PDA

View Full Version : Question about DD Lite/M4 handguards

wild_wild_wes
05-10-15, 16:35
I have an upper with a Daniel Defense 12" Lite II handguard, with a 14.5" barrel with flash hider permanently attached. Can it be disassembled without removing/destroying the FH? I'd like to switch to a Lite III handguard.

WaldoOneFive
05-10-15, 18:17
I have an upper with a Daniel Defense 12" Lite II handguard, with a 14.5" barrel with flash hider permanently attached. Can it be disassembled without removing/destroying the FH? I'd like to switch to a Lite III handguard.

No, the Lite II and Lite III use different bolt up plates, and thus, the flash hider, as well as gas block, and barrel nut would need to be removed.

wild_wild_wes
05-10-15, 20:25
So, the barrel nut won't fit past the FH?

Slippers
05-10-15, 20:31
So, the barrel nut won't fit past the FH?

The barrel nut will probably fit over the flash hider, depending on which one you have installed. The gas block won't, though.

wild_wild_wes
05-10-15, 20:51
The barrel nut will probably fit over the flash hider, depending on which one you have installed. The gas block won't, though.

I see, thanks!

pezboy
05-11-15, 09:57
I believe they use the same barrel nut so you should be able to remove the rail over the gas block and flash suppressor, remove the barrel nut (not all the way off the barrel), take the barrel out of the upper, take off the old bolt up plate, and then reverse the process.

Marler5811
05-11-15, 14:28
Lite Rail II and Lite Rail III (DDM4 Rail) Use the same barrel nut. You should be able to remove the bolts from the Lite Rail II and slide it over your barrel. With the rail system removed you can then loosen your barrel nut and remove your entire barrel assembly from your upper. With you barrel assy removed you can swap out the bolt up plate, reinsert your barrel into your upper, torque the barrel nut, and install the Lite Rail III.