PDA

View Full Version : CMP 1911s snuck into FY16 NDAA

KalashniKEV
05-11-15, 22:49
At least until they take it out...

http://www.guns.com/2015/05/08/house-advances-amendment-to-sell-milsurp-1911s-through-cmp/

~100K of them.

Most of the ones that have been 1033'd are just freebie range toys anyway.

Better to get them in the right hands and raise a little money/ save some money at the same time.

ralph
05-14-15, 09:24
While one can hope, I'll be surprised if this happens.. #1, This makes entirely too much sense. #2. This goes against everything Obumbo stands for, so unless it gets missed, it'll be taken out.. Obumbo would rather spend millions of dollars dumping them in the gulf of Mexico, before he'd let a common citizen buy one..

CAVDOC
05-14-15, 12:04
This is all over the net- I do hope it happens but has a lot of hoops to jump through before it becomes reality. In the end you could end up with one of the near pristine ones that sat in my guard units arms rack or the beat to death ones used at a training base.

Vandal
05-14-15, 12:19
If this somehow makes it through unscathed these 1911's won't be cheap, even for the beat up ones. CMP knows the value of these guns and will charge accordingly.

Hammer27
05-14-15, 14:07
If this somehow makes it through unscathed these 1911's won't be cheap, even for the beat up ones. CMP knows the value of these guns and will charge accordingly.

Yep. My initial thought was that these would be neat to use as the base for a project gun but that's not happening with the price.

straitR
05-16-15, 19:34

True, but still well worth the (speculated) purchase price for the 1911 enthusiast. The price will be relative to their value, which is reasonable. I'd much rather buy through CMP then wade through a local gun show or even worse, try to verify stampings and condition via online gun auction.

sinister
05-17-15, 13:32
Should the NDAA wording get approved from "Rifles" to "Firearms," the CMP will be able to move any and all surplus .mil handguns (all the old revolvers aircrews, Air Force Security Police, MP Investigators, and CID agents carried, as well as tired M9s no longer re-buildable to standard, and MWR rod and gun club .22s like Rugers and S&W M41s).

The assumption that the M1911A1s are old, tired war horses is crap. They went back to the depot, most were re-built to issuable condition, and then put into storage with basic issue items -- a mag pouch, 3 mags, and a cleaning kit.

BooneGA
05-17-15, 16:51
Our team still has some 1940s vintage 1911s in the arms room. One of them is just as tight as my Ed Brown. Cant wait to get them out on the range. If CMP had some Id definitely snag one.

Rick

Vandal
05-17-15, 17:56
If this happens I will certainly pick one up. I'm just not holding my breath. This is a good opportunity for the feds to make some easy cash, I just hope they take it.

Codename46
06-29-15, 10:57
Any update? Did the NDAA pass with this amendment?

1oldgrunt
06-29-15, 21:00
Note my alias I was in backin 72. The last 1911's purchased by the Army was 1953. These guns are now 60+ years old. The ones in out unit were all beat to crap parts guns. most had been dis-assembled for cleaning and not much attention to making sure the slides and frames stayed the same. Most of our had gone thru arsenal rebuilds , sometimes twice and most had cracked slides!!!
Be wary of what you wish for.

Dienekes
07-24-15, 20:19
Well, I'm still hanging on to my 1962 DCM notification entitling me to buy one for $17 when they become available again. And--a deal is a deal.

BigJoe
07-24-15, 22:42
if there is that many and they are just basic 1911's i doubt they re unreasonably priced. CMP tends to be somewhat reasonable for the most part. If they are decent i'll buy a couple.

sinister
07-25-15, 17:06
To my recollection there were around 400,000 M1911A1s in war storage in the 90s with about 40% of them being unserviceable/non-repairable and available for cannibalization.

Considering there were at least two large barrel contracts for rebuilds (in 1985 and 1993) the number should still be pretty healthy. 1033 USG transfers to LE were negligible sonsidering the number of guns available.

rushca01
07-25-15, 18:22
Are these A1s with properly heated treated slides? Fingers crossed they become available.

sinister
07-25-15, 20:27
They ran the entire range from Smithsonian perfect to who knows what.

Most pistols with refurbished slides had new 60s and 70s hard slides.

glocktogo
07-25-15, 22:11

Speaking of which, I wish they wouldn't charge so much. After all, we've already paid for them once! :(

ralph
08-01-15, 10:51
Speaking of which, I wish they wouldn't charge so much. After all, we've already paid for them once! :(

Well, this is how the CMP funds itself.. Thanks to Bill Clinton who cut the then DCM program off from federal funding, They ended up funding themselves mainly via M1Garand sales after a court battle with the white house.. (bill was busy crushing as many M1's as he could until forced to stop by the courts, I believe I read where upwards of 300,000 were crushed, many brand new) The CMP has steadily rose the price of M1's, and yet they sell all they have. I'm glad I got 2 service grades when they were in the $500 range..I'm also glad I was lucky enough to be working in Toledo when they got the one and only shipment of '03 and '03A3's, from Greece. I scored one of each.. with excellent original barrels and original finishes/stocks for $400 apiece.. The CMP has treated me well, while I doubt I'll be buying any 1911's as now I'm retired and on a fixed income. However, If this comes to pass, this will be a once in a lifetime opportunity. Those of you who can afford it, should consider it. I think they'll sell quickly, and once they're gone, they'll never come back.

agr1279
10-22-15, 15:39
The bill was vetoed allegedly over not enough cuts and additional spending on whatever pet projects the pres wanted.

Flankenstein
10-22-15, 15:46
The bill was vetoed allegedly over not enough cuts and additional spending on whatever pet projects the pres wanted.

Link?

agr1279
10-22-15, 16:18
Link?

Fox News

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/10/22/obama-vetoes-612-billion-defense-policy-bill-in-rebuke-to-congressional/?intcmp=hplnws

Flankenstein
10-22-15, 16:26
Fox News

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/10/22/obama-vetoes-612-billion-defense-policy-bill-in-rebuke-to-congressional/?intcmp=hplnws

Thanks

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-26-15, 01:09
It looks like Obama signed it!!!!!! merica!!!

masakari
11-26-15, 03:07
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/11/25/breaking-news-it-is-now-law-the-cmp-can-sell-1911s-to-the-public-a-thanksgiving-day-miracle/
Its a miracle! Rejoice!

USMC_Anglico
11-26-15, 07:44
So it's a one year, 10K pistol trial, which the secretary of the Army may choose to pursue. Doesn't seem to mandate anything happens.

But I'll be waiting and ready for that CMP sales email if it ever comes.....

sinister
11-26-15, 08:18
Nope.

The Army declared them excess and surplus to requirements. First 10K are the law. CMP can sell them as soon as CMP can get their act together.

dentron
11-26-15, 09:07
How do you buy one though? What are the CMP affiliated clubs?

HKGuns
11-26-15, 09:15

Your google fu is weak grasshoppa.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/

This is a wonderful Thanksgiving present!!!! I will have a few GI issued 1911's to go with my Garands and Carbines!

SLewis
11-26-15, 09:42

Just join the Garand Collectors Association. They are directly connected to the CMP
http://thegca.org/membership/

It'll still be a long time for these to actually reach market. Probably a few years.

USMC_Anglico
11-26-15, 09:46
Nope.

The Army declared them excess and surplus to requirements. First 10K are the law. CMP can sell them as soon as CMP can get their act together.

Optimism, I like it. I just read a lot of "mays" in Sec 1087, no "will" or "shall"

sinister
11-26-15, 12:36
Yup. It costs the Army money to store them. If they lateral transfer them to CMP (and CMP trucks them across post) they're off the books and no more storage cost.

From the bill sponsor:

Congressman Rogers says it's a win-win because the pistols are placed in very capable hands at the Civilian Marksmanship Program and it also saves taxpayers roughly $200,000 per year.

The M1911A1 pistol was once the standard sidearm for U.S. armed forces. Rogers says a little over 8,000 of the 100,000 pistols were sold to law enforcement and transferred to foreign countries for a small price. The rest are in storage.

The CMP will inspect, grade, and prepare the pistols to be sold. It will also reimburse the Army for any costs associated with moving the firearms.

dentron
11-28-15, 02:05
Just join the Garand Collectors Association. They are directly connected to the CMP
http://thegca.org/membership/

It'll still be a long time for these to actually reach market. Probably a few years.
Thanks