PDA

View Full Version : AK Receiver Question

brushy bill
05-13-15, 23:37
I am no AK expert, so hopefully one of you can assist. Is this spot weld faulty?

I don't know if this is what is referred to as "burn through" or just a deep spot weld? This weld does not look like the others (see one beside it). Receiver is 1.5mm Zastava. Would this be a structural or purely cosmetic issue? Thanks.

SeaDonkey
05-14-15, 22:05
As long as nothing is binding up, I'd call it cosmetic.

interfan
05-15-15, 12:44
I am no AK expert, so hopefully one of you can assist. Is this spot weld faulty?

I don't know if this is what is referred to as "burn through" or just a deep spot weld? This weld does not look like the others (see one beside it). Receiver is 1.5mm Zastava. Would this be a structural or purely cosmetic issue? Thanks.

It is cosmetic. Burn through is when you get a hole that goes all the way through due to too much heat/cycle time (or other welding issues). The 1.5mm receivers usually have "deeper" or more pronounced spot welds due to their thickness (look at a RPK receiver some time, you should see pretty big spot welds). This is a factory gun (right?) and Zastava is generally pretty good quality. Depending on the factory's procedures (not all do it the same way), the inner rails are usually welded after the receiver and rails are heat treated, so you will have to use quite a bit of cycle time to get a good weld penetration and bond on hardened steel. Thicker receivers, more so.

brushy bill
05-15-15, 15:38
It is cosmetic. Burn through is when you get a hole that goes all the way through due to too much heat/cycle time (or other welding issues). The 1.5mm receivers usually have "deeper" or more pronounced spot welds due to their thickness (look at a RPK receiver some time, you should see pretty big spot welds). This is a factory gun (right?) and Zastava is generally pretty good quality. Depending on the factory's procedures (not all do it the same way), the inner rails are usually welded after the receiver and rails are heat treated, so you will have to use quite a bit of cycle time to get a good weld penetration and bond on hardened steel. Thicker receivers, more so.

Thanks. Yes, this is factory Zastava. The one weld looked different, so I thought it was a defect. Appreciate response.

Heavy Metal
05-15-15, 17:02
Looks fine.

brushy bill
05-16-15, 00:18
duplicate post

brushy bill
05-16-15, 00:19
Looks fine.

Thanks. I googled RPK receiver pics as interfan suggested and didn't see deep welds like this, so appreciate the second opinion.

interfan
05-16-15, 01:15
Like this one? http://data3.primeportal.net/armory/roman_stepanov/rpk-74/images/rpk-74_4_of_4.jpg

This is a Bulgarian RPK74, with big spot welds like yours, but with flat paint that makes the spot welds look less pronounced, but they are pretty big and deep. If the spot weld was a problem, a wobbly rail would be the first indication of a problem. With an AK, you can have a hole in the receiver from bad spot welds and still have a functional AK if the weld penetration was enough to keep the rails on.

Are your rails fine? Or do they wobble or appear to not be securely connected to the receiver? If they are OK, the gun is fine.

ETA: Google images of M92 and M70 models from Zastava and you'll find many spot welds that look a lot like yours.

brushy bill
05-16-15, 16:59
Thanks Interfan. Rail is tight. I just picked up the rifle though and need to get to range next week and fire few hundred rounds through it. Appreciate all the help. My first AK, so I'm learning. Thanks again.

interfan
05-16-15, 23:36
Sounds like it should be OK. Usually the only thing that will stop an AK from working is an empty magazine

eodinert
05-18-15, 14:52
What's important is whats going on on the inside of the receiver...are the parts bonded together, and in the place they need to be?