PDA

View Full Version : Wonder what ATF is sniffing for?

Conrad101st
05-14-15, 22:29
Resolved

Mr blasty
05-14-15, 22:40
Could be a number of things. Maybe something he sold was used in a crime?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

glocktogo
05-14-15, 23:00
If it's a hand written note, who says it's actually from ATF?

You should look up the local ATF office number in the phone book and call them. If it's legit, they should be willing to talk to you on the phone.

You said you bought the high volume of lowers as "investments". That would require that you "cash them in" at some point. It really doesn't matter how long you hold them. If you bought them to resell, you should have a dealer's license.

Oh and a friendly bit of advice, no one ever buys the whole "so a friend..." bit. Ever. Especially not on your first post in a gun savvy forum. If you're up to something less than legal, I'd suggest you stop. Like, yesterday... :rolleyes:

Digital_Damage
05-15-15, 07:46
What a useless thread... Call them and find out what is going on. Do you think we are mind readers?

Jer
05-15-15, 08:42
My dog's breath smells like dog food.

Mr blasty
05-15-15, 09:10
My dog's breath smells like dog food.

Liar!

Jer
05-15-15, 09:14
Liar!

You caught me. I meant to say that my friend's dog's breath smells like dog food.

Hmac
05-15-15, 09:48
Yeah, because that's the way Federal investigative agencies always to conduct an investigation...a handwritten note on the door. Tell the guy to call the ATF, or more useful...ignore it until an agent shows up with proper credentials.

Mr blasty
05-15-15, 10:07
You caught me. I meant to say that my friend's dog's breath smells like dog food.

That's more like it

Mr blasty
05-15-15, 10:08
Yeah, because that's the way Federal investigative agencies always to conduct an investigation...a handwritten note on the door. Tell the guy to call the ATF, or more useful...ignore it until an agent shows up with proper credentials.

This. Sounds fishy in a hundred different ways

South
05-15-15, 18:29

mtdawg169
05-15-15, 19:24
You said you bought the high volume of lowers as "investments". That would require that you "cash them in" at some point. It really doesn't matter how long you hold them. If you bought them to resell, you should have a dealer's license.

The OP deleted his original post, so I'm not sure of the original topic. However, I have a close friend that received a visit last year from three ATF agents due to this exact scenario. And seriously, it was a friend and not me.

six8
05-15-15, 20:45
The OP deleted his original post, so I'm not sure of the original topic. However, I have a close friend that received a visit last year from three ATF agents due to this exact scenario. And seriously, it was a friend and not me.
And.... What happened with said friend?

mtdawg169
05-15-15, 22:05
And.... What happened with said friend?
Nothing. Apparently, the dealer that he used for transfers had a field audit by ATF. The agents told him that he was flagged in a random sample of the dealers records. Further digging by ATF revealed that he had purchased several stripped lowers. They showed up at his house, with a thick file, containing who knows what information about my buddy. They asked him about his purchasing and sales history. It was probably a 20-30 minute conversation on his front porch. They did not enter his home. It was fairly intense. They knew what gun forums he was active on. When they were done with their questions, they left, simply saying that they would be in touch. After a couple of days, the lead agent called him and said they were closing their file on him. It was at that time that the agent told him that they were attempting to determine if he was acting as an unlicensed dealer. During the face to face interview, they never stated their true purpose for knocking on his door in the middle of a workday. He works from home and they apparently knew that too.

ST911
05-15-15, 23:10
The original post has been restored. OP- Status updates are always appreciated, but when doing so use a reply not an edit. Don't delete the original, else the thread become worthless.

Jer
05-15-15, 23:27
The original post has been restored. OP- Status updates are always appreciated, but when doing so use a reply not an edit. Don't delete the original, else the thread become worthless.

pwnt.

Striker6
05-16-15, 00:09
OP, did the "agent" leave his business card with the note?

CrazyIrishman
05-16-15, 00:35
OP, did the "agent" leave his business card with the note?

This Above , a note isn't legitimate, with a business card with their cell and office phone that corresponds with his local atf's number is legitimate. just a plain paper note on the door would make me worry/wonder if it was really the atf at all

Tattoonick
05-16-15, 01:55
I have a sheriff friend who is higher up in the realms of things, mainly undercover work and DEA stuff.
We were chatting about my recent NFA purchases and he mentioned that every now and then the ATF will contact them and have the local sheriffs do a little digging on certain individuals and it pretty much always pertains to large purchase quantities. It certainly raises red flags that someone would be doing some sketchy dealing without a license, as most people aren't buying 20 ar lowers for personal use.

PatrioticDisorder
05-16-15, 01:56
They knew what gun forums he was active on.

That's a little creepy... but I guess it would make sense they would want to know that if they'd thought he was acting as an unlicensed dealer...

mtdawg169
05-16-15, 05:55
That's a little creepy... but I guess it would make sense they would want to know that if they'd thought he was acting as an unlicensed dealer...
I was waiting for someone to notice that. I'm not sure how they knew, but they asked him specifically about a GA based forum that he was very active on at the time.

Ryno12
05-16-15, 06:30
I would think ATF agents browse gun forums for any low hanging fruit. Loose lips sink ships and all. From a technical side of things, I'm curious how they could pin point an individual. IP address? Or do they simply contact forum administration?

Admitting on the internet that "a friend", who's not a FFL, bought receivers in bulk for "investment purposes" doesn't seem to be the brightest idea, but that's just me.

So, friend found a hand written note on his door from his local atf agent who wanted to talk.

He's kind of perplexed as to why.

He has lots of NFA - SBR, cans, subguns. All properly stamped.

He is not a dealer (FFL).

Bought a properly registered olympic M16 this last year.

Has bought about 20 stripped ar15 lowers this year for investment purposes.

He also bought 3 AK pistol kits and receivers this year also.

He did put a form 1 to make a machinegun with his trust - was denied of course but wanted to try in case the court rules for the plaintiffs in that other case.

It's very odd.

Anybody else have a similar story as to what they re looking for.

He's going to tell them to talk to his lawyer.

Having nfa should not in its own right give probable cause to inspect his stuff me thinks;
or even obligate him to answer questions unless they subpoena him.

So much for the privacy of the 4473.

Thoughts welcome and appreciated.

Jer
05-16-15, 09:13
It's quite easy to track most internet users to RL information because most internet users aren't too bright.