PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Handheld GPS Thoughts/ Help

Jellybean
05-09-15, 14:19
Gents;

I'm planning a purchase of a handheld GPS for outdoor use (ie, not a vehicle GPS), and want some current info from the M4C crowd. Last thread I saw here on this was a few years back, so...

I'm pretty much split between the GPSMAP 64 (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/handhelds/gpsmap-64/prod140020.html)
Or the eTrex 20 (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/handhelds/etrex-20/prod87771.html

They're both not to unreasonably priced, and both have features that I want- AA battery powered, color display.

I did the "compare" option on the Garmin website, and aside from size and battery life, they look very similar...
I could give less of a damn about the geocaching features, but I DO want to able to load these with actual Topo maps, and apparently these are available from Garmin.

Now, for the folks here that have these sort of things, what is the real difference between these two?
Aside from more memory and some other minor things is the 64 worth the extra $60-ish bucks?
-How are these as far as durability? Anyone stomped one or dumped it in a river?
-Reception/connectivity to satellites? I'm assuming the 64 is better at this... ?
-How about interactivity? Easy to use controls/menus, that sort of thing?
-Are the Garmin Topo maps any good? I want to see a picture like an actual map gives you not that awful google-earth style "satellite view" :bad:
Or at least... as an alternate option to the google earth view, if the GPS already has maps on it like that.

>Side note- I am not interested in using a cellphone for this.

*If this is not the place I'm sure the Mods will feel free to move it... :o

GH41
05-09-15, 15:10
No experience with either of those but I ran a Montana for 3+ years. The larger screen is worth the added expense. Unless Garmin has changed the topo and bird's eye maps they suck!!! I'll bet they will be more useless on the smaller screen. Some of the Bird's eye views in my area were 30 years old.

jmoney
05-09-15, 15:20
get the st version, i think it is actually pre-loaded with too maps. I had a 62t for a very long time, it worked well. I bought a 64 when they came out and it has worked even better.

tb-av
05-10-15, 18:16
I have a 62. You can have multiple maps either enabled or disabled on it at the same time.

http://gpstracklog.com/2009/09/free-gps-topo-maps.html

Display is nice and my eyesight is not that great.

There is a video somewhere on YT where a guy lost his 6x in a creek for a day or so and when he pulled it out it was fine.

Can't say I stomped on it yet. Picks up good. Batteries don't last all that long but ok.

On mine you can't attach an external antenna.... some you can. I got the 62SC because REI had one on a deep discount one day... I grabbed it and the next thing I knew the sale was gone.

I'm not great with a GPS so take with grain of salt but I like it. The other GPS I had was the 12XL which was handheld for boating... this is waaaaaaay better. You can do a lot of cistomizing as to how it operates. Like say you are on a road and will have to follow roads. Well you stick it in automobile mode... going off road... change to hiking mode.... many was to configure it to display the info you would want for whatever it is you are doing.

There are a ton of videos on youtube.. .just type garmin gps 62... the 64 must be the newer version but they must be fairly similar... Also gpscity.com has good info. I too had hard time figuring out all the differences. They don't make it easy.

tb-av
05-10-15, 18:25
get the st version, i think it is actually pre-loaded with too maps. I had a 62t for a very long time, it worked well. I bought a 64 when they came out and it has worked even better.

Be aware they preload with 100K Topo... Not the 24K Topo..... unless they have changed......

TMS951
05-10-15, 18:49
Be aware they preload with 100K Topo... Not the 24K Topo..... unless they have changed......

I have a gpsmap 62 and love it. Great battery life and great signal strenth.

I purchased the 24k topo for my AO. They are great, but as i remember cost more than the unit. I bought this unit specifically for the 24k map capability so I knew the cost going in.

jmoney
05-10-15, 21:19

Yep, I have the 24s for the areas I use it in frequently. The new ones are pretty good.

tb-av
05-11-15, 19:45
Oh BTW, if you get the 64 and decide to run it off your cig lighter in your car to save battery. You need to switch the mode on it... I forget what it's called but you have modes for hooking to computer and such. I think you need to put it in that mode.... IOW... it's not obvious. You would think, ok, plug cable in and done.... but you have to be sure the mode is correct or it will still be running off batteries. Now maybe there have have been some firmware updates to make this easier I don't know, but if you try to run off car and your batteries run down, it's just a setting that needs to be changed.

Jellybean
05-11-15, 20:32

Hence why I chose the standard 64 to compare with.
Save money now, add better maps later. :D

...There are a ton of videos on youtube.. .just type garmin gps 62... the 64 must be the newer version but they must be fairly similar... Also gpscity.com has good info. I too had hard time figuring out all the differences. They don't make it easy.

Yes, the 64 is the new version.
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the 62 is discontinued.

Honu
05-11-15, 20:36
had a oregon and barely used it as I found my phone was easier better in most all ways ? I know you asked no phone :) but that was my reality but I tend to do 4x4 exploring and all the folks mostly use ipads now for that 4x4 stuff
so my use was a bit more mobile based than hand held

better topo for sure as you are aware to get so added cost or up the model which I had on the oregon and as I remember no issues really with it other than limited screen size was really annoying
to me the oregon battery issue was not long enough so I think today I would go for more battery life
way points never had a issue same with bread crumbs and used a external memory so unless there is a issue with limited memory of the etrex model ? would find out on some of the GPS forums any other strange gotcha bugs that might hit you for the use you want

durability never had issues but mine never took a dunk ? but held up fine and never showed any wear form kids playing with it either
menus ? a bit of typical backing out and then diving in so felt the menus were old feeling compared to newer electronics but that is OK they are a specialized device
the size for me got old and I did like the oregon for no sticky up things to catch if I had it in a pocket etc... but not a huge deal
only a few times and trying to remember did it take a while to get a sat signal if I remember back in some super heavy woods was one time and somewhere else but it was more like move around and a minute later boom was going so never anything that was serious even in valleys in AZ cant remember any instance ever that made me mad was minimal so going to say sat signal was fine no issues :)
again most of mine was 4x4 then hike around the rig area a bit

as noted old maps for sat images and with the base topo I had before upgrade not enough detail

if I was to do it again I would for sure not scrimp on the money and spend a bit more to make sure I got what was going to do the job so if you want the one that is $60 more just do it
but get to REI or someplace and get some hands on that was one thing that made me go with the oregon when I had it :)

will be curious if you get it and use it write up a quick review :)