PDA

View Full Version : See all vs Fiber optic on AR

Grizz12
05-12-15, 15:32
I have an SR556 with troy sights and I cant see the front any more (getting old, ugh), anyway, does anyone have experience with the SEE ALL or one of the fiber optics on the market? I thought about a red (green) dot but they are out of my price range at the moment.

WickedWillis
05-12-15, 15:45
I have an SR556 with troy sights and I cant see the front any more (getting old, ugh), anyway, does anyone have experience with the SEE ALL or one of the fiber optics on the market? I thought about a red (green) dot but they are out of my price range at the moment.

Do you have astigmatism or anything eye condition like that? Red dots sometimes become red blobs for shooters with certain eye conditions. I have never used fiber optic sights on AR style rifles, however I did use a 3-dot fiber optic setup on a 20" mossberg shotgun that seemed alright. Sights were fast and easy to pick up.

Hmac
05-12-15, 16:06
Your problem is presbyopia. You're progressively losing the ability to focus on close objects. It has nothing to do with astigmatism. Sounds like you've reached the point where you can no longer focus well on an object at a distance of 18 inches. Sorry to say, it will get worse as you age further.

One choice is to try to find a way to make the front sight more visible. Fiberoptics is a reasonable way to do that, but as you age further, it will become an increasingly fuzzy bright red blob. Another solution is to sit down with a good optometrist and arrange for a pair of shooting glasses that will give you the best compromise of focus close (rear sight), middle (front sight), and infinity. Trifocals won't work, the lenses will have to be purpose ground for shooting a rifle with iron sights.

IMHO, the best solution for you is going to be a red dot sight. That way you can use your regular glasses (if you wear them) and the focusing won't be an issue since the dot on an RDS is projected onto the same plane as the target. You would only have to be able to focus well on the target. A similar solution would be a magnified optic like a 1-4x.

Iron sights are a young man's game. You may have reached the end of that road.