PDA

View Full Version : SCAR 17 20 round group, stock trigger and RDS.

ScottsBad
05-11-15, 16:57
33207For those who are contemplating buying a FN SCAR 17S or are curious about how they shoot. Here is an example from Saturday.
POST YOUR TARGETS and tell us about your thoughts on the SCAR 17.

RIFLE:

SCAR 17 (black)
Stock trigger
16" Barrel
Aimpoint T2 in LaRue mount
Aimpoint 3x Magnifier in LaRue flip mount
Front rest only

AMMUNITION:
20 rounds
American Eagle 168gr OTM (surprised again)

RANGE:
100 yards
73 degrees
0-15 mph wind gusty
But this is the best 20 shot group I've gotten with a SCAR 17 so I was surprised.

I was pleased I was able to get a pretty consistent group using a stock trigger and medium priced ammunition. (My preference was Federal GMM 168 gr, but this worked just as well). I have two SCAR 17s and they shoot similarly, but the other SCAR 17 has a Geissele trigger and NF 2.5-10X so it was funny that I was able to shoot nearly as well or maybe the same with stock trigger and RDS.

ranger56528
05-11-15, 17:32
Nice,I just bought a 17S last Friday,I only have a few rounds though it(Prvi 165)and now I ordered a different brake for it. I ordered a Lantac Dragon for it.

Iraqgunz
05-11-15, 20:20
Moved to the correct area since a SCAR isn't an AR based weapon.

RHINOWSO
05-11-15, 20:36
"AMMUNITION:
20 rounds
American Eagle 168gr OTM (surprised again)"

AE 168gr OTM shoots great out of my 17 as well. Well worth it for the price point.

controlledpairs2
05-11-15, 21:35
Nice shooting!

ScottsBad
05-12-15, 15:11
Nice,I just bought a 17S last Friday,I only have a few rounds though it(Prvi 165)and now I ordered a different brake for it. I ordered a Lantac Dragon for it.

Thanks. And congrats on the SCAR. If you don't get the group you want try different ammo. I've never shot the Privi stuff so it might work out, but if not don't get discouraged. Also, note that the cheaper stuff like PMC, IMI, Federal XM80, Winchester white box, etc. does not shoot anywhere near as well as the AE 168gr OTM, or other more expensive rounds.

I am running the stock trigger in this particular SCAR 17, but it is a good example for a stock trigger. Most stock triggers are not very good, so if you have a problem with the trigger try a Geissele. I have these on my other SCARs and they are very nice.

Welcome to the SCAR family.

ScottsBad
05-12-15, 15:12
Moved to the correct area since a SCAR isn't an AR based weapon.

Sorry, I must have had a stroke.

ScottsBad
05-12-15, 15:18
"AMMUNITION:
20 rounds
American Eagle 168gr OTM (surprised again)"

AE 168gr OTM shoots great out of my 17 as well. Well worth it for the price point.

I hope you don't mind if I ask. Have you tested other factory ammo that you like for the SCAR as well? I have also been shooting Federal Gold Metal Match 168gr OTM (I bought a bunch of it), but it doesn't seem to be any better than the AE 168gr.

ScottsBad
05-12-15, 15:19
Nice shooting!
Thank you. I'm sure there are many on this forum who could do better.

Alpha-17
05-12-15, 21:25
I hope you don't mind if I ask. Have you tested other factory ammo that you like for the SCAR as well? I have also been shooting Federal Gold Metal Match 168gr OTM (I bought a bunch of it), but it doesn't seem to be any better than the AE 168gr.

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer anyway. The SCAR 17S loves 168gr stuff. The barrel twist rate is perfect for it, and you'll get great groupings with pretty much any factory 168gr round out there. If you haven't tried them already, I'd recommend trying out the Hornady A-Max/Z-Max stuff. I've had absolutely awesome results with it in my SCAR.

ranger56528
05-12-15, 22:54
Most are using 168 with good results so I should be fine with the 165,I shoot Win white box 150 with my Savage bolt and have a couple thousand 165 that I shoot with the FNAR and the LR-308 so I'm hoping that the 17 likes it too being its not much different then the 168..

Alpha-17
05-13-15, 08:39
Most are using 168 with good results so I should be fine with the 165,I shoot Win white box 150 with my Savage bolt and have a couple thousand 165 that I shoot with the FNAR and the LR-308 so I'm hoping that the 17 likes it too being its not much different then the 168..

I've had good results with 165gr SGK, so you're probably good to go.

ScottsBad
05-13-15, 19:24
I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer anyway. The SCAR 17S loves 168gr stuff. The barrel twist rate is perfect for it, and you'll get great groupings with pretty much any factory 168gr round out there. If you haven't tried them already, I'd recommend trying out the Hornady A-Max/Z-Max stuff. I've had absolutely awesome results with it in my SCAR.

Thanks. I've been pretty impressed that I've not seen a lot of stringing. Of course if I raised the rate of fire and quantity of fire I suspect I might get a different result. It seems odd that I should be getting roughly the same results with Fed. Gold Metal Match 168gr OTM as AE 168gr OTM given the cost difference.

Anyway, the SCAR 17 shoots the 168gr round so much better than the XM80 type rounds that I'm now completely spoiled.

Alpha-17
05-13-15, 22:33
It seems odd that I should be getting roughly the same results with Fed. Gold Metal Match 168gr OTM as AE 168gr OTM given the cost difference.

Some rifles just really like some loads/ammo types. You may have gotten a really good lot of AE, and/or a bad one of Federal GMM. I know I had an odd occurrence where I had a better grouping with 165gr Soft point SGK than with 175gr SMK loaded to M118LR specs.

ScottsBad
05-14-15, 16:19
Hmmm, well maybe someday I'll have time and money to get into it more. A chronograph and some reloading equipment might be interesting.

NongShim
05-14-15, 19:20
Nice shooting!

I think the Mk17 has a lot going for and against it. One thing I have never complained about was its accuracy.

ScottsBad
05-15-15, 10:53
Thanks. I'd be interested to hear your arguments against it. I was never trained in any particular battery of arms so differences in ergonomics compared to the AR platform don't impact me. Neither does availability of parts, because I keep spares. But if you can point to serious deficiencies I'd be all ears. I'm not married to any platform, I keep ARs, SCARs, bolt guns, hunting rifles, and even Mini-14s. I generally understand their limitations and have experienced them. I've had SCARs for a few years. But if there is something I don't know about the SCAR platform I'd sincerely like to know what it is. Thanks.

Known SCAR issues:
Reciprocating CH
OEM magazines
Stock
Rail real estate & length
?

hypno02
05-15-15, 22:02
Hey guys,

I picked up a 17s a couple months ago and all I've ran through it is federal xm180. With a 1-8 uso it'll shoot right at an inch at 100yds. I'm jacked to run some fgmm through it soon. Also, good shooting OP!

ScottsBad
05-18-15, 11:04
Thanks hypno02, welcome to M4C.

NongShim
05-21-15, 21:05
Thanks. I'd be interested to hear your arguments against it. I was never trained in any particular battery of arms so differences in ergonomics compared to the AR platform don't impact me. Neither does availability of parts, because I keep spares. But if you can point to serious deficiencies I'd be all ears. I'm not married to any platform, I keep ARs, SCARs, bolt guns, hunting rifles, and even Mini-14s. I generally understand their limitations and have experienced them. I've had SCARs for a few years. But if there is something I don't know about the SCAR platform I'd sincerely like to know what it is. Thanks.

Known SCAR issues:
Reciprocating CH
OEM magazines
Stock
Rail real estate & length
?

Nothing new, same issues that have been discussed at length. That they aren't new does not negate them however. The recoil is as expected from such a light gun with so much reciprocating mass. That is a personal thing though.

One of the most accurate fighting guns I have shot, zero complaints there. Glad to see others experiencing the accuracy they are capable of. Most of the controls are same as AR so that is great.