PDA

View Full Version : Best 10.5-12" upper for use with Saker Suppressor

LoneStarM1A
05-18-15, 15:50
Hello, just got my Silencerco Saker suppressor in after a long wait. I had a Noveske 10.5" swithblock upper on order for a long time too but I got burned on that deal so it won't be happening.....in the meantime I need another upper. Would prefer a completed one as I don't have the time or equipment to build an upper myself. Can anyone recommend a good one that will run reliably suppressed? Want something reliable firstand foremost, then lightweight. This is a definite short range carbine so accuracy isn't the most important consideration. Needs to be 5.56/.223 caliber only. Budget up to 2k.

Shiz
05-18-15, 16:39
BCM 12" Kino.
BCM ELW 11.5 KMR
BCM 11.5 LW upper.

I have the 11.5 LW upper. runs perfectly. About 1000 rounds. I threw a Syrac adj. gas block on it to tune it, but now it will only run suppressed unless I adjust 3 clicks. Not a big deal. Ammo in mags gets a little dirty and is tougher to clean if you reload.

I was gifted an Adams Arms 11.5 piston upper. Haven't shot it more than a couple hundred rounds, but works well so far. It keeps the internals a bit cleaner including mag, not that it's a huge deal to get it dirty. The BCM are great, but I usually run that one suppressed 'cos I reload lots and it's a bit easier to go from suppressed to non-suppressed with the AA gas block one click, no tools.

TXBK
05-18-15, 17:15
Why not get the upper that you wanted?

LoneStarM1A
05-18-15, 17:28
What's the wait time on Noveskes these days? You can't order that upper directly from them. Would I have to find a dealer somewhere? I'm reluctant to do a distant phone transaction involving long wait times and probable money up front since I got burned on my last one.

TXBK
05-18-15, 17:55
If you still want it, call Noveske. DSG Arms will let you backorder it, and I don't think they charge your card until they have it to ship. You can contact them to be sure. Call Rainier Arms, and see what they have to say. Keep an eye on the EE, because I have seen them before. There is probably one on TOS right now, but I haven't been over there looking. Here is one with a stainless barrel on Gunbroker. (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=479504336) If you look hard enough, someone wants to sell one right now.

BCM also has many to choose from on their retail site. Sionics has a really nice 11.5 upper (http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store/product.php?id_product=118), and it is way below your budget. A 10.5 LMT CQB MRP (http://www.lmtstore.com/uppers/cqb-close-quarter-battle-mrp-carbine-version.html), is an awesome upper.

jstalford
05-18-15, 18:17
What's the wait time on Noveskes these days? You can't order that upper directly from them. Would I have to find a dealer somewhere? I'm reluctant to do a distant phone transaction involving long wait times and probable money up front since I got burned on my last one.

Order from rogtac.com. No money up front. Very reputable.

Jwknutson17
05-18-15, 18:29
I also like the LMT 10.5 cqb mpr. Also consider a 11.5 KAC upper If you are set on factory complete uppers.

tom12.7
05-18-15, 19:04
What are the needs for the end user? Reliability and lightweight are stated, accuracy is mentioned later as not as important.
I would tend towards the lighter porting of the KAC 11.5" with a A5H3 buffer/ LMT enhanced carrier/ Colt rifle spring, but I do not have the data for the cyclic rate change in these with that can, but these do seem to operate well with most cans with full power 5.56 ammo. Depending on the cyclic rate change, you may end up with a heavier buffer and the green spring with the can on. YMMV if not using good full power 5.56 ammunition.

SteveL
05-19-15, 10:37
I don't know if it's "the" best, but I'm running a Saker 556 on a BCM 11.5" upper with 10" KMR. The lower has an A5 system with Sprinco green spring and A5H3 buffer and it runs great. I've been debating off an on whether I want to try an adjustable gas block to fine tune it.

jerrysimons
05-19-15, 10:52
LMT 10.5" upper. The crane spec .071" gas-port from the factory is made for running a suppressor all day every day. If not then I would then grab either a Sionics or BCM 11.5" with gas ports about .076".

Jwknutson17
05-19-15, 12:04
LMT 10.5" upper. The crane spec .071" gas-port from the factory is made for running a suppressor all day every day. If not then I would then grab either a Sionics or BCM 11.5" with gas ports about .076".

This.. I feel my BCM 11.5 suppressed needs a SLR or syrac. If going for a suppressed rifle, from my experience, a 11.5 with a .063 port still runs with a Carbine spring and H3 buffer WITHOUT a suppressor and 5.56 full power ammo. This port size would be a little small for optimal use without a can.. But they will run beautifully suppressed with all types of ammo.

Shorting longer car barrels with proper size ports really make suppressed rigs nice. But out of the box, the LMT is a great way to go.

MGWS
05-19-15, 14:06
My LMT 10.5 ate everything suppressed with doing nothing more than throwing it on a lower (LMT). The BCM 11.5 is going strong but I haven't put it through the same abuse as the LMT yet.

tom12.7
05-19-15, 19:45

I would be hesitant to use a .076" ported milspecish 11.5" barrel for suppressed use with full power 5.56 ammo. I would tend to prefer more conservative porting than that.

Iraqgunz
05-19-15, 20:12
Not sure why. I have 19K rounds through my BCM 11.5" upper, 7.5K through my 12.5" .078 upper and another agency in GA and here in AZ has the SIONICS upper with lots of rounds through them.

I would be hesitant to use a .076" ported milspecish 11.5" barrel for suppressed use with full power 5.56 ammo. I would tend to prefer more conservative porting than that.

tom12.7
05-19-15, 20:24
I would still be hesitant on that, but I'm open to other options as port work for some PD's have been for .223 pressure and some other situations. I'm rarely outside the 5.56 pressure side.

Iraqgunz
05-19-15, 20:45
I am just trying to understand why you are hesitant. Those port numbers are somewhat conservative compared to others I have seen. Lots of people are suppressing 11.5" SBR with the .076 port size with no issue. I don't even shoot .223 ammo, except on odd occasions.

I would still be hesitant on that, but I'm open to other options as port work for some PD's have been for .223 pressure and some other situations. I'm rarely outside the 5.56 pressure side.

Watrdawg
05-20-15, 06:48
I'm shooting a Noveske 10.5" with a switchblock and have shot everything from PMC .223 to 5.56 M193 stuff and haven't had a single problem. I shoot it mostly suppressed, AAC M4 2K.

bates
05-20-15, 10:00
I'm looking at one of these for a dedicates suppressed sbr

accuracy is a big factor for me

http://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-ultramatch-223-wylde-mid-barrel-12-5

NotTheNSA
05-20-15, 14:24
As others have stated, a BCM EWL 11.5" KMR upper will probably be great. It's very light and comfortable in the hand.

tom12.7
05-20-15, 19:59
I am just trying to understand why you are hesitant. Those port numbers are somewhat conservative compared to others I have seen. Lots of people are suppressing 11.5" SBR with the .076 port size with no issue. I don't even shoot .223 ammo, except on odd occasions.

That port size is indeed conservative compared to others, but I tend to go smaller than that, especially if full power 5.56 ammo is used.

Another thing brought up by another post, I don't like excessively thin barrels on 50/50 suppressed guns, too much POI changes and barrel whip that fulcrums around the gas block pinning. Precision is all over the place in these usually, there's liabilities on unintentional impacts, including the loss of your ability to be able to put another round down range.

Iraqgunz
05-21-15, 04:18
Companies mentioned also make barrels that aren't thin.

That port size is indeed conservative compared to others, but I tend to go smaller than that, especially if full power 5.56 ammo is used.

Another thing brought up by another post, I don't like excessively thin barrels on 50/50 suppressed guns, too much POI changes and barrel whip that fulcrums around the gas block pinning. Precision is all over the place in these usually, there's liabilities on unintentional impacts, including the loss of your ability to be able to put another round down range.

fallenromeo
05-21-15, 13:14
OP, if you really want the Noveske SB 10.5" but don't want to build it yourself, and can't find one in stock, why not just buy all the parts for the upper from Rainier arms and pay the 100 bucks to have them assemble it before they ship it to you. They have the 10.5" SB barrel in stock, and I am sure they have everything else you would need too.

jstalford
05-21-15, 14:44
I don't think you can get the rail separately, so you would be stuck running a 7" rail. If I were going to build, probably just get some kind of adj. gas block that would go under a rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXBK
05-21-15, 14:56
It only took a few days for one to be available on the EE, here.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?169427-Factory-Noveske-10-5-switchblock-MUR-upper