PDA

View Full Version : PSA. How to Survive a Home Invasion, Ch2 Houston

Ready.Fire.Aim
05-08-15, 07:46
Interesting that a metropolitan TV station ran a how-to story on how to survive a home invasion.

KPRC Channel 2 Houston advices how to keep an additional handgun stored in a safe room for your wife. Also why to create a fatal funnel and let the attackers come to you.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/how-to-protect-yourself-your-family-in-the-event-of-a-home-invasion/32807256

I couldn't imagine a NYC news station running this story.

FYI-Col Bernard McCabe is a former SOFD-D commander.

Have fun
RFA

murphman
05-08-15, 08:11
I am quite surprised even being in Texas that a news station would advise this these days, I guess I can be proud of my local news station.

Onyx Z
05-08-15, 08:56
I heard about this, but I didn't watch it. Thanks for the link!

Averageman
05-08-15, 09:23
That was good.
I think the biggest weakness in homes being built today is that for the most part, Mom and Dad live on one side of the house and the kids are either upstairs or on the other side of the house.
For the most part it is going to require the home owner to move outside of his comfort zone/Ambush Site/ saferoom, to secure everyone in the house before they are scooped up by the bad guys.

SteyrAUG
05-08-15, 14:06
Couldn't navigate past the giant "Sign Up For Our Newsletter" nonsense.

Moose-Knuckle
05-09-15, 00:29
Meh, this is TX after all. The story should have read like this . . .

"KPRC Channel 2 Houston advices how to keep an additional suppressed SBR stored in a safe room for your wife . . . "

:jester:

Shorts
05-09-15, 07:03
Hah more like, "Decide from the 7 rifles, 3 shotguns or 14 handguns to arm yourself and stand guard at the door in a protected position".

ETA: There are many home invader calls to police from frantic residents. How, in this day people choose to remain unarmed is beyond me. The firearm has become such a political football that people have forgotten it is actually a useful tool.

Hopefully as this video rolls, people mentally rehearse their plan of action in their house. Perhaps plant that seed of "get trained and get armed" if they aren't already.

El Vaquero
05-09-15, 10:02
Houston is the armpit of Texas (no offense to the good folks that do live there). Got worse after Katrina. A few years back I had a good friend who's aunt was murdered in Houston on a home invasion. Thankfully they took her car which had Onstar and they were able to locate it and catch the scumbags.

ColtSeavers
05-09-15, 10:48
That was good.
I think the biggest weakness in homes being built today is that for the most part, Mom and Dad live on one side of the house and the kids are either upstairs or on the other side of the house.
For the most part it is going to require the home owner to move outside of his comfort zone/Ambush Site/ saferoom, to secure everyone in the house before they are scooped up by the bad guys.

Agreed completely. Between 'good enough' construction and no thought towards protection, way too many homes are very difficult to allow people 'hold up and sit tight'. My home is a perfect example. The layout is impossible for home defense. It is a concession I knowingly made however, as the house had everything else we wanted, especially location. So we have to rely that much more heavily on the 'layers of defense' since we are minus a final safe hold out. Despite being in a good part of town, in a (generally) good town and our dog, I have gotten those metal door frame inserts to help protect against kick-ins and have a dowel rod fitted for/in the sliding plexi-glass door track. The last line of defense can only be having another gun nearby. It's not something I hope or even expect to have happen, but I am aware of it and try to address it regardless. A security system is also planned to be installed as well, though I must admit to having failed miserably in not doing so yet.

Moose-Knuckle
05-09-15, 22:32
The kid's rooms are on the other side of the house as with most homes and this is done for a reason, we only have one child currently and he is an infant so he sleeps in our room next to our bed. When he is older and sleeps in his own room he'll have our 100lb GSD to keep him warm at night. Any threats will be located and engaged by myself and or my wife as we make our way to his room to secure him. No way in hell am I going to allow any one to have the run of the house while I sit back and wait.

TacticalSledgehammer
05-09-15, 22:58
That home's setup is similar to mine. I also have an infant that sleeps in the same room as we do, but she'll be going in her room (beside ours at the end of the hall) here soon. I see mention of a safe room and have thought about installing a steel frame with a steel door in our hall way. This would isolate the bedrooms from the rest of the house.

ClearedHot
05-10-15, 02:36
The kid's rooms are on the other side of the house as with most homes and this is done for a reason, we only have one child currently and he is an infant so he sleeps in our room next to our bed. When he is older and sleeps in his own room he'll have our 100lb GSD to keep him warm at night. Any threats will be located and engaged by myself and or my wife as we make our way to his room to secure him. No way in hell am I going to allow any one to have the run of the house while I sit back and wait.

Dogs are a great early warning system. Our GSD is extremely alert and starts barking as soon as she hears anyone approaching the front door.

murphman
05-10-15, 07:42
Houston is the armpit of Texas (no offense to the good folks that do live there). Got worse after Katrina. A few years back I had a good friend who's aunt was murdered in Houston on a home invasion. Thankfully they took her car which had Onstar and they were able to locate it and catch the scumbags.

I like Houston but unfortunately I will have to agree. This is why Perry after Katrina signed into law that your vehicle is an extension of your house so you can carry a loaded firearm in it without the need of a CHL. All the Katrina scum came here and didn't go back and crime shot up significantly. It took one of my friends having a guy murdered a few blocks down while his kids were stuffed in a closet to decide it was time to get a gun. This was all in what appeared to be a decent looking suburb. I have even witnessed people hear say they have a CHL but don't feel the need to use and my reflexes nearly make me punch them in the face. I guess they think scum bag is going to walk up and say hey 5 minutes from now I am going to pull a knife on you and if you don't give me your wallet I am going to stick you, just a heads up bro.

Averageman
05-10-15, 10:50
I like Houston but unfortunately I will have to agree. This is why Perry after Katrina signed into law that your vehicle is an extension of your house so you can carry a loaded firearm in it without the need of a CHL. All the Katrina scum came here and didn't go back and crime shot up significantly. It took one of my friends having a guy murdered a few blocks down while his kids were stuffed in a closet to decide it was time to get a gun. This was all in what appeared to be a decent looking suburb. I have even witnessed people hear say they have a CHL but don't feel the need to use and my reflexes nearly make me punch them in the face. I guess they think scum bag is going to walk up and say hey 5 minutes from now I am going to pull a knife on you and if you don't give me your wallet I am going to stick you, just a heads up bro.

I took a vacation in New Orleans last summer. It was clean orderly, safe and fun and when I discussed how different it seemed with a local LEO over a couple of drinks he said "Katrina drove most of the scum bags out of the city."

TAZ
05-10-15, 14:19
I took a vacation in New Orleans last summer. It was clean orderly, safe and fun and when I discussed how different it seemed with a local LEO over a couple of drinks he said "Katrina drove most of the scum bags out of the city."

TX made a HUGE mistake in making the Katrina dumbasses comfortable. Being bumped to be top of the free housing list and having people go out of their way to give them more free shit than they had in the great chocolate city had a very negative impact all I've the state, not just Houston. The FSA in TX gained a lot more members that didn't see a need to leave once things got settled in NOLA. Not saying that we need to be rude or uncivilized in face of people needing help, but the help needs to be temporary. If they find jobs and such while on their temporary visit and make a go of it so be it. Otherwise back you go when temporary ends.

As for the article, it was grew to see one media outlet not treat guns like Ebola. The strategies they discussed were valid IMO, but they didn't account for new home design flaws. My home and almost every one in our price range have he same layout. Master on one side and secondary bedrooms on another. Didn't want a 2 story, but even there often they are on different levels. Guess there is only so much you can cover in a 3 min segment. In my case my son (10yo) is across the home as in my MIL so they can hunker down in any of the 2 bedrooms and I can over watch their position from the Master. Thankfully my living and dining area are relatively open so I have a clean field of vision. Both have been drilled to get as low as possible so I can engage COM without worrying about misses or pass through's hitting them. It's not ideal, but it's the best we can do. Sadly until we can step up into a custom / semi custom we can't change the layout.