PDA

View Full Version : New Colt 6920

vaquero
07-15-08, 19:48
Well I picked up the Colt 6920 today. Damn is it a nice rifle. But I have a couple of questions.

1) What grain ammo works well with the twist for accuracy?

2) What name brand ammo?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

-Michael

CyberM4
07-15-08, 19:57
Nice. Give us a range report when you brake her in. What price did you pay?

Paladin4415
07-15-08, 20:31
Well I picked up the Colt 6920 today. Damn is it a nice rifle. But I have a couple of questions.

1) What grain ammo works well with the twist for accuracy?

2) What name brand ammo?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

-Michael

1) Anything from 55 to 77 should work fine. Some use even lighter stuff.

2) I like to stick with M193 or M855. Federal or Winchester.

vaquero
07-16-08, 04:38
CyberM4,

I paid $1738.00 for the Colt. It was to be delivered in mid-June, then I was told last week it was coming in mid-October. So I debated for the last few days on getting my refund and purchasing an LMT. Patience prevailed. I realize I spent $250.00 more than I should have, but am very happy with it and can't wait to go shooting. My cousin has an S&W MP15 so it will be nice to compare both.

karmapolice
07-16-08, 08:08
Wow good rifle but that’s a lot, I built my gun less optic with all the goodies for cheaper than that. A brand new colt 6920 at the local gun shop is $1299 and I only spent a bit more than that on mine less the new Chip McCormick trigger and even with that it was under what you spent. I am not trying to bad mouth you but you definitely got taken to the farm paying that much for that thing.

Mung
07-16-08, 08:29
CyberM4,
I realize I spent $250.00 more than I should have, . I was thinking more like $500. Anyway, my friends 6920 will eat anything you feed it. Don't be afraid to use Wolf in it to save some bucks!
Congrats.

tinman44
07-16-08, 08:45
I was thinking more like $500. Anyway, my friends 6920 will eat anything you feed it. Don't be afraid to use Wolf in it to save some bucks!
Congrats.

this was one thing i considered when i purchased mine. seams wolf helps most "half assed" rifles find their weak spots. i can train with this stuff all day i think, i need to buy a few cases now so i can attend some training.

Failure2Stop
07-16-08, 09:55
I train primarily with M855 (on Uncle Sugar's dime) or M193 (on my dime) for stuff under 100 yards.

I use BH 69 to 77 gr for times I want to see little groups at long range.

I have a load-out of Hornady 75gr TAP, which is what my primary is zeroed for (barely perceptable difference in POI with M193).

MBRMan
07-16-08, 10:18
OMFG...Take it back if you can!!! You could have bought a Noveske N4 LoPro for 100 bucks more with 500 worth of upgrades. I'm sorry to say you got raped. Sorry, but everyone who posted wanted to say it, I did. Get your money back! Everyone has 6920's in stock now for WAYYYY less.:mad:

MBR

texasyid
07-16-08, 12:28
Obviously I haven't shot everything there is in my 6920 but in my rifle Black Hills blue box 77gr is the most accurate. I also shoot Hornady Tap .223 and 5.56 t2ammo 75gr. and like that as well.
While a lot of people shoot Wolf I don't. I bought a quality rifle and like to shoot quality ammo in it.

Fringe
07-16-08, 14:36
Obviously I haven't shot everything there is in my 6920 but in my rifle Black Hills blue box 77gr is the most accurate. I also shoot Hornady Tap .223 and 5.56 t2ammo 75gr. and like that as well.
While a lot of people shoot Wolf I don't. I bought a quality rifle and like to shoot quality ammo in it.

I hear you. I like to shoot the good stuff too, it is just hard on my pocket and I like having a lot of ammunition on hand, like multiple cases.

Do you keep cases of the above mention ammo?

vaquero
07-16-08, 16:23
A buddy told me the same thing about over paying. His words were something like "Jeez Mike I hope that price was a typo." And "did you know you could have had a decent rifle with optics for same price or less." But I did not want to start a prancing pony bashing thread about price vs value. Not going to take it back, cause I am happy with it. But next time I will purchase an LMT.

I feel confident on taking this weapon to an LAV class and not have it fail.

Next step is replacement parts( BCG, springs and gaskets). Then the optics. And last is to paint it, maybe.

I prefer to keep it as stock as possible.

Later, Michael

MBRMan
07-16-08, 19:00
Well, regardless of how much you paid, you made an excellent choice in firearms and I'm sure she'll serve you well.:)

MBR

mrosamilia
07-16-08, 19:24
I agree 100 percent I picked up my 2nd 6920 in two weeks today and am very pleased with the gun. I paid $1250, but would have paid much more if need be to get them before the unknown elections. It's not what you paid but if you are happy!!!!!!:)

texasyid
07-16-08, 20:01
Do you keep cases of the above mention ammo?
The Tap t2 is darn expensive and over time I have bought one case to keep on hand. I'm down to just a few boxes of the Black Hills. For awhile I couldn't get 77gr. at all. I got a pre ban AUG and I'm trying to stock up on xm193 right now so I haven't been shooting my 6920 much.
Vaquero enjoy that 6920 they are sweet and I know you will enjoy yours.

Fringe
07-17-08, 09:52
I agree 100 percent I picked up my 2nd 6920 in two weeks today and am very pleased with the gun. I paid $1250, but would have paid much more if need be to get them before the unknown elections. It's not what you paid but if you are happy!!!!!!:)

Bravo. This is what I am talking about. I would like to have a second too.

SloaneRanger
07-17-08, 14:44
Great choice of rifle. Very nice.

You did get fleeced on the price though. I bought my LE6920 a week ago when it showed up for $1229.
I'd let your dealer know that you are aware that he gouged you on that. Try to get a case of XM193 out of it. You never know.:D

Veracity
07-17-08, 22:03
Hey,
Who cares that you spent too much? So did I...and under the circumstances, it couldn't be helped.
If it makes you feel better, in order to get one that was NY legal, I spent more than you did!!

Shoot.

Revel in the glory of it.

Rock-N-Ruin
07-18-08, 13:36
Definate congrat's on your new rifle, it will last a lifetime without complete neglect, but maybe even with complete neglect!! I would definately have a little talk with the dealer about the price!!!! The first thing I noticed was the price and my jaw dropped as you've already seen the above postings about what they normally go for, as long as your happy, but I feel the guy owes you an aimpoint at that price. I don't mean to get down on ya as ya got a good rifle and seem to not mind the cost.. I have 2 of them and 1 LMT... I will probably buy another 6920 before the end of the year or as soon as I have the extra $1299.00 to blow.... Again, enjoy it and shoot the shit out of it!! J.

Chas_97
07-18-08, 14:29
I bought my 6920 three weeks ago at Clyde Armory in Bogart, GA. They were charging $1240.00, but only for the first 100 names on the waiting list. After that I'm told the price goes up to $1350.00 at Clyde.

I put an Aimpoint ML3 on it, Magpul PMAG/s, Vickers Sling, Omega 7.0 rails and a few other small upgrades like springs and pins.

I've shot about 120 rounds through it and I must say it's a sweet carbine!!!

F**K Obama and all those gay P** Smoking Liberals!!!!!

RogerinTPA
07-18-08, 22:45
CyberM4,

I paid $1738.00 for the Colt. Dayum man! As long as your happy...:eek:

vaquero
07-19-08, 11:10
Yes I am very happy with my new rifle. I live in the northern Virginia area and most businesses here overcharge for everything. I almost bought an Aimpiont M3($485.00) on impulse from them then noticed the price and waited. If I lived in Kentucky or Colorado the price very well may have been $1250.00 but living so close to the District of Columbia its gouge the wallet time. Life goes on.

Whenever I figure out how to post pictures I will.

Take care all,
Michael

kingc
07-19-08, 13:48
Dayum man! As long as your happy...:eek:

1738 Out da doe!!!!:eek:

LH2
07-19-08, 14:02
Is the stock on the 6920 of good quality? Is it sturdy?

I ask because similar looking telescoping stocks I've tried on other AR's such as Stag & S&W feel flimsy.

If it's the flimsy type stock, would it be easy to replace with a SOPMOD or VLTOR?

Stickman
07-19-08, 15:40
Not going to take it back, cause I am happy with it.

I feel confident on taking this weapon to an LAV class and not have it fail.

Next step is replacement parts( BCG, springs and gaskets). Then the optics. And last is to paint it, maybe.

I wouldn't replace anything on it at this point, it certainly doesn't need a different BCG or springs.

Congratulation on your new weapon, price be damned, you got a solid carbine that will hold up for a very long time. In a couple short period of time, the money you could have saved would have been spent on coffee, burger king, or something else. In the big scheme of things, a few hundred dollars on weapon components over the long haul isn't what I would consider a big deal.

I pay more for photography equipment by buying local than I could by going online, but it all balances out for me in the end. I've got a place for answers, help, and "extras" when I need it.

vaquero
07-20-08, 10:51
Hello LH2, The tele. stock is rock solid. My cousin brought over his 3-4 month old S&W MP15 and in comparisons he prefers the selector switch on the Colt. His words were "very smooth".

Hello stickman, I should have reworded it to say I plan on purchasing back-up parts. I wont change anything internal until failure or preventive maintance. I have a friend who has spent over $10,000.00 on Tom Brown survival and tracking classes. That is what he enjoys. I agree 100% with you, it would have been spent somewhere else anyway. I am now being careful and looking for deals on optics.

Take care all,
Michael

DarrinD
07-20-08, 21:36
You made a great choice and it will give you years of reliable service. I like to train with my Colt with relatively cheap XM193 55gr., but my go-to ammunition in my magazines is Hornady TAP 5.56mm 75gr (too bad it costs an arm and a leg, but because you sprung big bucks for the Colt, you probably should srping for some top performing carry ammo - unless it's just going to be a range/plinking gun). And remember, there are some things in life that you should not worry about if others say you "paid too much for" - I think your M4 is one of those things. One other thing: there are many fine AR mags out there, but to follow your "paying a little too much on your M4 theme," I would suggest you stick with Colt Mags as well. I've never had a single FTF using Colt Mags with my Colt M4 6920 LE.

Chas_97
07-21-08, 09:56
Is the stock on the 6920 of good quality? Is it sturdy?

I ask because similar looking telescoping stocks I've tried on other AR's such as Stag & S&W feel flimsy.

If it's the flimsy type stock, would it be easy to replace with a SOPMOD or VLTOR?

The stock on the 6920 seems to be fairly rigid and smooth. In my opinion the downsides are that the stock itself is lacking in the cheek weld area. Just not much there to snug your cheek up to. Also it only has three adjustment points and no rubber on the very end of the stock. The VLTOR or the Magpul aftermarket stocks are pricey, but well worth the money in my opinion.