10:54
Freddie Blish throws mounted Aimpoints around, removing and replacing them. See the videos on downrange TV.

I remove mine for various things (demo, testing, etc), but not routine cleaning.

Make a witness mark on the receiver and mount so that it's returned to the same location.

The Aimpoint in a LT mount is a great choice.

Wichard20
07-15-08, 11:43
thanks for the info, I will check that video out. Yeah after reading all the positive posts here about Larue/Aimpoint that was the deciding factor for me.

CarlosDJackal
07-16-08, 19:45
I remove my optics every time I clean my rifle without any negative effect (that I've noticed). In fact, I took my T-1 off the Larue LT660 mount and installed it on a Daniel Defense offset mount to do a test. I then installed that on ,my SBR and shot it that way. I found that I did not like shooting an optic offset and removed it from that mount and put it back onto the Larue mount. It was stored in a soft case until the class last weekend when I decided to use it in lieu of my NF scope. I was very surprised that it still retained zero after all of that!! YMMV.

Failure2Stop
07-17-08, 06:53
I really hate removing optics once zeroed. That's just the old school showing through. LaRue mounts have demonstrated ridiculous return to zero after literally hundreds of mounts/dismounts.

I have no experience on ADM, though from what I have heard here they are groovy.

Most standard mounts do not demonstrate the same return to zero, though apparently the Aimpoint does (no personal experience with the new ones).

Still, I don't like taking them off unless I have a good reason. I said I was old-school, used to be if you looked at your mount wrong you lost zero.

Robb Jensen
07-17-08, 06:59
I too hate to remove magnified optics for cleaning regardless of who makes the mount (w/Aimpoints I'm not so worried). I just usually try to be careful and keep the optic above the upper when cleaning. We have one of the rifle stands at work which makes it easy.

Wichard20
07-17-08, 07:34
thanks for all the chime ins, so far it seems it is more of a zero issue then a wear and tear issue so I give it a shot and see

thanks,
rich