PDA

View Full Version : tulammo steel case...

texasgunhand
05-13-15, 00:59
Ive been helping a guy at the range who bought a mossberg bolt .223 chambered in 5.56.
After watching him shoot 75 rounds he finally asked for my help. I found a screw on his prostaff scope ring stripped through the scope ring so that explains why it was shooting all over the place,the scope was moving.

My question is ive never shot tullammo in a .223 and i know its not great but know hes gona ask my to fine tune it becouse i shoot a little better than him.

What kind of accuracy can be expected with that ammo is a 3 inch group at 100 yards to much to ask? Ive only shot steel case tul outa ak47 and sks for fun. I just have no idea what to expect accuracy wise. Ive never really heard great things about it in 5.56

Will be his bolt gun shooting off bags.i know theres a lot af variables being left out,just wondering how big a target to take..lol

TomMcC
05-13-15, 02:01
3" at a 100yds in a bolt gun would be about right. Tula and Wolf bimetal bullet ammo would usually do no better than 4" in my AR's (I haven't shot any in a few years). The bullets just aren't made that well.

ST911
05-13-15, 10:37
Point of reference: The last few times I shot Tula in any packaging, 16" barrel w/ RDS, it stayed in the black on a B8 bullseye at 100yds and on a small human silhouette at 200yds. I can't find a deliberate attempt at a group in my notes.

texasgunhand
05-13-15, 12:30
Ok thanks,ive never tryed to shoot it in .223. I was just wondering what to expect when sighting in.
This guy orders 1000rnd cases of the stuff and shoots maybe 300 rounds at a time.

I told him weeks ago there was something wrong becouse i couldnt even hit a pistol target at 100yrds with is scoped bolt gun and i shoot iron sights that far. I think i found the problem with a bad scope ring. Iam not sure how he missed it. Iam just trying to help an old vet out,hes shot about 8000 rnds through it mostly the steel case stuff,i tryed to explain copper fowling to him and asked him to clean the barrel well before he goes again.

I think he just pulls a bore snake through it every once in a while for cleaning,he even continued shooting after we knew the front scope mount was bad and the scope was moving..lol i think he just likes to shoot becouse it was moving around like crazy. Its a nikon prostaff with the bdc built in so at 100 yrds it should be a great little shooter altho that little short barrel mosberg is soooo loud its an ear ringer even with plugs in.

markm
05-13-15, 16:36
I've only analyzed Herters ammo. But the thing I found was that the Russian bullet was far and away the accuracy limiting factor. I substituted one component at a time working from Herters to Matchish Handloads. Russian bulk bullets are bad. I don't think we could get them down to 3 inches. More like 4 MOA. Simply subbing a SMK with everything else in place brought them to MOAish. (I can't remember exactly)

ST911
05-13-15, 20:41
I've only analyzed Herters ammo. But the thing I found was that the Russian bullet was far and away the accuracy limiting factor. I substituted one component at a time working from Herters to Matchish Handloads. Russian bulk bullets are bad. I don't think we could get them down to 3 inches. More like 4 MOA. Simply subbing a SMK with everything else in place brought them to MOAish. (I can't remember exactly)

I remember that... That was a good post/thread. Looked, but can't find it right now. Anyone else?

markm
05-14-15, 17:01
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?128890-Blasting-ammo-Herters-(Update-Pg-3)/page3

texasgunhand
05-14-15, 20:27
Thanks mark...

ST911
05-14-15, 22:52
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?128890-Blasting-ammo-Herters-(Update-Pg-3)/page3

That's it, thank you.

markm
05-15-15, 16:51
Those bullets shoot so bad, they make be nervous about sending them down my barrel. ;)

Heavy Metal
05-15-15, 17:36
My experience is most Russian .223/556 is 4moa ammo on average.

Past three hundred yards, you would almost be better off with a bullhorn and some nasty insults.

texasgunhand
05-15-15, 18:21
Lol, just harsh language maybe and a rock or two. He said hes got about 8000rounds through that little bolt gun, Iam scared the barrell might be gone reference the chart of 5000 is a problem.

texasgunhand
05-16-15, 18:51
UPDATE...
The rifle worked great with scope rings that were actually attached..lol
A 10 round string stayed in a 3 or 4 inche bullseye at 100 with the steel case ammo.
He was very happy and was still there after i left today banging away. Now if i could just get him to shoot a little better ammo he would be in great shape.