PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint M2 vs C3

FFK
07-15-08, 20:52
I have an M2 on my duty gun now. I would really like a 2 MOA but would like to ask a couple of questions. And yes, I searched and found 538 threads...read quite a few.

If I understand correctly, the only thing I will be losing from the ML3 by going to the C3 is water resistance and the C3 is still waterproof to 5 M? Assuming the previous is correct, I will still be significantly upgrading by going to the C3 over my current M2(the night vision capability is of no significance to me), correct?

Or is there any other loss of strength/durability in dropping from any of the M/ML series to the C3?

Thanks

LOKNLOD
07-15-08, 20:57
I believe that battery life improved significantly between the "2" and "3" series Aimpoints. Something like from 10k to 50k hours, IIRC. Might double check that on their spec sheets though.

Byte
07-15-08, 21:45
Are you locked into a C3? I looked at the C3 briefly before deciding upon the M4s. The AA battery switch and very long battery life are great selling points. Never actually got to pricing the C3 to determine what the gap there would be but my M4s came it at just over $700 with the LaRue QD mount. Some food for thought I guess. ;)

Byte

FFK
07-15-08, 22:27
I would love something along the lines of an M4 or T1 but I already have an LT-129 and on popo salary it would be more than I can squeeze out. Truthfully, the M2 is more than adequate for my needs but I would like the 2 MOA and if the C3 is as rugged I could have better battery life, etc for about the same price as an M2...

98z28
07-16-08, 16:49
Did you come across this post?:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10241

I feel the C3 is the best choice for serious work on a budget. The M4 is obviously better, but $300+ better? Your call.

Dualspringfields
07-16-08, 22:29
I just got an C3 and love the thing.

Per FJB
It uses the same switch as the CompM3 which has four night vision settings and six visible settings. Thus, you won't see first visible setting until setting 4 or 5 based on freshness of battery and lighting conditions. You can actually see the dot from the C3 with night vision, the difference between the sights is the extra lens coatings on the M3 to help aid night vision devices and to meet milspec for down range signature at night of the sight, as well as more robustness for greater depth, ie. 150 feet for a CompM3 vice 15 feet for a CompC3.

That all said, the stated battery life for a CompM3, ML3, & C3 is based on the sight turned on setting 7 of 10, i.e. 50,000 hours or over 5 years (1 year = 365days X 24 hours = 8760 hours). Recommend you set your Aimpoint at setting 7 and adjust the brightness up or down from there based on your mission or environmental factors. Battery life will be shortened if the sight is used on settings 8-10 more than settings 7-1. 50,000 hours is based on shooters/operators averaging usage up or down from setting 7. Also, extremely high (over 120 degrees) temps or low (below -20) temps will shorten battery life.

Just a little info for you.

Hope it helped.

ToddG
07-16-08, 23:59
FWIW, my CompM2 has been on a variety of different guns over the past 7-8 years, including almost five years atop a SIG 552 that saw a lot of full auto demonstrations. It still works great ... so great that I cannot bring myself to spend the $$$ to replace it with a T1 or M4.

While I certainly applaud the advances that provide 50k hours of juice, I am willing to live with the dire expense of replacing my M2 batteries once a year ...

If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably go T1 or M4 depending on my needs. But given a very durable, proven system already in my possession I'm happy to stick with it until some money falls from the sky.

SoDak
07-17-08, 15:20
I see I'm not the only one deciding between those two models right now(except I'm starting from scratch). Most of my questions have been answered here except one that I thought might be worthy of including. The m2 can withstand higher temps than the c3 and while I never expect to go to a land where it is 140 degrees, I have noticed that it can get that hot or even hotter in a car on a hot summer day. Would you guys say that the m2 would fare better in such instances where the sight is left in a hot vehicle for multiple days?

FFK
07-17-08, 19:06
98z28...I did read that one and it was the one I was getting most of my info from.

Most of the facts I was wanting are there but I was really more worrying about were there any other ruggedness shortcuts taken. I have found that the damage gear takes from 3 gun, etc as compared to the idiocy that can occur to a duty gun is significantly different. You are much more likely, in the LE world, to be fighting WHILE CARRYING YOUR GUN than fighting WITH YOUR GUN. Perfect example, law of LE/physics says, if you run headlong into an unexpected mailbox and uproot it (no, i'm not stupid or making it up) your personally owned optic and none of your issued crap will take the brunt of it (although somehow it will still hurt you too). This is another reason that although I would love to have a T1, I would not pay for it for my duty gun, even if I could. I have accepted that there is such a thing as gear that acceptable for the job but maybe not the best available, hence my looking at the C3. My M2 is perfectly functional for the mission now but I believe I would like a 2 MOA dot/magnifier combo. I will NOT compromise below what I consider acceptable to get the job done, for example, when I had the option of being issued a inferior rifle, I carried my personal 6920.

And on a side note, I just realized that almost all of my 9 posts at some point have me feeling to explain that "no, I am not stupid". That makes me wonder about myself...

jackinfl
07-17-08, 20:45
I was at an EAG class last year and an Aimpoint employee was there. We were talking about the T-1's and the H-1's, I remember him saying that they are all made on the same line and the difference is the guarantee of water proofness (is that a word?)

I suggest you call Aimpoint in VA, tell them you are a LEO and ask them directly.

Then tell us what they said.

Stay Safe.
Jack

FJB
07-18-08, 00:55
SODAK,
The CompC3 will not have any issues with heat as pertain to your question.

FFK,
The CompC3 is not an "inferior" optic. If you don't plan on using Night Vision nor swimming or diving with your patrol rifle and optic below 15 feet, then you will not have any problems with the CompC3.

Jack,
There are alot more differences between the T-1 and the H-1 than submersion depth. The T-1 has a different Objective lens that has 50 additional layers of lens coatings that enhances the night vision capability and minimizes down range signature at night. Additionally, the Micro T-1 is tested in accordance to and exceeds MILSTD 810F.

That said, the H-1 like the C3 is an excellent optic and will meet the needs of those who don't use Night Vision nor dive with their optics.

S/F

FFK
07-18-08, 04:09
FJB, thanks for the reply, I was hoping you would come along shortly. My impression was that the C3 would fill the bill for me, I just wanted to make sure that my impression was correct.

Thanks to all that replied.