PDA

View Full Version : Top federal court rules against NSA's phone records program / Patriot Act

7.62NATO
05-07-15, 11:43
Finally, a ruling in favor of liberty.

A federal court has decided that the National Security Agency’s bulk, warrantless collection of millions of Americans’ phone records is illegal.

That program “exceeds the scope of what Congress has authorized,” Judge Gerard Lynch wrote on behalf of the three-judge panel.

The law “cannot be interpreted in a way that defies any meaningful limit,” he added.

Additionally, the government’s rationale behind the program represents “a monumental shift in our approach to combating terrorism,” which was not grounded in a clear explanation of the law.

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/241305-top-court-rules-against-nsa-program

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-07-15, 12:03
ISIS will hit us and we'll all be forced to turn in transcripts of our calls, and CC on emails the NSA to save them time.

VooDoo6Actual
05-07-15, 12:36
Liberty is a demand, Tyranny is submission.

Vandal
05-07-15, 13:36
Too bad the NSA will either find a way around the ruling or just refuse to stop recording. The Patriot Act needs to go away.

Eurodriver
05-07-15, 14:45
Too bad the NSA will either find a way around the ruling or just refuse to stop recording. The Patriot Act needs to go away.

Exactly.

Since when does the NSA give a shit what the courts or even te law says?

That's why they are so pissed at Snowden. Not because he outed them about what they are doing, but because he outed that they do whatever they want without regulation.

Doc Safari
05-07-15, 14:49
So, the NSA will appeal to the Supreme Court and they will threaten one or more members with revealing their meta-data if they vote against the NSA.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-07-15, 15:40
So, the NSA will appeal to the Supreme Court and they will threaten one or more members with revealing their meta-data if they vote against the NSA.

Oh, fun game! Let's play which SCOTUSer has the freakiest metadata!!! I go with Soto-Mayer or Thomas.... Please no Ginsberg sexts...

Doc Safari
05-07-15, 15:49
Oh, fun game! Let's play which SCOTUSer has the freakiest metadata!!! I go with Soto-Mayer or Thomas.... Please no Ginsberg sexts...

It's Roberts. He was the deciding vote that approved Obamacare, and right up to the wire he was being touted as leaning against it.

jpmuscle
05-07-15, 16:15
So they ruled against it saying it went beyond that which was authorized by congress. Not exactly the same as saying it's unconstitutional. I don't give a damn if it was fully authorized within it's scope of intent. It's all BS.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-07-15, 16:29
So they ruled against it saying it went beyond that which was authorized by congress. Not exactly the same as saying it's unconstitutional. I don't give a damn if it was fully authorized within it's scope of intent. It's all BS.

The way I understand it is that the constitutionality of it would be a second bite at the apple if the authorization gets approved- or Congress changes the law.

Moose-Knuckle
05-08-15, 01:26
Now if the Federal Government only obeyed the law . . .

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-10-15, 11:31
I thought this was interesting.

https://theweek.com/articles/547119/simple-math-problem-that-blows-apart-nsas-surveillance-justifications

Makes me wonder even more how they ever catch anyone.

Iraqgunz
05-10-15, 14:08
Everyone is so cynical. We have plenty of checks and balances in place to ensure the NSA, IRS and others obey the law and don't violate the rights of its subjects.

jpmuscle
05-10-15, 14:21
Everyone is so cynical. We have plenty of checks and balances in place to ensure the NSA, IRS and others obey the law and don't violate the rights of its subjects.

Nonsense, what difference does it make anyways?

Honu
05-10-15, 14:29
its for our protection :)

like the Boston bombers or the recent guys in Texas and so many others ! you know they are keeping us safe !

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-10-15, 15:11

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or if I'm being to cynical?? Or am I being sarcastic and....

Iraqgunz
05-11-15, 05:17
In other words. If you aren't doing anything illegal or plotting with terrorists you shouldn't have any concerns about all of your communications being monitored.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or if I'm being to cynical?? Or am I being sarcastic and....

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-11-15, 06:07
In other words. If you aren't doing anything illegal or plotting with terrorists you shouldn't have any concerns about all of your communications being monitored.

I'm less sure now, like why have a Fourth Amendment?

It's not like any govt agency has ever been used for illegal partisan activity then lied about it, covered it up and it has taken years to get any kind of remedy or accountability in the courts.

jpmuscle
05-11-15, 06:55
The sarcasm is strong in this thread. Good show gents.