PDA

View Full Version : "Custom" upper...

TigerStripe
09-27-06, 20:46
I'm looking to build a new AR-type. Not a custom build like some of you have, but pretty custom for me. I have narrowed it down to two configurations one of which will be built on my Sundevil lower.

16" WOA middy
DD 10.0 Lite
A decent gas block
Samson front Buis -
ARMS 40L rear buis SP
FA BCG and charging handle
Phantom

or

LMT 16 0r 14.5
DD 7.0 Lite
FA BCG and charging handle
ARMS 40L SP

Thoughts?

TIA,

TS

nickdrak
09-28-06, 00:56
The first one sounds really nice, and I think a LaRue billet upper would match up with your SD lower perfectly

SuicideHz
09-28-06, 08:41
Number One is nice. It will look almost as custom as "custom" gets. Throw an Vltor gas block in there with the pretty logo on the front of it. Hell, throw that barrel on an Vltor upper and you'll have this, basically:

http://suicidehz.zoto.com/img/800x600x1/d410c4d027a8b408dbb90b92f5169591-.jpg

That's a 16" WOA SS middy and my DD12.0FSPM is cut down to about 10-1/8" so you have a rough idea of the amount of barrel you'll get- just ignore the FSB. I personally like the A2.

Of course, I'm biased.

RyanS
09-29-06, 13:49
TS,

Just received my LMT complete upper sort of in the same configuration as your second one. I went with the LT 7.0 though. From all outward appearances, it promises to be a very nice upper. The proof will be in shooting which I intend to do tomorrow.

I've also been contemplating a build using a mid-length barrel. I'm at the point where I'm trying to figure out which barrel I would like to use. There seems to be a good selection out there and I was wondering why you chose WOA over something like a Noveske, Lilja, or Compass Lake Engineering. I ask not because I doubt the WOA barrel, but rather because I don't know.

TigerStripe
09-29-06, 15:05
TS,

Just received my LMT complete upper sort of in the same configuration as your second one. I went with the LT 7.0 though. From all outward appearances, it promises to be a very nice upper. The proof will be in shooting which I intend to do tomorrow.

I've also been contemplating a build using a mid-length barrel. I'm at the point where I'm trying to figure out which barrel I would like to use. There seems to be a good selection out there and I was wondering why you chose WOA over something like a Noveske, Lilja, or Compass Lake Engineering. I ask not because I doubt the WOA barrel, but rather because I don't know.

I prefer M4 type weapons, such as the one you just built. Stickman has a middy I've been lusting after. The middy build I'm looking at is the same as his except mine would have a DD 10.0 Lite and his has a 12.0 Lite. He says it's a pleasure to shoot and that it's accurate. If I can get good accuracy out of a $280 WOA barrel, I see no point in spending $380-$500 on a Noveske, etc. That and I don't make much money. I don't know if he means sub-MOA accuracy or not. I want very good practical accuracy, if it will shoot sub-MOA, that's better but not necessary.

TS