PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Marine Huey Helicopter's Wreckage Is Found in Nepal

MBtech
05-15-15, 10:15
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/nepal-earthquake/u-s-marine-huey-helicopters-wreckage-found-nepal-n359376

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/15/asia/us-helicopter-found-nepal/

KATHMANDU, Nepal — There do not appear to be any survivors of a U.S. Marine helicopter crash in Nepal, officials said Friday, as the recovery effort was called off due to difficult conditions.

"It was a very severe crash and based on what we saw and the condition of the aircraft we believe there were no survivors," Lt. Gen. John Wissler told a press conference in Kathmandu.

Wissler said he was not able to provide a cause for the accident, adding that officials have not been able to positively identify any of the bodies at the scene.

Thoughts and prayers sent to the friends and family of those soldiers that were there to help those in need from the earthquake.

RIP

SteyrAUG
05-15-15, 13:54
Crap.

I suspected it was going to be a bad result, but I was hoping they'd find them camped not far from the wreckage with a few wounded. Terrible situation when you check out just trying to help others.

MBtech
05-15-15, 19:06
Crap.

I suspected it was going to be a bad result, but I was hoping they'd find them camped not far from the wreckage with a few wounded. Terrible situation when you check out just trying to help others.

Yes, my thoughts as well. Not in a combat situation, but trying to provide aid to help victims of mother nature.

I guess in a way they died serving to fight a good fight by helping complete stangers in a terrible situation. Sucks it had to be a freak accident of a man made machine. I'm curious to know the cause of why the chopper went down. Being an auto tech myself, and having a cousin that used to be a helicopter tech for the US Army I'd like to know as I am sure others would like to know how to prevent something like this from happening again.

Averageman
05-15-15, 20:18
Crap.

If I have to check out, I hope it is doing something as good as these guys were doing.
I'm not a very religious man, but you have to have some karma bonus points dying in a humanitarian effort. I'm hoping St Peter swings the gate wide.

MBtech
05-15-15, 20:25
If I have to check out, I hope it is doing something as good as these guys were doing.
I'm not a very religious man, but you have to have some karma bonus points dying in a humanitarian effort. I'm hoping St Peter swings the gate wide.

Amen brother

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8IMn4c4MwM0

One Hell Of An Amen

SteyrAUG
05-15-15, 20:42
Yes, my thoughts as well. Not in a combat situation, but trying to provide aid to help victims of mother nature.

I guess in a way they died serving to fight a good fight by helping complete stangers in a terrible situation. Sucks it had to be a freak accident of a man made machine. I'm curious to know the cause of why the chopper went down. Being an auto tech myself, and having a cousin that used to be a helicopter tech for the US Army I'd like to know as I am sure others would like to know how to prevent something like this from happening again.

On a good day flying anything in that area is challenging. Probably make the top ten list of worst places to try and fly anything.

Hank6046
05-15-15, 22:19
As a Airwing Marine who worked with CH-53E and knew pilots that died in Cobra and Huey units and all I can think is that they ran into fog, fog and mountains have more downed birds from HMLA squadrons than Maintenance errors. My prayers go out to the families, its these humanitarian and training missions where people can take short cuts because its not combat, and its Bullshit. Too many Marines who die to early, too many. Memorial day is coming up and its men like these who need to be honored too, providing aide in the time of need. Sad story.

Moose-Knuckle
05-15-15, 23:38
What a tragedy.

Fair Winds and Following Seas Marines . . .

C-grunt
05-16-15, 20:10
Damn. I was really hoping they had to put it down in a remote area and would be found. Rest easy gentlemen.