PDA

View Full Version : Custom glock backplates, distraction?

9mmSMG
05-09-15, 15:21
I've never noticed this before, but I was thinking about adding a custom backplate to a G19 and my buddy handed me his. Does anyone find that it is kind of distracting? The second I draw and align the gun my eyes are not drawn to the front sight but rather the image on the back plate. Has anyone ever noticed this? It's safe to say I'm going to avoid adding one.

shutup&shoot
05-09-15, 15:37
I've handled one with a punisher skull. I found it distracting as well. It's an upgrade I won't do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9mmSMG
05-09-15, 15:38
I couldn't believe how badly it drew my eye.

six8
05-09-15, 16:12
I picked up a used G17 that has a skull on it. Never notice it while I'm shooting. Couldn't care less either way

9mmSMG
05-09-15, 16:17
I think for me target shooting it would be fine, but drawing from concealment and aiming with any speed I just locked right into the backplate. If it were subdued it wouldn't be an issue for me, but man my eye tracks right into the white of it.

Hmac
05-09-15, 16:54
Nobody thinks that it's just lame?

9mmSMG
05-09-15, 16:56
Well it's purely for looks, so everyone's tastes vary. I could do without ever seeing another punisher skull though. That said if it takes away from function, it's a no go for me.

mkmckinley
05-09-15, 16:57
They're dumb on three levels. One, they cost money to replace an OEM part that works with pretty much 100% reliability, two, they pull your eye off the front sight, and three they aren't going to help in a courtroom, should it ever come to that. Upside?

9mmSMG
05-09-15, 16:58
Yeah, I wasn't going to do a death dealer back plate. I wanted a cheeseburger one haha. No court would convict.

Kain
05-09-15, 17:49
I personally think they are ****ing stupid. Just above the morons who want to port the things with Dewalts and polish the slide to a mirror shine removing all of the factory finish.

And before anyone decides to jump me here, I am all for personal style/color choice. FDE, OD green, or what have you. But some things just exude the wrong vibe to me and as has already been stated, it serves no purpose. Painting or color furniture can be articulated to have a practical purpose.

quackhead
05-10-15, 13:08
There are others with the flag and less "aggressive" themes. I don't recommend them as I've had to beat an out of spec one off of a buddy's slide. Checked a couple others, and they were all the same- these were ordered from Brownells( don't remember name brand)

GNXII
05-10-15, 14:51
Funny, I recently bought a never used set of G19/G26 pistols. Both had NiB slides standard black polymer frame, that the previous owner "pimped" out with aftermarket stainless slide release, all manner of sights, any and all type of useless "bling" including a back plate that said something cute like "smile, wait for flash' on the G26 and zombie something on the G19. I fired the guns once with all the flashy parts installed but didn't notice the backplates because of the 3 ring circus going on with everything else, i.e. extended ported bbl, mag release dropping mags for no reason, etc. I stripped everything off and went Trijicon HDs, Vickers slide stop, Vickers mag release and a bunch of standard parts were reinstalled including the backplates. Luckily he had saved all those "plain jane" parts and had done zero "surgery" to frames or slides but as he said that was next in line on his to do list for those guns. I sold all those "bling" parts but absolutely no one wanted those "custom " back plates at all!

brickboy240
05-11-15, 10:50
I think any image on the back of a Glock slide would be a huge distraction.

Won't do it....sorry.

Besides...it really brings nothing to the table....so off my gun it stays.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
05-11-15, 11:30
I have one that I had custom done. I hit it with some alumiblack. I dont find it distracting at all.

*edit to add mine doesn't have some whitty saying or skull. Just says my holster companies name.

WickedWillis
05-11-15, 12:11
They're dumb on three levels. One, they cost money to replace an OEM part that works with pretty much 100% reliability, two, they pull your eye off the front sight, and three they aren't going to help in a courtroom, should it ever come to that. Upside?

This was what I was going to post as well.

Heavy Metal
05-11-15, 13:34
LAV says they are a no-go because they draw the eye away from the sights and threat.

Jpoe88
05-11-15, 15:09

#lameashell #mallninja #whywouldyouever

I think it's exceptionally lame. So I'm at the range and this cadet cap, air max wearing, tap out guy has a glock with a reaper on the back plate. Lame. Forgive me for my basketball shorts and flip flops and my xd9.

Super distracting even if you aren't shooting it. I couldn't stop staring. I was like oh man that's so cool. And then I realized that my 3 year old wanted me to paint his orange cap gun last week FDE, so I checked back into reality and decided that is rather have another box of ammo.

Stipple a cheeseburger on the grip.

jck397
05-11-15, 17:11
I was going to get a Punisher skull, just so everyone would know I was #forrealz, but my mom said I wouldn't have enough of my allowance left over to buy the BSA red dot for my SKS if I did. Besides, the velcro strap on my universal holster with an extra clip holder on the front covers it, so no one at the open carry rally would even see it...

On a serious note, I could see maybe the US Flag or a military branch logo, but frankly between t-shirts, bumper stickers, Facebook pages, etc., there are so many other ways to express yourself that the back plate of a gun that almost no one will ever see if you're doing it right. Between the distractions while shooting, the possibility of an out-of-spec part, and the questions a criminal or civil jury may ask, it seems like it's all downsides, no upside...

MountainRaven
05-11-15, 17:20
Everybody wants a gun that's effective and looks good, too. (Anybody who tells you they don't want their gun to look good/cool is a liar.)

But if you want to express yourself through your pistol, a Glock is probably not the best choice for DIY expression. Have the slide engraved or cerakote it or whatever. If you want to do some DIY self-expression, buy a Beretta or a surplus Hi-Power.

Airhasz
05-11-15, 20:21
Punisher skull on handgun tells me everything I need to know about the owner.

Larry Vickers
05-11-15, 21:58

Spot on

TAZ
05-11-15, 22:10
I'm all for customization, but being a utilitarian I'd spend the effort on swapping parts that can improve functionality. Pretty pictures and such directly under your sights are a risk. Even if they only need to distract you 1 time out of a gazillion reps they could get you killed it that 1 time was on a 2 way range. IMO not worth it. Plus most of them are cheesy.

9mmSMG
05-11-15, 23:31
Yeah like I said the second I brought the gun up all I could focus on was the backplate. Shocked that so many people use them.

Jpoe88
05-12-15, 06:12
I used to have an assault life sticker on my back window along with many others that are now peeled off. I am not that guy. Sure it looks cool but I was a rolling advertisement for owning guns. Should I be ashamed of owning a gun? No. Should I care how others feel about me owning a gun? No. But does it increase chances of breaking into my truck to see what's onder the seat or in the tool box? Yes. I felt like a target so I peeled it all off.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
05-12-15, 06:22
I don't notice mine at all when shooting.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t47/adam_parks/0401151906f_17004197141_o_zpsbykh3nv9.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/adam_parks/media/0401151906f_17004197141_o_zpsbykh3nv9.jpg.html)

ST911
05-12-15, 09:08
I was going to get a Punisher skull, just so everyone would know I was #forrealz, but my mom said I wouldn't have enough of my allowance left over to buy the BSA red dot for my SKS if I did. Besides, the velcro strap on my universal holster with an extra clip holder on the front covers it, so no one at the open carry rally would even see it...

*applause*

Etho
05-12-15, 09:23
I've never messed with one before, but I could see that being an issue. The DoucheFactor is very high with those things.

9mmSMG
05-12-15, 10:29
I consider them to be about the same as morale patches in terms of the reason for them. The difference is, morale patches aren't going to hinder how you fire your weapon.

brickboy240
05-12-15, 11:01
Adding one just does not bring a damn thing to the table.

Unlike changing triggers or adding a Vickers mag release button or slide stop or maybe mag base plates. Does not make any part of the gun handle better or improve performance.

The back plate does not improve the useability of the pistol so it stays off my Glocks...sorry.

I have always thought that was the beauty of the Glock platform - it needs very little in upgrades to make it fly right.

Want to tinker and play around? Go get a 1911! LOL

Bimmer
05-14-15, 01:28
Well it's purely for looks, so everyone's tastes vary.

Yes, but...

Amen to this.

LOL, and don't forget you need to save money to have the inside of your Del-Ton's dust cover engraved with your favorite pithy statement...

Jpoe88
05-14-15, 07:18
pithy...

Totally going to have it put on the next dust cover. "Pithy..."

orlanger
05-14-15, 09:20

Lame, distracting and quite ghey

BatteryOperated
05-14-15, 09:23
Designed to tick off the competition, and throw off their concentration.

Firefly
05-14-15, 09:57
Well...it's your pistol.

But personally I find it pointless. Everytime I see a Punisher skull on a weapon it feels like the equivalent of a tapout shirt or a car bra.

I mean....it's like...okay bear with me and be objective but...it's like when 9/11 happened and everybody was all hooah all of a sudden. At first I was on board and it felt refreshing. People hung flags and put flags on their cars like it was an ambassadors car. Right on.

But then people cut you off in traffic, drive like total jerks, flip you off, Toss cigarettes or bottles out in front of you, and are boldly flapping Old Glory while doing so.

Same with guys putting on Molon Labe, Gadsden flags, American flags, and punisher skulls on their guns. I like the spirit of it. Freedom loving shooters. Stern constitutionalists.

Then the same guy starts shooting like a weirdo or doing something unsafe or flagging someone. Or seeing an officer with a Punisher back plate on his duty weapon. It screams Coperator jerk regardless of his demeanor.

So slap them on but....but don't be shocked if people judge you or find it tacky.

Then again....I always found woodstocked rifles with a girlfriend's name carved in them kind of neat. Like World War II or Bosnia. Or guys with hashmarks on scoped rifles. Or smiley face lens caps.

I dunno. YMMV

Bimmer
05-14-15, 12:21
Or smiley face lens caps.

I want this.

Brownells could make another million if they would sell smiley face stickers in various sizes to fit the insides of various lens caps...

Vandal
05-14-15, 12:32
I see the backplates like I do performance car parts. If it doesn't directly improve the way my car performs, then I don't waste my money on it.

They are cheesy and yet another useless product available for the TapOut and Affliction wearing gun owners.

davidjinks
05-15-15, 21:01
Deleted

Roc_Kor
05-20-15, 03:22
I've got a friend who's got logo'd backplates on some pistols. They also have Trijicon HD sights, so my eye has always been drawn to the sights over the logo, so I'm indifferent to his set up.

ramairthree
11-02-15, 17:55
I have shot friends guns with logo back plates.
I find it a distraction.
I guess they get used to it and not notice.

I like metal base plates on my glock and beretta mags.
Beretta mags used to be metal but have gone to plastic.

Since I have retired I get military logo ones.

Knorth
11-02-15, 18:07
I would not do it personally and definitely not on a self defense weapon. That being said, a friend from work just put on an iron cross on his G27.

Sean W.
11-02-15, 18:45
So who's going to start the color fill thread?

Halo09
11-02-15, 18:56
LOL...I had picked up a 22 in trade and it had the punisher backplate and the original...punisher went on ebay and paid for a box of ammo :)

GregP220
11-02-15, 19:07
So who's going to start the color fill thread?

Color fill is hellagay - er, not that theres anything wrong with that.....

kjd2121
11-03-15, 17:34
I want to be honest. I went ahead and buffed my barrel, pins and slide stop (chromed).

I personally think it looks good and it only cost me the white compound. Call me what you will, but I am honest and not bad mouthing anything that anyone prefers to do to their guns (Stippling, sanding, etc.)

Maybe some of you guys should look in the mirror (Flame Alert).

GregP220
11-08-15, 18:56
I suppose if you wanted to carry this to an extreme you could say the stainless steel hammer and stainless steel firing pin on my 1911 is a distraction.

One could also say that the red cocked indicator on some striker fired guns like a VP9 is a distraction.

i think we need to focus on the front sights.