PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried this?

nightw50
07-15-08, 18:33
I thought I'd try this....after I've preped my hundereds of .223 cases: tumbled,de-capped,resized,trimmed,reamed,de-crimped,etc....I thought of immersing them in boiling water to remove the resizing lube and whatever crud is left over. I'll shake 'em out and let 'em dry for probably several days to weeks before the rest of the proccess. BTW I'm retired so I'm not in a hurry to do anything. What do you 'experts' think? Am I crazy?

markm
07-15-08, 22:28
Am I crazy?

Yes! Crazy!

I can have my brass loaded and back in the mags they were fired from in the morning that afternoon or evening.

After I decap/resize, I just run the brass for 30 minutes in walnut tumble and the lube is gone. Now if you're using that One shot crap, forget it. You might have to boil to get it off if you don't plan on removing it by hand. :mad:

jmart
07-15-08, 22:47
I do that as standard practice. Not boiling, but hot tap water with a squirt of Dawn. Slosh around a bit, a hot water rinse, and lay them out on a cookie sheet to dry, either in sun or in 170 deg oven for 20 minutes or so.

After that I tumble them for 15-20 minutes and they come out shiny. Tumbling media lasts a bit longer doing it this way.

Hey, if you're retired, it's not like you don't have time on your hands, correct?

nightw50
07-16-08, 00:53
I guess I'm only half crazy:D

markm
07-16-08, 08:18
The only time I'll get any brass wet is if somehow it might have mud stuck on/in it.

99% of the time that's not an issue here in the desert.

ccoker
07-21-08, 11:28
what about just spraying with brake cleaner?

markm
07-21-08, 11:33
Never tried that. It'd probably work.

ccoker
07-22-08, 17:01
I have used brake cleaner before to clean cases as I mark the charge on them with a sharpie as I am working up loads
works well....
spray em and wipe em off with paper towels or a shop rag

markm
07-23-08, 08:35
I mark the charge on them with a sharpie as I am working up loads

That's funny! I make hash marks on my brass with a sharpie to indicate the number of firings on the brass. :D

It's helpful when your brass gets mixed up out at the range.

Kevin Beggs
07-25-08, 07:34
I put my cases in a wire mesh basket and dunk them into a 5 gallon bucket of acetone. I use Dillon's case lube and it strips it right off. Dries and ready to load in seconds.

Nick710
07-28-08, 22:09
NO, you're not crazy. I have used hot, soapy water to wash the lube off cases for years. I built a drying rack using 16 p. finishing nails.

Wash the cases in hot, soapy water, rinse with clean cold water, put on drying rack and put in the sun for an hour or so. Take them off the rack and tumble as you normally would. By washing the lube off, your tumbling media will last a lot longer.

DesertWarrior13
07-29-08, 01:54
I like the 16 P drying rack idea. I'll have make one.

I've also thought about trying 'em out in the dishwasher somehow, maybe in an enclosed plastic basket or something.
Or, maybe I'm the one that's crazy!

markm
07-29-08, 08:02
NO, you're not crazy. I have used hot, soapy water to wash the lube off cases for years. I built a drying rack using 16 p. finishing nails.

Wash the cases in hot, soapy water, rinse with clean cold water, put on drying rack and put in the sun for an hour or so. Take them off the rack and tumble as you normally would. By washing the lube off, your tumbling media will last a lot longer.

That's a good idea. But I'd rather buy more lizard waltnut than deal with another process for rifle brass. But again... I'm not dealing with mud on/in my cases so I can get away without washing.

When I do need to wash mud off of brass, I line it up in the bedliner of my truck. The black bedliner in the sun is like oven drying the brass.

skyugo
07-30-08, 15:47
That's funny! I make hash marks on my brass with a sharpie to indicate the number of firings on the brass. :D

It's helpful when your brass gets mixed up out at the range.

i color code em around the primer with a sharpie paint marker :o

markm
07-30-08, 15:56
i color code em around the primer with a sharpie paint marker :o

I know a guy who does that out here too.